» Float Tube Review - Outcast Super Fat Cat
by Ornery Bob Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm

» Side Imaging Fish Finder on Super Fat Cat Tube
by Wayno57 Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm

» Droppin & Poppin for Saltwater Bass
by Wonka Weeyaga Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 am

» 3 out of my 4 Float Tubes Are For Sale
by SP Dan Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am

» Fly Fishing Show in Pleasanton - February 24th & 25th - Wader Skins Exhibiting
by SP Dan Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 am

» Float tubes 4 $ale, I have four.
by GT Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:44 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Share Your Photos & Videos » Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos

Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Ornery Bob

One of the cool things about my little YouTube channel is that sometimes my viewers tell me what they want to see and so I get some great ideas about what to do.

In this case, I've recently had two requests that I consider in the realm of float tube safety, so it seemed like the right time to start a series with that theme. I have a couple ideas for a few future videos that should be fun. I'm pretty sure at some point you're going to see me take a dive and test out my PFD. green happy

One viewer asked why he needs a PFD and which PFD I recommend and the other said he had concerns about how to deal with tides and winds, so that's where these two videos came from.

Both of these videos are very simple and basic, but a lot of people are starting from scratch, so I think even basic information is worthwhile.

Stay Safe and Happy Fishing!

http://www.ornerybob.com

2 Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Wonka Weeyaga

Newby
Newby
Thanks Bob. As a newb I really appreciate the info, especially the tide and wind info.

Question for Huntington Harbor: if I fished the outgoing, is the current flowing towards the simple green building/bridge? If I launched from Davenport, which direction is the current flowing on the outgoing?

3 Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Wonka. I'm glad I'm helping!

If you look at Huntington Harbor on Google Earth, you will see that it drains and fills from both the western end at the bridge and the eastern end via Bolsa Chica. That means the direction of the tide depends on where you are.

Launching out of Seabridge and going into the main channel is pretty straightforward. Outgoing takes you to the bridge, incoming the other way.

Speaking of that particular channel, I've experienced the situation a couple of times there that when the tidal coefficient was high, there was almost no slack tide. One minute you're going to the bridge, like it or not, then low tide hits and you get maybe two minutes rest, and then you're going back to the launch.

For Humbolt and Davenport, the incoming pushes you deeper into the harbor (north) and the outgoing takes you south. Sometimes it seems like the tidal flow in the various channels gets confused, so I'm always watching my drift when I stop to do cast and retrieve or I'm simply resting. If you hit a channel junction where the tide seems confused, fish the heck out of it. I've found eddies that were fish hotels!

4 Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Wonka Weeyaga

Newby
Newby
OK, thanks. That makes sense. The Bolsa Chica side seems like such a tight bottle neck, so I wasnt sure how that affected tidal flow on that end. I appreciate the tips!

My schedule is always tight, so I have to take what I can get. So far I dont see any outgoing / incoming sessions in the near future for me. This info really helps me plan accordingly.

Ron

5 Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Ornery Bob

Don't forget that when we launched at Davenport, we were able to push against the tide pretty easily at first and then let it take us back. If the tidal coefficient isn't large, you don't always need the perfect deal. Just do your fighting at the start of the session and not the end.

Have fun!

6 Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:13 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Excellent videos Bob.

Very good tips and suggestions on PDF safety and for planning sessions on the water FT fishing with the predicted conditions. Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

7 Re: Float Tube Safety - Two New Videos on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Dan!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum