» HookupBaits Discount Code
by GT Today at 8:58 am

» Reduced $ NIB Cumberland Float Tube w/ Rod Rack
by SP Dan Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» The boat has to have a name
by jeffcpr Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 am

» Updating The Ride - building out my Super Fat Cat
by SP Dan Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 pm

» Super Monster Heavy Duty Tube at the Hall Show in March (Long Beach)
by Misfit_Angler138 Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm

» Air pump suggestions
by chipmcd Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:10 pm

» You really can take it all with you!
by mthaubs Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm

» How does the tournament work..
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:15 am

» The next 2018 Tournament is up to sign up for
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:17 am

» FT - Tournament Series Jan - March
by jeffcpr Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:22 pm

» SP Dan's FT is ready for the OPENING DAY of 2017
by SP Dan Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tube Fishing Tournament Series » Tournament Series Discussion » Discussion of Jan - March tourney

Discussion of Jan - March tourney

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:27 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
So we are done and I think things went very well but there is always room for improvement. I would like to hear from everyone, what did you like best what should we work on and what are the downfalls.

I would like to explain that I am hoping to not implement any changes to the next event. I would prefer to simply clean up the rules and find which ones we might need to enforce. If there are any changes we agree upon I would prefer to implement them by next year 2019's tourneys.

Post up your ideas concerns and wishes we will discuss and them and see where it all goes. This is open to everyone tourney members and forum members we want to hear from everyone. Thanks in advance for all your input we cannot make this better without you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

2 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:41 am

fishswag707

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
It was a fun tourney. Only thing I would improve is measuring the fish.

I think personally everyone should use a measuring board that has the numbers nice and big so it would be easier to see the length of the fish

Sent from Topic'it App

3 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:16 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
I would agree and we should work to have a few bump board choices. I don't think at least right now we make it one bump board but if there were 3 or 4 that were approved that would start to help this out some.

4 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 pm

SP Dan

Same rules for all and the same legal measures for all ... no guessing.

All fish must be measured the same way that the DFW would measure them, with the mouth of the fish completely shut.
All measures to be made on a semi hard flat surface.

FYI ... Home Depot has corrugated plastic sheets that can be trimmed to fit into the FT line-stripping lap nets. I've been using this
for approx 1 1/2 years now; on all of my FT's, and it works.

Just my 2-cents.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

5 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 pm

fishswag707

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Same rules for all and the same legal measures for all ... no guessing.

All fish must be measured the same way that the DFW would measure them, with the mouth of the fish completely shut.
All measures to be made on a semi hard flat surface.

FYI ... Home Depot has corrugated plastic sheets that can be trimmed to fit into the FT line-stripping lap nets. I've been using this
for approx 1 1/2 years now; on all of my FT's, and it works.

Just my 2-cents.

SP Dan     <"))>

I agree on the mouth being closed
And that I know of there are 3 solid bump boards

I use one and enjoy it very much.
My buddy has one of those zero bass bump board I think that's what it's called lol awesome board just a bit on the slippery side

Now I know sometimes it's hard to make sure the fish keeps it's mouth closed

If there is s picture with mouth open
Maybe deduct 1 point

Sent from Topic'it App

6 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:43 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
So I have heard this mouth shut, I think we need to talk about this, I agree on all points other them when it comes to toothy creatures.  Lip grippers are needed and we don't want injuries from unhappy Halibut.  This is my 2 cents I think this makes complete sense mouth close and in the freshwater guys, it makes complete sense.  What does everyone think?

Here are some points to work on
1. official Bump Boards 3 to 4 approved types.
2. Mouth close on all fish (what about the toothy guys) and -1 point for open mouth

7 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 am

SP Dan

I believe that this issue should be at the discretion of the judges critiquing the fish entry photos.

I also believe that the tournament rules should allow for the salt water anglers to close the mouth of the landed fish as much as possible with the lip-gripper while it is in the fish's mouth.

You can use the lip-gripper to push and or pull the mouth of the fish up against the stop of the bump board, closing the fish's mouth as much a possible.

I've done this with a 30" Hali on my lap tray and it really works but it's like landing a muscular, toothy 30" Piranha! Shocked  Yikes!!

Note: the thickness of the lip-gripper will also determine how much the mouth is allowed to close for the salt water guys.

I know that the thinner lip-grippers such as the original Bogga-Grip ($125.00) will allow for the fish's mouth to close much more than the thicker, cheaper plastic / nylon imitations of the Bogga-Grip.

My 2-cents.

SP Dan     <"))><

8 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am

joshyouwa.r

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I think the above point are worth visiting. I think for the future you need to focus getting everyone involved. Personally I feel like the tournament is too long and allows those who fish early to get out ahead and stay ahead. Especially with limiting let week entry points. That being said perhaps the tourney is shortened to one month or 6 weeks instead of 3. But that's my 2 cents.

9 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:29 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Thanks very much for the input anyone want to comment on this. I agree on needing to get more people involved. That was the idea of the raffle for none placing competitors. I think however there are always going to those that sign but just never compete. What does everyone else think.

10 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:37 pm

joshyouwa.r

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
As a side note as well I'd be interested in even 1 week tournaments or even weekend long ones. Just for fun or in place of a raffle. Something like 5 dollar buy in and 11st place gets x 222nd gets y and 3rd gets z. But im sure people will have something to add as well.

11 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:38 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
This would be interesting weekend tourneys in between the main events.

12 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:49 pm

joshyouwa.r

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
You could even have sponsored events from the sponsors of they were interested....

13 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Ya that is what i was just thinking. The idea a while back was to have shorter tourneys and more meaning 3 or 4 a year. That great but ptizes are not always easy to come by.

But shorter main events with weekend fillers for fun that could be a good idea. What does everyone think.

14 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Jerdon

I thought our trial run for a month was long way back when.
However, I am out of commision for a few months so let that weigh in.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

15 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 pm

SP Dan

Having already competed in (3) three of the FTFF tournaments to date, I'll add my observation ...

1) I'm totally open to a 1-month long tournament with unlimited fish entries.

2) No bonus points to keep it simple, fare and fun with no more short fish for points.

3) Only (1) one point awarded for each DFW minimum length qualifying tournament entry fish.

4) Cash entry and cash prizes.
If the sponsors wish to get involved, then award prizes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners along with the cash prizes. The sponsors can ship directly to each of the winners.

5)
The tournament entry fees should be increased to $30 per tournament with $20 going toward the cash prizes and $10 of it going toward the FTFF operating funds.

6) I've also come to realize that the January - March SW anglers can not keep up with the FW Bass bite during these months so maybe we need to do
some more tweaking to the fish lengths in order to possibly even out the SW / FW scoring .......

Or ... please consider this:

7) Holding (2) two separate winter tournaments, both at the same time ... one being for the SW anglers and one being for the FW anglers.

8 ) Each having their own list of tournament species.

For example: We could return back to the DFW minimum species lengths for each SW and or FW tournament species with no bonus points. Simple.

My 2-cents. Cool

SP Dan     <"))><

PS ... Please jump in on all of the above items with your thoughts.

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total

16 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:17 am

joshyouwa.r

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Having already competed in (3) three of the FTFF tournaments to date, I'll add my observation ...

1) I'm totr7ally open to a 1-month long tournament with unlimited fish entries.

2) No bonus points to keep it simple, fare and fun with no more short fish for points.

3) Only (1) one point awarded for each DFW minimum length qualifying tournament entry fish.

4) Cash entry and cash prizes.
If the sponsors wish to get involved, then award prizes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners along with the cash prizes. The sponsors can ship directly to each of the winners.

5) The tournament entry fees should be increased to $30 per tournament with $20 going toward the cash prizes and $10 of it going toward the FTFF operating funds.

6) I've also come to realize that the January - March SW anglers can not keep up with the FW Bass bite during these months so maybe we need to do
some more tweaking to the fish lengths in order to possibly even out the SW / FW scoring .......

Or ... please consider this:

7) Holding (2) two separate winter tournaments, both at the same time ... one being for the SW anglers and one being for the FW anglers.

8 ) Each having their own list of tournament species.

For example: We could return back to the DFW minimum species lengths for each SW and or FW tournament species with no bonus points. Simple.

My 2-cents. Cool

SP Dan     <"))><

PS ... Please jump in on all of the above items with your thoughts.

I completely agree and like all of these points. I would be in for a cash entry and cash prize. I like the unlimited points. Or maybe a happy medium of something more than 5 fish. Makes it more interesting to me and more fair as well

17 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 am

jeffcpr

Admin
OK so I am thinking the shorter tourneys are a good idea and maybe we move to this in 2019, I still would like to hear from others about this.

Here is my issue with the money idea, I am not a fan. People will always have an issue with how things go and cheating will always be a possible issue but add money to the equation and you can start to get some major issues. We can up to $500 plus up to win and if someone feels they lose but a few points off a questionable posted fish in their eyes not good. We ran a money-driven tourney in the past and it quickly went from that looks like fun to arguing and fighting in just a few outings. I am just not into the Money idea guys. I am sure the majority of us would be ok with it but there are some that will mess it up for the rest of us.

I would like to say that we did no limits on points and one person that could stay in the water mostly all day ran away with it all in less than a few days. I would prefer open points but that is much more of a deterrent to the ones that cannot catch up.

I have worked with the sponsors and even though I say send to the winners they send to me. I have 4 Cumberlands in the Garage and 3 "A Better Bags" as well. One day I will get this all lined up as for now, I am still trying to manage the finer points and make it easier on myself over time.

It looks as though we will be shorting the tourney in 2019 to maybe 6 weeks and we will maybe look at the weekend-long tourneys between the 2 main events. Maybe we look at trying the weekend events as fillers to keep people interested between the big events.

Keep it all coming guys lets discuss all points I am open to hearing what everyone thinks and the above is just what I have learned over the years now.

18 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 am

fishswag707

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
I think for 2019 there should be month long tournaments but 1 for salt 1 for fresh
5 fish limit a week and it should be 20 points per fish no matter the size as long it's is with in the dfw say
Example bass min. California is 12 inches so as long as it's 12inches that's 20 points
or you do overall length of fish

Example your submit a bass 14 inches then your points would be 14 points
And I think if the mouth is open it should be a minus 1 from the total length of fish

I recommend maybe we use tourney x that's what I've done n the past with the yakabass and it seemed like it worked out great

Just my 2 cents

Sent from Topic'it App

19 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:56 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Tourney X I will look it up.

As for the minus 1 point, I think this is a good idea to make sure people work to keep the mouth of there fish closed in the picture. This is an issue so we need to explain better how to picture your catch and the penalty for not getting the right shot (minus 1).

20 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:18 am

GT

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I know cash is a good thing but you do have problems when money is the main focus.........just a thought, you earn points to spend on prizes. First place finisher uses his total points to buy whatever prizes he or she wants. This would allow the possibility of getting what you want even if your 3rd or 4th in the standings.

In my case if I got enough points for a Cumbie, I would pass. I already have a good tube. I might want a rod rack and a fishing net . Put a points price on each item. This way their is no set 1st 2nd or 3rd place prizes. People could get something in 10th place..........Just a thought from an Ole guy............

Whatever measurement rules you come up with is good with me, just make them clear to everyone.

Entry fee, with no cash prizes, have all the money go to running this FREE forum.

Also, can we limit the size of the tournament card. With all the vendors on the card its getting a little cumbersome, just my 2 cents..............GT

21 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am

Troutbum

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Just a suggestion, how about five (5) fish a week no size min. One point an inch. So if a fish that's 10 " its  10 points.  Might get more people on the board and will help lousy fishermen like myself. Very Happy

22 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:36 am

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Just a suggestion, how about five (5) fish a week no size min. One point an inch. So if a fish that's 10 " its  10 points.  Might get more people on the board and will help lousy fishermen like myself. Very Happy

What do you guys think of this I am ok with this myself not sure what others think. Shocked

23 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 am

fishswag707

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Just a suggestion, how about five (5) fish a week no size min. One point an inch. So if a fish that's 10 " its  10 points.  Might get more people on the board and will help lousy fishermen like myself. [smiley][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What do you guys think of this I am ok with this myself not sure what others think. [smiley][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I wouldn't mind it personally but I think it should be for specific fish

Say if it's for trout then strictly for trout

It's a bass tourney then just bass

Multi spices tourney I fell would be hard to keep up with unless there were multiple tourneys

Cause sum guys and gals might not wanna do it cause all they have were there at is trout or pike or cats etc etc

But I feel like we are going in the right direction

I think we should set up a live discussion on YouTube or Facebook and everyone could log on and chat it up

Maybe make a date for it and have discussion points so it doesn't go a million directions

Sent from Topic'it App

24 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 am

jeffcpr

Admin
I like that idea we do have a Chat room here that anyone can use, but Facebook would be a great route as well. These things can go sideways fast so it is important to have a clear direction when this is set up.

25 Re: Discussion of Jan - March tourney on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm

mthaubs

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Maybe you should look at the age thing. When I retire, I would I think have the time to fish more thus be able to put more points on the board. That is why I do not join the tournaments. I would have to give up work or my Wife to compete. By the way I did capitalize wife on purpose.  Just a thought.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum