The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Our 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive is now in effect
by GT Today at 10:52 am

by jeffcpr Today at 10:43 am

» Holiday Gift Ideas
by SP Dan Today at 6:58 am

» What do you think Saltwater VS Freshwater should we?
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

» Early present
by Hunt Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

» Santa Ana River Lakes
by GT Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am

» Edge Open Heel Flex Scuba Fin
by jeffcpr Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

» Wader and Boot Dryer
by SP Dan Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 pm

» Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stockingfoot Breathable Guide Pant
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

» Hello from Vhanaya
by Hunt Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 am

» Waterproof Reels - Penn Spinfisher and KastKing Sharky II
by singletrack Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

» Fish finder recommendations
by Jerdon Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tube Fishing Tournament Series » Tournament Series Discussion » Tournament input

Tournament input

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Another idea is to limit the catch of each species entered.
Example: what ever your set # is

Sand Bass 10 fish entered per week
LMB 10 fish entered per week
Halibut 10 fish entered per week
Musky 10 fish entered per week
Roosterfish 10 fish entered per week
Calico Bass 10 fish entered per week

A small prize for the combination of the most FW and SW fish caught during a single tournament.

27 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:52 pm

@SP Dan wrote:Another idea is to limit the catch of each species entered.
Example: what ever your set # is

Sand Bass    10 fish entered per week
LMB             10 fish entered per week
Halibut         10 fish entered per week
Musky          10 fish entered per week
Roosterfish   10 fish entered per week
Calico Bass   10 fish entered per week

A small prize for the combination of the most FW and SW fish caught during a single tournament.

Yeah right....just cut my nuts off while your at it. My point exactly was that you guys that live close to salt also WITHOUT exception live close to fresh, however, the opposite is not true.

And I'll need every advantage to catch up anyway. The next tournament will be easier, because the wind will lay down some, but right now....even BANK FISHING isn't going to be fun.

28 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Jerdon

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I'm not sure we're in disagreement Jeff.  If teeth are an issue, wouldn't keeping an open mouth and holding the fish by the mouth be more dangerous than making sure it's closed and pushed up against the board?  Your hand doesn't need to be near the mouth in that case...just push the mouth closed with the board if need be.  

Also, what are spins on a fish?  I've never heard of that reference before (not trying to be a wise@$$).

HugeEuge57

I don't think was answered for you.

SPINES, you know along the back. SP Dan put a hole in his tube.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

29 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Jerdon

I have to say I was against any limits from the get go! I know my local lake can be pretty stingy for days and then bust wide open for one.

However, watching what happened last tourney, and how this current event is shaking out, the pros have an advantage. Either we get more pro's or we make it a club level event. At the club level, I like Misfitdog and SP Dans idea of a weekly limit. Make the limit the same for all fish whether it is 10 or 7 I wouldn't care, but have it apply to all species. 

The problem I see will be a weekly card and the timelines to turn them in.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

30 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Like I said before, start down the slippery slope.....

This guy has more time to fish than I do.... Those fish are easier to catch....ect..

You know, I mentioned that saltwater guys have an advantage on being able to fish freshwater or salt, never said any rules needed to be initiated to level the field.

I do have some concerns about pro fishermen, which I will not discuss on the open forum.

But, as far as I'm concerned, this is a friendly tournament on an honor system...( obviously, I'm not cheating ...WITH ZERO POINTS!!!).... but it IS POSSIBLE, but anyone who would needs more than the prizes at the end of the line....but proffesional, or perhaps religious counseling, or a good ol fashioned Texas arse whoopin.

But, I think the parameters are FINE the way they are...and if someone needs to cheat, or feels slighted by the rules, they just shouldn't participate.

31 Re: Tournament input on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:20 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Ok so i know that we are also looking at fresh vs salt here. Another dis advatge for some and an advantage for others. We will need to draw some clear lines here as well and that can be done.
I keep hereing the idea of cheating and I know this is a concern. I did hear once that fences are built for those that follow the law, and those break the law could careless. In other words we can set all the rules we want we simple have to keep it simple and fun and watch out for people bending the rules, and that is sometimes nit easy.
As for the tournament card maybe instead of a new weekly are we could add a small section that allows a member to write a code on it. That code could change by monthly maybe weekly. I do like Dan's idea of the painters tape with the date. The goals are to keep it simple and fun. And while we are having this dicussion the challanges are there but with some time and understanding between all we can do this fairly and simply. Thanks guys keep up the great work.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

32 Re: Tournament input on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:45 am

HugeEuge57

Bobber
Bobber
My bad....I should have known it was spines. Long week.

I don't like the limit the number of each species you can catch....it should be total points or total fish per week, or per trip. If you do species you're going to pull a few guys out of it. I really only fish for Largemouth and maybe smallies on occasion. I don't have the gear for catfish and bluegill and carp aren't on my list of things to target. Plus not all of us have access to the salt so that would alienate a few.

As for everything else, I'm fine with any of those changes, it is for fun so I'm not going to argue with any decisions made.

33 Re: Tournament input on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I don't like the limit the number of each species you can catch....it should be total points or total fish per week, or per trip.  If you do species you're going to pull a few guys out of it.  I really only fish for Largemouth and maybe smallies on occasion.  I don't have the gear for catfish and bluegill and carp aren't on my list of things to target.  Plus not all of us have access to the salt so that would alienate a few.  

What about simply limiting the number of posts not species. It would be the same as limiting the points. (EXAMPLE) If you are a LMB fishermen you can catch 15 fish a week. If you are a spottie guy you are limited to the same number 15. If you catch 10 spotties, 1 Halibut and 4 Bluegill in the week you are done.

As far as watching over this it would not be so hard, I just have to watch the dates there are posted. Again some other ideas to help in this would be a biweekly code that would need to be on the card or on there rulers or something along those lines. Also the Challenge points might build up more of the excitement of the whole thing. What do you think Suspect

34 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 am

kin

Junior
Junior
Nice idea! How about adding another wrinkle to that, different fish are worth a certain amount of "keeper slots". Kie, three blue gill = one slot, one bass = one slot, one pike = two slots, etc?

35 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
Just leave the rules the same and have a fresh and salt division

36 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
Im working now and havent even fished in a week and a half

37 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:26 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
I know alot of skilled anglers looking to enter the next one competition will be good for all of you and make you a better fisherman

38 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
I can see this thing getting huge and picking up alot of sponsors

39 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:30 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
And i have followed ever rule of this competion i even post pics that show the time of each catch im sorry if i had a little more time but i never witheld any info

40 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:27 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
Every*

41 Re: Tournament input on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:44 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
I think in time we might be able to have salt and fresh divisions. But for now i don't think there are enough fishermen to make that work. I think we might shorten the event by a month, that is my idea anyway. We still have some more discussion on all this but thanks farnk for the input keep it coming.

42 Re: Tournament input on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
OK this is something we need to discuss I think I would like to make the July Tournament only 3 months. 4 is just to long, I know there are other ideas and that there are some that think it is fine, but 4 months is just to long. As for point we will be limiting points in the next tournament, in an effort to keep things as fair as we can. My question now is this should we do 150 a week 200 a week or split the difference and make it 175 a week? That is my question for now what does everyone think.

43 Re: Tournament input on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:57 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
I'm leaning towards the 200 points per week as the limit and the (one bonus point per week) BONUS points would carry on top the 200 point weekly entry. So that you will end up with more than 200 points in the week.
The guys that work 5 days per week; will some times have two days off per week, and this will allow them a chance to put points on the leader board and to compete.
You only need to have one more fish than second place to win the tournament. It's so simple.

I believe that we are here for the fun of it ... to have some friendly competition and to make friends along the way in doing so.
We are not professional anglers but we do know what we are doing and what we are talking about.

The OC and LA waters have not warmed up enough for spawn yet ... like the water has further down south towards Mexico.

I would also prefer to see a 2-month long tournament rather than a three month tournament.
I do not want to have these tournaments being the priority in my life for 4 straight months again.

A lot of people (IMO) have lost all interest in this tournament because of the ridiculous lead.
I know that when I was in the lead with over 400 points, I had asked if we could stop the tournament at that time, re-set my points to zero so that every one would feel as though they could still have a chance to win.

Having fun with friends is so much more important to me than soaring out there all alone.

I also think we should end this tournament now, re-think the rules ... and give soaring Frank his well earned "1st Place" float tube prize.

That's the type of fare and considerate Sportsman that I am.

Congratulations to Frank!

SP Dan    <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

44 Re: Tournament input on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Well Jeff, without going back and looking, I don't think we can catch 175 with the current point system. Maybe 180, but I'm all for at least 200.

I'm starting to feel better and my tube only got a little spongy after 24hours. I may even try to brave the 20 mph winds. ( I REALLY wanna go!)

I just hope the crappie aren't spawning shallow, because it makes it harder in a tube ( due to limited access areas to get to where they spawn.)

Oh well, I got one spot close to the bridge that should hold a few if they are shallow.

45 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 am

Ornery Bob

I'm with you 100% on the 3 months vs 4 months deal, especially in the better weather coming and I think 200 points a week is a good level.

We all fish for the fun of it and the tournament just adds to the fun, but I would like to see some sort of tournament incentive to keep fishing, even if you max points for the week. Like maybe the longest fish of each species posted gets bonus points at the end.

I think it would be kind of fun if the bonus points you decide on could make a real difference so that maybe we don't really know who has won until the end.

I mean if the leaders are within one week's points of each other (200 pts), then if there were another possible 250 bonus points up for grabs, it might make a down to the wire finish more possible.

Running an online tournament has to be different than your typical "this week on this lake" tournament, but I like the idea of keeping going even if you have a limit in the well, so to speak, and fishing to catch that species bonus fish could be that kind of incentive, I think.

http://www.ornerybob.com

46 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Ya I would like to help people feel that they could come from behind because of the challenge points. If they feel there is a chance they will be more likely to get back out there and try to catch up.

The really deal is we are doing this for fun and maybe a few prizes. There is no money to be won guys we need to keep that in mind. If we keep in mind that we are in it for the fun that is the way it will stay and what I feel will make it most appealing to all in the long run.

Lets keep the talk going I have my ears open and am willing to hear all sides. Just remember I do have to set the plans in motion and it might mean I choose a different path then what some are hoping for. This is in no way a dig at you or anything personal I simple have to think of all involved as well as what is best to grow this event in the coming year.

Guys with hard work and some heating exchanges, good plans will arise and there might be some apposed now and see the light later. Keep it light have fun meet new people and grow and a community and sport these are the goals.

47 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Ornery Bob

Since we’re just tossing around ideas, I have an idea for a completely different format…

What if we just pick a couple of representative species and do small weekly prizes for the winners of the week and the grand prize to the overall winner.

No limits - just fish your guts out and post your best fish for that day. The longest fish for the week wins. The show card could have a space for the date that we can write in and so tag each entry to a particular week. So each week is like a mini-contest and once that week is over, no more entries for those dates.

Every weekly win gets you a ticket for the grand prize drawing.

That way you are really only competing against people fishing the same way you are, even though we’re all in the same tournament.

We could, conceivably, group similar sized species, so LMB and SMB and maybe stripers could qualify as “freshwater bass” and spotties and barred and calicos could be “saltwater bass” something like that.

So maybe panfish and bass for fresh and halibut and bass for saltwater… that way there could possibly be four weekly winners and the panfish guy has just as much chance to win overall as the halibut guy.

The better fishermen should be catching better fish and so they should be the ones racking up the most weekly wins and having the best shot at winning overall. You may only be able to fish one day a week, but if you’re good and you know how to find and catch the better fish, then that should be enough.

We could also award the biggest fish in any category extra tickets, so it would all be pretty up in the air until the bitter end. Or, instead of individual fish, we could make it the total length of your best three, or some other averaging type scheme. But I'm thinking weekly wins gets you to the big win.

Like you say, it’s not big money or anything, so an element of luck for the over-all win shouldn’t be that much of an issue and the best fisherman is still the most likely to win and it’s much less cumbersome than points and limits. Weekly wins keep people involved and we don't have to bend over backwards to try and fit every person's situation.

Just 2 cents...

http://www.ornerybob.com

48 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:33 pm

That's not bad Bob!

I just wanna add senior citizens ought to get double points! green happy

49 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:35 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Ha ha double points for old people.  I agree Bob that is cool, i like it just kind of far off from what we started so far.  But i will look it all over again

Last edited by jeffcpr on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

50 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Hope that made ya giggle Jeff.

Unfortunately, you're gonna blink and be there....

The older you get the faster the time flies.

I do feel sorry for the young folk, tho, the gravitational pull of the planet earth is increasing. Stairs I used to run up 20 years ago... are hard to climb.

Packages that I used to be able to lift with ease ....are now HEAVY!!!!

Gotta be a change in the gravitational pull...no possible other explanation. green happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum