» Thank you Ornery Bob
by Jerdon Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm

» All Small's at the LAB!
by Hollywood1 Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:05 pm

» Where to go for float tube fishing - Island Grissom
by Ornery Bob Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 pm

» Leg and foot cramps..not fun
by jeffcpr Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:09 pm

» Wader Skins a new idea what do you think?
by rjb_Skins Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 pm

» Laughlin info and tips?
by jeffcpr Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:31 am

» Newbie from So Cal! Hello
by SP Dan Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

» Where to go for float tube fishing - Queensway Bay
by Ornery Bob Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 am

» Catch of the Month July 2017
by kobra Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 pm

» Ohio not well repped I see?
by Ornery Bob Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 am

» Wetgear Ripfins
by Misfitdog Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tube Fishing Tournament Series » Tournament Series Discussion » Tournament input

Tournament input

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:32 am

jeffcpr

Admin
OK so I think we can all say while this tournament is going well there is always room for improvement. I have sent out some PM's to get some ideas of what we should be looking at to adjust to make it even better.
The goal has always been to have fun competing against tubers in other parts of the US and in time the world. To keep it fun and smooth we do need to plan and work on adjustments. Here is what I think we should be talking about at this points.

Here is some of what I feel we need to talk about.
1. Length of tourney (is it good or should it be shorter.)
2. Should we limit the points per week (this might even the playing field more)
3. Should we add new fish to the list.

Some members have give some feed back as well already.

We need to make sure our regulations are the same as dfg like 14 inches for a salt bass also bigger fish should be more points like a big bass should be 25 or 30 points shorten the length to 2 months take away trash fish like mackerel and bluegill

Add whatever species may be able to be caught such as striped bass, walleye and some additional saltwater species

As far as length goes, the kayak ones run all year so I don't think 4 months is too long but I'd be fine with whatever the group wants.

These are just suggestions and are not changes being made as of yet.

Lets open the discussion everyone and I mean everyone whether you are a competitor or a spectator lets talk about possible changes. The hope is to keep it fun and inclusive to the weekend worrier as well as the member that has more time on the water.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

2 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Ahhh, my imput....fine. Just the way it is.

Yah know, Cheaters are ALWAYS gonna find a way to cheat, and and an HONEST man won't ever......

3 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
My opinion guys is as follows we should limit the number of points per week. I know in the past this was not liked but I think it is one of the best ways to square up the point system. The week could run from Monday to Sunday and we could limit the points to 125 or 150 points per week.

What I feel is this would even the playing field for all. The weekend worries get blow out of the water when a competitor can get on the water 5 days a week. This is not to say that the guy that can fish a tone is being attacked we wish we could all fish as much. It is simple that it can be unfair is you can only get out twice a week and cannot get the water time others can.

The issue before was it seemed to be unfair to a person that had a great day on the water. Why not just let them fish and show off there skills for what they are. Well the reason is this again the person that cannot get out a lot is quickly shot out of the water. Of course this also works for the weekend worrier that has a great day by limiting them as well.

So the problem is when a person is out fishing and has a day where they quickly catch there limit then there incentive is gone right, wrong. This is were challenge points come in to play. We can structure in some what we can call challenge points. Biggest fish of the week, the 3 species in one outing. this would hopefully give everyone the idea they should keep fishing to be able to land a few more points with a challenge.

I know this might not be the most popular idea but I think we really need to talk about this, so please let me know what you think. Lets have this discussion first and then we will move onto the next ones.

4 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Misfitdog

Bobber
Bobber
what about limiting the amount of catches a week you can report ? in conjunction with limited points that way people will target the higher quality fish   ?  just another option to throw in there .. that way people will min / max more with catches and how about a small extra bonus or incentive if you can show a video of a successful CPR of a legal fish caught ?

5 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:23 pm

kin

Junior
Junior
How about just having people select x amount of days they want to fish ahead of time. X being 10 to 20 days depending on length of tournament. They can choose their dates they want to fish ahead of time with the chance to sub (y) in their worse days. No point limitations for those epic days and no time handicaps for those who cannot fish consistently. Can hash out the details ahead of time
Draw back is, more work for the tournament officials for them to keep track of each competitors days/fish counts.

6 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:54 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Thats right guys keep the comments coming i want to hear from everyone.

7 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Jerdon

Jeff,
You are thinking a weekly card to photocopy?
 This way we limit a guys greatest run to something like 6 or 7 bass?

I take exception to BlueGill being called trash fish Very Happy . How many people keep their mackerels and eat them. Likewise, how would a Southern California freshwater guy fill in three different species without the panfish?

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

8 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:what about limiting the amount of catches a week you can report ? in conjunction with limited points that way people will target the higher quality fish   ?  just another option to throw in there .. that way people will min / max more with catches and how about a small extra bonus or incentive if you can show a video of a successful CPR of a legal fish caught ?  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:How about just having people select x amount of days they want to fish ahead of time. X being 10 to 20 days depending on length of tournament. They can choose their dates they want to fish ahead of time with the chance to sub (y) in their worse days. No point limitations for those epic days and no time handicaps for those who cannot fish consistently. Can hash out the details ahead of time
Draw back is, more work for the tournament officials for them to keep track of each competitors days/fish counts.

Interesting ideas what does everyone think any other idea's.

9 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:45 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Jeff,

I take exception to BlueGill being called trash fish Very Happy . How many people keep their mackerels and eat them. Likewise, how would a Southern California freshwater guy fill in three different species without the panfish?

I agree with the bluegill nit being a trash fish. As for the card it is a good idea something to think about thanks.

10 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 pm

@jeffcpr wrote:
@Jerdon wrote:Jeff,

I agree with the bluegill nit being a trash fish.  As for the card it is a good idea something to think about thanks.

I agree on the bluegill, besides, one over 6" isn't that easy to find.

And crap...I NEVER got a card through the mail...and lost a few tournament days...so...as a guy that can't just work a mouse, I'm extremely opposed to dated cards. ( They're already dated for the length of the tournament, right?)

Are some fish easier to catch than others? SURE! But if winning the tournament is THAT important , then you probably don't get the whole concept of it.

Most tournaments go by WEIGHT, this tournament kinda levels the playing field a bit, and keeps fishing closer to what it SHOULD BE.... having fun and CATCHING fish! Once you start with "my fish is better than your fish" ...you start down a slippery slope, and then, (like most tournaments) you have to specify a specific species, and then size ( weight) becomes the determining factor.

I like it, although I'm gonna have to come from behind. After raining all weekend, today the wind was blowing over 20 mph. So, all in all, I think it's pretty fair.

We all have our advantages and limitations.

11 Re: Tournament input on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Ornery Bob

In no particular order...

I think there should be a separate "Tournament Rules" thread by itself listing all the rules and points and bonus points in one place. If everything was in one place, it would be more clear and it would make asking questions about the rules easier.

For example, the "3 species bonus" needs to be clarified. There was some discussion of it and it seems like you've been scoring it, but I don't think it was ever declared an official part of the tournament. Also, does it mean that any three species of any size count?

Last weekend, besides my sand bass qualifier, I caught a top smelt and a short calico, do I post them too for bonus points?

Limits...

I think the best day so far anyone has scored was 180 points and 100/120 point days are not uncommon, so I think if the weekly limit was in the 200+ range, no one is likely to limit out in one day, yet the weekend warriors at least have a chance to limit for the week and thereby compete with
those who have more time available to fish.

Scoring...

I would like to see an official tally of points per post. Some of them have been confusing and it would be nice to see how they were scored. You're obviously looking the posts and counting up points, so it would be cool if you could just go into the post when you're done scoring and show what points you're awarding.

And crap...I NEVER got a card through the mail.

None of us did. The instructions said you could print it in color or back and white if you don't have a color printer. Personally, I stopped at a Staples on the way home from work one day and had them print it and laminate for me right on the spot.

http://www.ornerybob.com

12 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:34 am

Yeah Bob, but at the time, I didn't realize I could do that, so Jeff said he sent one snail mail. It never got here.

I don't have a printer, and I do everything online on my "smart" phone...( which is a stupid POS!)

(I just let the Secret Service keep my old printer, and a local police department kept my computer...) It was a bunch of BS, but I really can't disclose details for a couple of more years.

13 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:45 am

jeffcpr

Admin
OK so other ideas move the point limits to 200 points per week is good. I also heard limit the numbers of posts per week. I kind of like that because it gets people focused on fish with bigger points. We all feel the idea challenge points is a good idea. As Bob said we need a post with clear details and I can agree with that, once we get this nailed down we can set that up simple easy.

Does anyone else have any ideas place the here there are no bad ideas just getting info out there to be discussed. Our next event starts in July so we have time to make some appropriate changes before then. Thanks everyone for you ideas keep them coming.

14 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am

HugeEuge57

Bobber
Bobber
I actually like the limiting the number of trips that count or the point limits.

I also suggest that the photos be standardized.  Like fish mouth has to be closed, a bump board of some kind must be used.

I'm guilty of holding the mouths open but that's because there are no limitations on it.  I'm involved in other tournaments online (mainly kayak ones that I get asked to fish in) and those require things like closed mouths, fish facing the right way, clear pic of the mouth touching the board and the tail must be laid out flat on the board.  I know some guys are against this because the fish can jump free but that's a risk of any type of tournament...some don't allow nets to land bass from a boat...so it's a calculated risk in these types of events. And a standard board is required...which is usually a hawg trough. This allows for even lengths...somebody using the netting apron with the measurements on it is tough, they can be squished together and not every one is exact on its measurements. These troughs are like $15-20 and it'll even things out a little.

15 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
I believe we have in the rules you need to have a measuring board not an official board but a board none the less. We did allow a tape measure once because someone lost there board over the side. I do agree that we should be holding the fish mouth closed and against the bump board. But some concerns are the toothy fish with big spins as well. If we do revise the rules on this can we add a addendum for the saltwater fish that are a big concern for there teeth and spins.

16 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 pm

One thing to keep in mind, it's 6-8 hrs for me to get to the salt. How long for you salties to get fresh?

Soooo...as I was getting at, I think the rules are pretty fair. If they change for the next tournament, so be it...

( It totally does NOT matter to me that I have pre-paid for that one.    But, it might to some. ( Just a thought.)

17 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Ornery Bob

One thing to keep in mind, it's 6-8 hrs for me to get to the salt. How long for you salties to get fresh?

Sorry, PoBoy, I'm too dumb to see what you're getting at.

I'm sure you understand that the points have been structured to try to make it fair regardless of where you live or the waters you fish, so what difference does it make if you (or anyone) fish salt one day and fresh the next?

18 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:06 pm

HugeEuge57

Bobber
Bobber
I'm not sure we're in disagreement Jeff. If teeth are an issue, wouldn't keeping an open mouth and holding the fish by the mouth be more dangerous than making sure it's closed and pushed up against the board? Your hand doesn't need to be near the mouth in that case...just push the mouth closed with the board if need be.

Also, what are spins on a fish? I've never heard of that reference before (not trying to be a wise@$$).

19 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:46 pm

kin

Junior
Junior
Jeff did a great job evening the playing fields between fresh and salt. There are already limits on "fish of lesser standing" and he can continue to utilize the cap to prevent abuse. Utilizing the "legal" fish method works against the spirit of the tournament. However, why not have a bonus slot? Like every other week, have a new randomly drawn measurement. If the fish hits the measurement exactly, you get bonus points.

20 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:05 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Interesting i kind of like that or maybe a wild fish catch that fish win some extra points. Keep the ideas coming.

21 Re: Tournament input on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Ornery Bob

have a new randomly drawn measurement. If the fish hits the measurement exactly, you get bonus points.

This is a really fun idea. Random definitely levels the playing field as long as it doesn't count too much.

22 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:28 am

@Ornery Bob wrote:One thing to keep in mind, it's 6-8 hrs for me to get to the salt. How long for you salties to get fresh?

Sorry, PoBoy, I'm too dumb to see what you're getting at.

I'm sure you understand that the points have been structured to try to make it fair regardless of where you live or the waters you fish, so what difference does it make if you (or anyone) fish salt one day and fresh the next?

Well, I'm just being a crybaby. I have told Jeff, and will continue to say...I think the rules are perfect. It's only unfair because you guys are lucky to be close enough to do either.

I'm a US citizen, so, if I was SILLY enough to move to Kalifornia, I could do so!

It's my own fault I live 300 miles from the coast!!!

( But....dadgummit!!!! It makes me jealous, OK?)

23 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Ornery Bob

( But....dadgummit!!!! It makes me jealous, OK?)

The grass is always greener, eh?

Heck, I live in what is arguably one of the best places in the world for fishing, and the other day I was thinking maybe those guys in Florida have it better!

But I have to admit that your jealously is probably justified. I don't know the world of freshwater bass yet, but from what I gather, our lakes here are among the best in the US when it comes to producing record and near record fish.

Then, just last year, you have a guy free diving (no scuba tanks) just outside of Mission Bay and he spears a record breaking 269 lb tuna! From a place that was about 30 miles away from Lake Hodges and 20 miles from Lake Miramar, both of which have produced 20+ lbs Largemouth Bass.

So, yeah... we've got the goods here and you're right to feel a little jealous.

...now, if I could just catch me some fishies, it would be *perfect.*

24 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:54 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
I'm reading a lot of great ideas from all of you out there and my personal bottom line for all of this is to ... keep this as fun and simple as possible.  
Thumbs Up Don't you agree with me?! ... eh!?

If the rules were to remain the way they are at this moment .... so what! I'm still having a fun time thanks to Jeff and FTFF.  

My Grand-Daddy once told me Jeff ... to be careful about what I would ask for ..... so

My two cents towards evening-out the point system at hand:
1. Most people work ... like myself and can honestly only fish two days a week depending on the ever-changing SoCal weather.
My suggestion: allow for only two entries per week with a daily limit of 150 points. That's it! Simple.

2. I am pro towards a 2-month tournament. We could have three two-month-long tournaments.
                       Example:
                       1) April thru May, (June off) 2) July thru August (September off) and 3) Oct thru Nov. (with Dec
                       thru March off).

I realize that each region of the world has it's own best known 3-month spawning season of the year.
                       By having three short tournaments ... we could possibly touch on as many of the world wide spawning
                       seasons as possible.
                       Thus ... evening out the playing field across the world. That's it! Simple.

3. Entrants should all have a Tournament required bump-board measure that has been OK'd by the committee.

4. I would also like to see a required "homemade" semi-rigid flat lap tray. I actually stick a piece of blue painter's tape onto my tray to write each session's date.

Mean while ... I'm doing exactly what it is that I should to be doing ... working, fishing and then relaxing.

A closing note ... on a personal note ... I just want to say thank you and that I owe much of my success's as a FT fisherman to the people here on FTFF that have engaged in conversations and in the sharing of ideas and experiences.

Thank you.

Keep adding ideas to the "Think Tank" conversation .... it's a great read to follow!  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

25 Re: Tournament input on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:07 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Thanks for the info SP Dan and everyone else keep it all coming.

OK so I am still looking at the ideas of a limit, my thoughts were all about a limit on points.  The idea of limiting it to 200 points a week would I think be a great idea.  But another idea was expressed to not limit points but limit catches, this might be a better idea.  

One of the things I wanted to do is encourage people to try and fish for different species.  I think that limiting the numbers of fish you catch per week as well as adding other challenge points we could achieve this.  We could get people fishing for new species as well as create a more even playing field.  

So I am asking what do you guys think about limiting the numbers of fish posted per week.  Also what do you think is a good number set a limit at and what are some more ideas for challenge points.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum