Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Non-Fishing Related Discussions » Off Topic Discussions » Mishaps on the tube

Mishaps on the tube

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Mishaps on the tube on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:54 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
What kind of mishaps have you had with your Float Tubes? Have you had popped bladders, run-ins with water skiers? Have you hook your own tubes or had an issue with wind and or current causing you mayhem. Tell us about your mishaps we would like to discuss these in future video reports and magazine issues. The Float Tube Fishing Forum always promotes fishing with a friend and your PFD as most of you know accidents can happen anywhere anytime, so be prepared and be safe.

I am getting some interesting comments, seal attacks, Osprey diving after stringers of fish. tipping forward if leaning too far forward, and wind kicking your butt. what do you have to add to the story help us learn from your mistakes? salute

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

2 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:35 am

GT

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Turd bird, a Pelican resting on wires above me at the Los Patos Bridge, missed me by two feet. The splattering on the water scared the H out of me........could of been a stinky day of fishing..........GT

3 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:07 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Ha Ha Ha that is classic

4 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:39 pm

SP Dan

1) When I first started FTF, I misjudged the the depth to the sandy ocean floor, slide off my seat and dunked myself above the top of my waders.
2) When I first started FTF, I learned that Force Fins don't float but rather sink.
After a 20 minutes of diving for it, my buddy Stan trolled the bottom with a treble hook and retrieved it for me! Pheww! Now ... that's a buddy!
3) I've had my fins and legs raised up almost out of the water; from below, by a gang of harbor seals playing with me like I was a pool toy.
4) I've had a 25' to 30' whale in LA Harbor swim directly beneath me in 15-ft of gin clear water while next to the jetty.
5) I've been snake bit twice in two weeks by Sculpin. Ouch! Ouch!

SO ... WHAT'S NEXT?? Shocked lol

SP Dan     <"))><

PS ... This coming March will be my 2-years of experience at FTF since my maiden FT voyage in NPH.

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

5 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Casting Call

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Not on a float tube, but on my 'toon.. Was fishing Irvine, trolling back from the Dam. I knew I had a slow leak on one of the Pontoons - I heard a very very very feint hissing sound when I first got in the water that morning. I took my portable pump with me just in case.

Anyway, as I started my way back towards the boat ramp, the pontoon with a slow leak kept getting softer and softer.. By the time I was halfway back to the ramp, my pontoon frame was in the water. I had to stop at the waters edge every five minutes or so to pump that pontoon. I even tried to "patch" that slow leak with bubble gum..lol
I made it back safe to the boat ramp.

6 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:35 pm

GT

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Captain always stays with his craft...Good for u......GT

7 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Casting Call

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Oh, this past friday, took my brother and GF to Dixon. We rented a boat, and as the GF was getting in the boat, she did the old "one foot in the boat, the other still on the dock while the boat begins to drift away from the dock".. lol
I had cat like reflexes that morning and dropped to the ground and held that boat so it didnt drift any further and with my superman strength, slowly pulled the boat back towards the dock. haha

8 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:23 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Razz Razz Razz Razz glad it all worked out Razz Razz Razz Razz

9 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:53 pm

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:1) When I first started FTF, I misjudged the the depth to the sandy ocean floor, slide off my seat and dunked myself above the top of my waders.
2) When I first started FTF, I learned that Force Fins don't float but rather sink.
After a 20 minutes of diving for it, my buddy Stan trolled the bottom with a treble hook and retrieved it for me! Pheww! Now ... that's a buddy!
3) I've had my fins and legs raised up almost out of the water; from below, by a gang of harbor seals playing with me like I was a pool toy.
4) I've had a 25' to 30' whale in LA Harbor swim directly beneath me in 15-ft of gin clear water while next to the jetty.
5) I've been snake bit twice in two weeks by Sculpin. Ouch! Ouch!

SO ... WHAT'S NEXT?? Shocked lol

SP Dan     <"))><

PS ... This coming March will be my 2-years of experience at FTF since my maiden FT voyage in NPH.

#3 sounds scary. Do territorial males ever bite?? I've seen them get pretty aggressive at bait barges

#4 sounds so cool and humbling...would love to experience that

#5 - ouch. I remember my dad reeling in pain from one of those

10 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Ornery Bob

I've hit the water three times. Twice by standing up on a slippery bottom and once in the surf. I've always managed to hang on and get back in my seat, but it definitely gets the ticker going.

The biggest scare I've had on the tube was a jet skier who was showing off and going way too fast and almost ran me over before he decided to look where he was going.

I've been checked out by seals swimming by, but never had them get any closer than a few feet. I once had a seal steal a bonito off my line, but it was many years ago when I was on a party boat.

http://www.ornerybob.com

11 Re: Mishaps on the tube on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:47 pm

SP Dan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] sounds scary. Do territorial males ever bite?? I've seen them get pretty aggressive at bait barges.

Hi ya Wonka Weeyaga,

I've only heard of seals taking other peoples catches while tethered off the sides of their boats or kayaks from game clips or stringers.
I've been told by others that the seals had actually un-clipped and stole their catch without the fishermen even realizing that the seals were there.
Seals are very inquisitive, stealth and as well ... intelligent.

I could only imagine that if I had fish on a game-clip; dangling in the water next to me, that the seals would had been a lot more aggressive and that they would come much closer to investigate and or to steal a free meal.

One of the seals; on that day, was a very large male and the rest were either females or juveniles, I honestly feel that the seals meant me no harm but were merely curious about me .... they still FREAKED ME OUT!! lol

SP Dan     <"))><

6) I've had my air bladders punctured twice and I've had a repair patch fail me once.
So I never launch without my inflation hose, it has allowed me to get back to my launch and or has allowed me to continue on with my session. I've also lent it out to other float tubers who had air leaks and they were able to continue on with their sessions as well.

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum