The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Holiday Gift Ideas
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Our 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive is now in effect
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» What do you think Saltwater VS Freshwater should we?
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

» Early present
by Hunt Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

» Santa Ana River Lakes
by GT Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am

» Edge Open Heel Flex Scuba Fin
by jeffcpr Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

» Wader and Boot Dryer
by SP Dan Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 pm

» Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stockingfoot Breathable Guide Pant
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

» Hello from Vhanaya
by Hunt Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 am

» Waterproof Reels - Penn Spinfisher and KastKing Sharky II
by singletrack Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

» Fish finder recommendations
by Jerdon Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Float Tubes, Pontoons, and Equipment Reviews » waders vs Waders Skins

waders vs Waders Skins

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 am

branders

Bobber
Bobber
Hi everyone! I'm currently looking into buying some waders. I've never used waders before so can someone that has used both waders and Waders Skins tell me which you prefer and maybe why? Thanks!

2 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:55 am

jeffcpr

Admin
I have not used wader skins only waders. I use waders for 2 reasons one I don't like the idea of soaking in the water all day long but that is just me. 2. they can help to keep you warm in cold water, of course, you get hot on hotter days.

The drawbacks are they simply add an extra piece of equipment that you need to carry and care for. Also, there are concerns about falling into the water and filling your waders with water. This is a fear and I think it is not really a major concern but a concern none the less.

As for Waterskins I don't have experience so I will leave SP Dan to compare and contrast, but the pro's of the product are as follow as I understand it.
1. They keep you warm in cold water even though you are getting wet.
2. There is no concern of the waderskins filling with water and sinking as there is already water in the skins.
3. they are convertible you can use the chest and legs or just the legs so if it gets too hot you can choose what you need for the day.

I wish I had more knowledge of waderskins for you, and I am sure SP Dan will add his 2 cents as soon as he can. Is there anyone else that has any info to add.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

3 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am

branders

Bobber
Bobber
Thank you jeffcpr, those are some good points. I tend to run hot and I'm not worried about the salt water on my skin so so far I'm leaning on Wader Skins but I just don't know enough to pull the trigger yet. I do like the fact that Wader Skins are custom fit being that I have tree trunks for legs.

4 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:28 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Let me see if I can hook you up with the Man "Ron" I will call him over. afro

5 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 am

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
I already gave Ron the heads up to chime-in.

For me, I also tend to run on the warm side and I actually started out my FT journey wearing my Simm's G-4 waders.
The down side with waders: when the sun breaks out of the clouds and it warms up, I could only drop the chest waders down to my waist and I remained over heated for the remainder of my sessions.

So, for the next full year I only wore board shorts. The coldest it got was: the water temp got down to 54 deg when the air had gotten down to 46 deg. I was fine with that. Burrrr!
The down side with bare legs: After 6 - 12 hrs in 54 deg water, I would try to stand up; from my FT seat at the end of my session, and I found that I didn't really have the strength of my legs; to hold my balance, beneath me for a few good minutes.

Ron, the Owner of Wader Skins came along; as one of our newest sponsors, and he offered all the FTFF members just the Wader Skin- Leggings; as an option to his full set of Wader Skins. Like the Wader Skins, the Leggings are also are custom designed to the dimension of each person's legs.

Positive note:
I've only worn them the one time and I found them to be very comfortable and I luv mine! I couldn't feel the change of the water thermals through the Leggings, which was a good thing and I never over-heated, nor did I ever get close to it. I stayed very comfortable.

The salt water temperatures are down and close to 65 deg now and I'll be wearing mine this coming Saturday.

My legs normally only get wet starting from about 2-3 inches down below the back sides of my knees; which I refer to as the small of my knee. My Leggings come up to 1/2 way up my thighs (as seen in pictures previously posted). I personally don't feel the need to wear a full rubber suit when I only get wet from below the knees.

I also wear a Simm's Pac-Lite water-proof / wind breaker jacket that I can lawyer up; or down, beneath the jacket according to the weather conditions.

I hope that some of this was helpful to you in your choice making .

My 2 cents. lol

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

6 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Jerdon

My 2  cents:
I do not "run hot" and I certainly would not sit in 54 degree water with out a wader or wet suit. I started out with a 5 mm thick neoprene wader which was way too warm for anything in SoCal. Up in Mammoth and the surrounding lakes it was fine. However, I ended up cutting the feet out of the waders so they water could help cool me. I have used my surfing wetsuits with mixed results running to the warm side. I bought a pair of breathable Redington Waders a few years back and they are perfect for fishing. I wear running tights underneath most of the time, but if it is cold I wear fleece sweatpants. If I start early I can wear a jacket and take it off when the sun comes out. The light weight breathable was the ticket for me.

I hope this helps.

FYI
A zipper for nature breaks is a great idea as well. Otherwise make  sure the waders are plenty roomy so you can "whip it out" should nature call.

Last edited by Jerdon on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FYI)

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

7 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:43 pm

GT

Old Timer
Old Timer
Simple for me, I only fish 9 months a year, summer months too hot for me, even wearing board shorts......

Winter time its waders with feet, breathable, brand Compass 360. A really good wader for the price. Months Oct thru April

Warmer months board shorts. May, June..............GT

8 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:34 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
lot's of good information pouring in for branders. Many things to consider ... indeed!

SP Dan <"))><

9 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:41 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Good job FTFF this is great info and I am sure we are helping branders to make the best decision he can make. Keep it coming it is all great stuff.

10 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:16 am

rjb_Skins

Newby
Newby
Branders…You are getting a lot of good feedback from the Forum.

I am the founder of Wader Skins™️ and am happy to tell you the story of how the product came to be. Being a long time fly fisherman Wader Skins™️ started as a passion project for me. In my many years of enjoying the sport, I have experienced a number of occasions where I have found myself in dangerous situations (ranging from losing my footing while wading in high water and getting soaked & swept downstream to finding myself slowly sinking in a leaky float tube wearing conventional waders). An epiphany moment came in 2001 when I was fishing on the upper Sacramento River in Northern California with my 10 year old son and two nephews. It was a hot summer day and my son had rolled his waders down to his waist to cool off. When he waded back into the river he slipped, was swept into the current and water filled up his waders. Luckily I was fishing just downstream and was able to grab onto him and lift him out of the water. It was then that I decided there was a need to design a better alternative…a way to enable people to wade in any water safely. About ten years ago, I tested the original concept, wearing a conventional wetsuit while fishing for steelhead on the Trinity River on a snowy day in high 30 degree water, and found the experience (10 hours in the river) to be comfortable and safe. This is where the Wader Skins™️ idea came from. I felt If I could take the best aspects of a wetsuit and make it versatile enough to be used in a wide range of aquatic sports, this would be an exciting new product. After many years of prototype designs and testing, we are now excited to bring Wader Skins™️ to market.

Wader Skins™️ are custom made here in the USA to fit YOU…one size (e.g. small, medium & large) does not fit all. When you order Wader Skins™️, we get a series of measurements from you (takes about 10 minutes), and make them precisely to fit your body…one at time. Wader Skins™️ are made of 3-millimeter neoprene…with torso and legging sections, attached by Velcro. Think of Wader Skins™️ like a convertible wetsuit that you can adapt to various water conditions depending on the coverage you need. We have worn Wader Skins™️ in water temperatures as low as 38 degrees and been very comfortable for six hour+ stretches. As well, on hot days, we have just used the leggings to fish in small streams or in pontoon boats when the outside temperature has been over 90 degrees.

Don’t just take my word for it…Here is a testimonial from Dave McCants, an expert fly fisherman who has worn his Wader Skins™️ for some time:

“I have been using Wader Skins for two months now. Wader Skins are a welcome relief from heavy, baggy, and water filling traditional waders. I say water filling because I’m a bit clumsy, and tend to fall (many times at Putah Creek, CA and now on the Rogue River, OR my new home river) and then spend time emptying 40 gallons of water out of my waders and wringing out my socks. These falls can make for bad and short days on the river due to getting cold and miserable. Not so with Wader Skins!
Wader Skins are 3mm and thus light weight, yet custom fit and conform to my body (my wife says I look like an egg with sticks for legs) for total comfort. Due to Wader Skins conforming to my body (custom measured and built), when I enter water over my thighs (aggressive wader, just ask anyone) the very thin layer of water heats up to body temperature within 30 seconds. I am comfortable all day in wader skins. I only wear the torso section when it is hot and “wet wade” to stay cool, or I am fishing local lakes from my pontoon boat. I add the Wader Skins leggings when fishing the Holy Water on the Rogue (temp out of Dam 42-48 degrees) and stay totally comfortable, not having to leave the water to warm up in the local heated bathrooms.
I appreciate the efforts the owners of Wader Skins have made in creating a new product that is safer, more comfortable and stylish enough to give me confidence to walk into restaurants for lunch!
Thank you Wader Skins!”
David P. McCants, California CPA, Retired, Medford, Oregon

Wader Skins™️ are designed to be the only piece of aquatic wear that you will ever need to buy. You can comfortably use Wader Skins™️ while fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing, swimming, wake boarding and any other aquatic sport. You can buy the full Wader Skins™️ Versatile Aquatic System (Torso & Leggings) for $299.95 or just the Leggings for $99.95 to deliver the right amount coverage you need!

Check out our website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps!

Ron Beltramo
Founder of Wader Skins™️

http://www.waderskins.com

11 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:54 am

branders

Bobber
Bobber
Oh man, I love this forum! You guys are great! I think I have enough info to make my final decision. Im going to go with the Waders Skins. I think its the best option for me and what pushed me over the fence is the safety factor. Thank you everyone for your post.

12 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:48 am

rjb_Skins

Newby
Newby
Branders - Great choice! You can go to the website and take your measurements and order at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] When you order, we will include a complimentary Wader Skins Coozie (to keep your favorite beverage of choice cold (or warm). Looking forward to you getting your pair and enjoying them.
Thanks,

Ron Beltramo
Founder of Wader Skins™️

http://www.waderskins.com

13 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Very cool guys i sm sure you will enjoy.

Sent from Topic'it App

14 Re: waders vs Waders Skins on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:29 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Wow!
I truly believe that you made a great choice branders in selecting the Wader Skin product.
I know that you'll be happy with your selection. Thumbs Up
Ron is also fantastic to work with.

SP Dan     <"))><

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum