» Check this out guys.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 6:51 am

» Beginner's question about purchase of fins
by SP Dan Yesterday at 5:55 am

» Happy Fathers Day
by Jerdon Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:12 pm

» Seven Bass Sale's Page
by jeffcpr Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:45 am

» What happened to the curlytail, twister type worms?
by Jerdon Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 pm

» OK - that was quick....
by GT Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 pm

» Reduced $ NIB Cumberland Float Tube w/ Rod Rack
by SP Dan Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 am

» Fishing Apps... lets talk apps
by Mo2vation Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 pm

» FOR SALE FATCAT
by kirkboat Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:27 am

» To Scent Or Not To Scent
by GT Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » U.S. Post and Topics » CA Float Tubers » Help Me Decide

Help Me Decide

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 5:31 am

Capt Ray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Gentlemen,

I need your help. I am military moving back to SD for a three year tour. Last time here I purchased an ODC420 to fish out of and had zero problems.

I can not find the 420 any more (only lightweight version)so I am looking at the Outcast. I have read most of the posted reviews but they are a bit outdated. Not against the lightweight version if it is durable enough.

I am looking at the SFC but it is over $400 and when you add a bottom machine (hook 5), mount (float tube fanatics) etc. it is at $1000. I see the FC4 LCS on Amazon ($229) but it is not listed on Outcast's web page. Amazon also has the FC4 Deluxe for $299 but again not listed on Outcast's web page.

I am 5' 8" a bit shy of 180. I will fish almost every weekend over the three years. Looking for something dependable from a company with good customer service. Your guys are current and on the water a good bit so what would you suggest?

I really am partial to the U-Boat style tubes as I have used several different styles and this best suits me.

Thanks in advance. Ray

2 Re: Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 8:00 am

Jerdon

I am 5' 10' at 200 pounds even. 
I have fished my Cumberland for 4 years and am quite happy with it. There are a few threads here about their phenomenal customer service as well. The price is what made me pick the Cumberland over the FC 4. Everyone seems to agree the Outcast is a bit better as far as quality.

If you like the Outcast products look at the FishCat 5 Max, its is a little bigger than the Cumberland or the FC4.

The Creek Company has not been good to us as a group as far as customer service in the past.

I hope this helps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3 Re: Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 10:26 am

Capt Ray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I have a couple of friends with Cumberland's that have had a few minor bladder leaks. What is your experience and what model do you use?

I did look at the FC 5 but it looks like the pocket opening is a single zipper and looks small. That was my only complaint with my 420.

4 Re: Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 10:30 am

Capt Ray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I did find the FC on the Outcast web page so I have a bit more information. I see most of the FC's are rated for 250lbs. Even with my bottom machine, rod holder, rods/reels and other gear I will be short of that.

5 Re: Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 am

Jerdon

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I have a couple of friends with Cumberland's that have had a few minor bladder leaks.  What is your experience and what model do you use?

I did look at the FC 5 but it looks like the pocket opening is a single zipper and looks small.  That was my only complaint with my 420.

I have had no problem with the bladders in 4 years. I did have a  stitching issue on the front seams and Classic Accessories sent me a new tube immediately, great customer service. In fact I sewed up the seams myself and I still use that tube. 

This one

As far as storage I have a Plano 3600 sitting on top of a Plano 3700 in each pocket. Two 3700 size boxes will not fit.

One final note, I still have the brand new Cumberland in the box as a backup tube.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

6 Re: Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 1:13 pm

inthedeep2

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
cruise craigs or even Costco has the Cumberland with fins for $150

7 Re: Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Misfitdog

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
FISH CAT 5 MAX just came out a week or so ago and is a beast of a tube , I have seen it in person , much larger then my Fish cat 4 deluxe and it has plenty of room too put a 3700 plano box and a 3600 in a pocket .. it is much wider now and has a weight limit of 300# , plus only weighs 15.5 lbs compared to a cumberland at 18lbs .. If i was going to pull the plug I would seriously look at the FISH CAT 5 MAX priced at $299 , the tube is a tank ! You cannot go wrong either way and both companies have great customer service .

This is coming from a guy who owned an ODC 420 as well I had no problem with the toughness of the tube just the stitching and terrible customer service Sad

8 Re: Help Me Decide on Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Capt Ray

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Called my buddy Alonzo in SD and he is still using the same Cumberland that had had when I was stationed there in 2013 with zero issues.  Given I will only use it for three years I think that is the way I will go.  After that I return to Florida and you sure don't want to float tube around these parts.

Thanks gentlemen.

Last edited by Capt Ray on Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum