Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Non-Fishing Related Discussions » Off Topic Discussions » Would you do this?

Would you do this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Would you do this? on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:08 pm

After seeing the Atomic Beam headlight on TV........

Well..... What can I say? The wheels went a spinning.

Now, the question is...... Would you tube at night with a headlight?

2 Re: Would you do this? on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Ornery Bob

Dan tubes in the dark all the time - even added a running light - there was an article about it in the magazine.

I've launched many times more than an hour before sunrise in the dead dark and the first time I felt a little anxious, but I fell into the routine of fishing and relaxed right away. I use one of the little LED headlights and carry one of those super bright small flashlights for signaling if needed. Also, the harbors are pretty lit up, so it's not like serious out in the boonies dark that you probably have.

Still haven't done a full night session, but I'm planning one soon as I just bought my lobster report card and I'm hoping to get a deal on a hoop net tomorrow.

I think it would depend on how comfortable people feel on their tube in general and if they're bothered by dark. My sister has always been afraid of the dark and never outgrew it. Good question... how about you?

http://www.ornerybob.com

3 Re: Would you do this? on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Junior
Junior
Ornery Bob wrote:Dan tubes in the dark all the time - even added a running light - there was an article about it in the magazine.

I've launched many times more than an hour before sunrise in the dead dark and the first time I felt a little anxious, but I fell into the routine of fishing and relaxed right away. I use one of the little LED headlights and carry one of those super bright small flashlights for signaling if needed. Also, the harbors are pretty lit up, so it's not like serious out in the boonies dark that you probably have.

Still haven't done a full night session, but I'm planning one soon as I just bought my lobster report card and I'm hoping to get a deal on a hoop net tomorrow.

I think it would depend on how comfortable people feel on their tube in general and if they're bothered by dark. My sister has always been afraid of the dark and never outgrew it. Good question... how about you?

You might have to save that lobster hoop for next season as this season closes on the 16th. But, I believe stone crabs are open year round so if you're into those go for it!

4 Re: Would you do this? on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:45 pm

joshyouwa.r

Bobber
Bobber
I don't mind tubing in the dark. Just have a bright light and you are good. Gets a little creepy when you lose your buddies in the dark but just be safe. Pfd flashlight and you should be good.

5 Re: Would you do this? on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks, I just wanted some outside imput, ....to be honest, I've been scared several times in the day. Once, with a lot of snakes perched in limbs over the creek I was fishing, another time a HUGE turtle getting ready to bite my foot.

The other times were just the area was SO SPOOKY, you couldn't do ANYTHING but imagine the worst.

It's SERIOUSLY, like hiking in backwoods Appalachia, or just going into the "snakiest looking areas" ever.

But guess what....I play with those!!! But still, I have had my heart jump in my throat, just walking past a piece of rope.

Soooo...the message here is, no matter the paranoia, the solution is

6 Re: Would you do this? on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:18 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
"Dan tubes in the dark all the time - even added a running light - there was an article about it in the magazine".

Very Happy  lol Well Bob ..... maybe not all the time but a few times for sure.
I'll will try to get to the water before gray light but there are time that I really look forward to the day's session and I get ready a bit earlier that normal.
Sorta like Christmas morning ... I'm constantly looking forward to the day ... with hope and determination!

I have probably started fishing maybe two hours before gray light; half a dozen times, due to a more promising tide movement and the hopes that being the "early bird" will land me one more fish. lol Or, I'll fish up to the sun-downer if the tide is good.

Yes .... I did place a clear white light on the "Masthead" Bow of the float tube, a green light on the Starboard side and a red light for the port side.

I want boats to see me before they are upon me. A few boats have gotten a lil' bit too close for my comfort. There are others; of you out there, that know exactly what I'm talking about.

I decided to follow the USCG boat lighting for my own personal safety.

I go fishing with others and I; at times, loose complete sight of them and they are most of the time within 300-ft of my location in the dark. I also constantly wear a PFD and I also wear a safety signal whistle.

Have fun ... be safe out there people ...

SP Dan     <"))><

7 Re: Would you do this? on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:41 pm

I've been scared in the daylight several times in a tube. One was actually the day I caught the 8'12oz. fish in my avatar.

There was a heavy fog that day, and you couldn't see 20 yards in front of you, but you could hear idiots bouncing off stumps at nearly full speed.

What can you do if they just run you over? I've also been in some really spooky areas.

8 Re: Would you do this? on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Ornery Bob

I had an idiot on a jet-ski nearly run me down in broad daylight and perfect visibility. He was too busy showing off to pay attention to what was going on around him, and later the same day, the same idiot came screaming by the launch ramp just as I was getting out of the water and the sudden waves damn near knocked me down.

I think I might have said a bad word and called him a name...

http://www.ornerybob.com

9 Re: Would you do this? on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
I recently nearly saddled my tube to the back of a 25-30 foot whale in LAH that was 3-feet beneath in 15 feet of water on my tube.
I think I might have also said a bad word and called him a name as well ... he spooked me

SP Dan     <"))><

10 Re: Would you do this? on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Ornery Bob wrote:I had an idiot on a jet-ski nearly run me down in broad daylight and perfect visibility. He was too busy showing off to pay attention to what was going on around him, and later the same day, the same idiot came screaming by the launch ramp just as I was getting out of the water and the sudden waves damn near knocked me down.

I think I might have said a bad word and called him a name...

Well, I was fishing and a skier made a hard cut towards me to swamp me with a wave of water.

Now...he got lucky a couple of ways. First, I actually had a slab spoon on, but backlashed on the cast..... (Think about it: what do you think would happen if I had gotten a line in front of him...)

Secondly, I didn't have a gun with me that day.

But, while this jerk just thought this was funny, I didn't, and I would have killed him given a chance. As he's leaning out, cutting towards me, a lot could go wrong. One stumble and he could hit me and break my neck or kill me.

Sooo..yeah...I got splashed, it was funny for some jerk, but he'll never know how close that move put him to death.

(A line across him would cut him in half, and I carry a gun about half the time.)

11 Re: Would you do this? on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:59 am

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
It seems to me that with your temper ... you should leave your weapons locked up at home before heading out to go fishing and or just fish in another spot for a couple of hours until you can calm down.

I honestly get out and fish just to relax .... not to go to war ... again.

It's all about friends, fishing and fun.  Wink  Right?!?
So, have some fun... it's only fishing.

PS ... If any one ever feels like they are being threatened or in fear of being harmed in any way, just calmly remove yourself from the situation and don't let other people ruin your fishing session. Simple.

SP Dan     <"))><

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum