» HookupBaits Discount Code
by GT Today at 8:58 am

» Reduced $ NIB Cumberland Float Tube w/ Rod Rack
by SP Dan Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» The boat has to have a name
by jeffcpr Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 am

» Updating The Ride - building out my Super Fat Cat
by SP Dan Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 pm

» Super Monster Heavy Duty Tube at the Hall Show in March (Long Beach)
by Misfit_Angler138 Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm

» Air pump suggestions
by chipmcd Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:10 pm

» You really can take it all with you!
by mthaubs Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm

» How does the tournament work..
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:15 am

» The next 2018 Tournament is up to sign up for
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:17 am

» FT - Tournament Series Jan - March
by jeffcpr Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:22 pm

» SP Dan's FT is ready for the OPENING DAY of 2017
by SP Dan Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Bleeding bass!

Bleeding bass!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bleeding bass! on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
So evidently this has been known for a while now. If you have a bass (or any fish you want to release), and it is bleeding, you can stop the bleeding by pouring some citrus soda like Mountain Dew or Sprite on the wound. The soda contains citric and phosphoric acids that cauterize the blood capillaries. The sugars and caffein that Mountain Dew contains also helps invigorate the fish. Supposedly it really works. The bleeding stops and you can release the fish and it doesn't die. I'm going to have to try this. I rarely hook fish where they bleed, but when I do, it makes me feel bad, because they sometimes die.

2 Re: Bleeding bass! on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
I am interested to know more thanks for sharing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

3 Re: Bleeding bass! on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Jerdon

Thanks Komori,

I found this while I was looking up articles the idea is Coke Pespi 7 Up. whatever

The fizz is what helps according to this guy.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

4 Re: Bleeding bass! on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 pm

SP Dan

Thanks Komori and Jerdon,

Due to your shared information, hopefully we'll have an improved mortality rate among our CPR'd fish ...
not to mention the improved supply and demand sales on soda pop! lol Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

5 Re: Bleeding bass! on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:50 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Thanks Komori and Jerdon,

Due to your shared information, hopefully we'll have an improved mortality rate among our CPR'd fish ...
not to mention the improved supply and demand sales on soda pop! lol Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

lol!

6 Re: Bleeding bass! on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:57 am

mthaubs

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
That is great information. Thanks

7 Re: Bleeding bass! on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 am

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Komori!

This is fascinating and I quickly found several videos showing this working in real time, and the fish definitely stop bleeding.

However, the whole point of gills is that they're basically all capillaries and if the soda shuts capillaries down, then I would think you may run the risk of basically suffocating the fish at the same time you stop the bleeding.

I've just asked about this on a forum that has real biologists, so it will be interesting to hear what the ichthyologists have to say.

http://www.ornerybob.com

8 Re: Bleeding bass! on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am

GT

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Interesting Komori............waiting to hear what you have found Bob, keep us posted........GT

9 Re: Bleeding bass! on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 am

jeffcpr

Admin
I am reminded of a time at work in the ER we had a nosebleed come in deep in the back (Posterior of the nose). The doctor and I worked to stop the bleed with rhino rockets with no success. That is when he asked me to go to the med room and get the Cocaine.

We used the liquid cocaine to swab the bleeding artery and it stopped as cocaine is a vasoconstrictor. So the idea is could we simple please a small amount on the bleeding gill instead of pouring it all over the gills.

Might be more trouble then it is worth but just thinking out loud.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

10 Re: Bleeding bass! on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am

Ornery Bob

The science guys have heard about this, but no one seems to be actually studying it. They referred me to a fishing site that has some info.

"...it has been found that fish blood clots about 35% faster in water than in air."

In other words, getting them back in the water as quickly as possible is probably the best answer.

The best answer as to why soda works, recently supported by a fish physiologist (Dr. Bruce Tufts), is that it's the carbon dioxide in the drink, which means it doesn't matter which brand of soda you use, and even something as simple as plain carbonated water could be effective."

"No one has addressed if there are any negative consequences to the practice."

My guys felt that it wouldn't hurt the fish, but it was a temporary effect at best and as soon as the fish was back in the water, the CO2 would essentially be washed away and you're back where you started. Their vote was quit screwing around with the fish and get him back in the water.

From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.ornerybob.com

11 Re: Bleeding bass! on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
And ..as an afterthought, I wonder what a carbonated soda does to a fish's protective slime coat. If it is possibly removed by the soda, the fish can end up with a fungal disease which will kill the fish eventually. It might swim off with the bleeding stopped only to die days later from a fungal infection. I'm sure everyone has seen as that ugly white coating on sick fish, especially on trout.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum