The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Holiday Gift Ideas
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Our 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive is now in effect
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» What do you think Saltwater VS Freshwater should we?
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

» Early present
by Hunt Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

» Santa Ana River Lakes
by GT Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am

» Edge Open Heel Flex Scuba Fin
by jeffcpr Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

» Wader and Boot Dryer
by SP Dan Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 pm

» Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stockingfoot Breathable Guide Pant
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

» Hello from Vhanaya
by Hunt Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 am

» Waterproof Reels - Penn Spinfisher and KastKing Sharky II
by singletrack Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

» Fish finder recommendations
by Jerdon Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Float Tube Fishing in Florida?

Float Tube Fishing in Florida?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Ornery Bob

I work inside sales for an industrial distributor and I handle orders from all over the US and so as part of that process, I very often have to verify addresses on Google Maps and I got an order today from a guy who lived right on the water in a nice marina in Florida and my first thought was, "I want to live there!"

So I start zooming out and looking around and it became obvious very quickly that Florida has way more salt water marinas than So Cal and I figure that the float tubing should be awesome.

I'm looking at different places to retire and Florida seems to have a lot going for it, but I'm curious why no one seems to be doing there what so many are doing here.

I saw 5 tubers on the water last weekend at Los Alamitos and I was just at one end of it.

Seems like Florida should be a float tube fishing paradise, but I can't find any evidence that there's much of a float tube scene at all.

Googling "Florida saltwater float tube fishing" gets me basically nothing and we don't even have a Florida section here, so obviously no Florida tubers are beating down the door.

So what's up with that? Does anyone have any ideas? Saltwater 'gators keeping everyone in boats?

http://www.ornerybob.com

2 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Misfitdog

Bobber
Bobber
they get a lot more toothy critters in there open harbors , then we do here like bull sharks and such .. you can google and find a few videos of people float tube fishing in private lakes and such in Florida for LMB , but as you say hard to find saltwater ... interesting

interesting a ton of youtube videos from freshwater in gator infested water like lake okeechobee ... hmmm

3 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Jerdon

Float tubing is not real popular in the swampy places.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

4 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:09 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Ya I have always thought the same thing seems like a great place to tube it, but I think Misfitdog has it right. Just to many toothy creatures out there for anyone to call it a great float tube area. I think we had one guy here from the Florida area, but have not heard from him in sometime now. If anyone can change it out there it would have to be an Ornery man do you know anyone Bob. Cool

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

5 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 am

Partycrasher

Newby
Newby
We travel down there every other year or so.  I love it down there but I wouldn't float tube it.  We rent houses and they are always on one of these 5-15 acre lakes behind them that are really glorified retention ponds.  Its awesome because they are all full of Bass.  BIG bass!  I've caught several over 6# and one 8# over the years just fishing from the bank.  BUT, they all tend to have at least one little friend living in them that gets very interested when you hook a bass and he sees thrashing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't think they are interested in me but they want the bass and they aren't afraid to get really close.  No way I'd want to be in a tube.  

I also fish the Gulf side in the saltwater (Sarasota up to Anna Maria Island).  Too many sharks around for me to be comfortable in a tube.  I've never seen any really big ones but even a 4 footer would freak me out.  The other thing you would have to watch is tide currents.  There are some areas where when the tide starts going out it just gushes out of these harbors.  You'd really have to be near shore so you knew you could kick back to land.  

Its fisherman's paradise down there but not so much with the tube in my opinion.

Marc

6 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 am

Ornery Bob

Thanks, Marc!

It's hard to see those gators from Google Earth Smile

I'll just stay here where the weather is warm and the girls are pretty and I can dream about wrestling big halibut instead of worrying about wrestling alligators.

I'm very lucky to live here where there are excellent salt and fresh water fisheries and way more places to fish than could ever get to know well. Blessings counted, let's go fishing!

7 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:11 am

Jerdon

Lake Perris has a dangerous infestation of water lice to contend with.

Very frightening at times.
But I enjoy the risk some days.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

8 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:21 am

@Jerdon wrote:Float tubing is not real popular in the swampy places.

Actually, not with the young texting crowd, altogether.

WHICH SUCKS!  FLOCK ME!!!

It's like ALL these kids are surprisingly ALLERGIC to the outdoors. Heck , I slept under the stars last night with nothing but a pillow, a sleeping bag, and a pesky feral cat.

Actually, I would be remiss if I didn't mention this : Lake Worth has a wetlands area, which has a breeding population of alligators. Ummmm....I can drive a bit and show you the sign that says it's against Federal Law to "harrass" them. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they got the memo, or it's EVEN ILLEGAL....( whatta you want to bet.....NOT! that they can "harrass" a tube fisherman.)

I hope this gave you guys a giggle, but it's ALL TRUE.

9 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Ha ha I was wondering if you would post up about Texas, I figured there would be some alligator out there and don't you also have water snakes as well. But this is still not as concerning as Florida affraid

10 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:21 pm

@jeffcpr wrote:Ha ha I was wondering if you would post up about Texas, I figured there would be some alligator out there and don't you also have water snakes as well.  But this is still not as concerning as Florida affraid

NO FRIGGING KIDDING JEFF!!!

I'm scared to get out tha caw in Floridia!  Crap! Ya don't know if the cops are gonna get yo stash or ya homeies.

Oh wait....yeah, THE WATER!!! Dadgum toothy critters and some mean snakes....( Don't get me started on the women!)
Seriously, though....best wishes my man!

And SERIOUSLY!!!! Youd have to give this Texas boy some SERIOUS CASH before he'd dip a damn toe in some areas of Florida!

Think about this: they got some damn 30' snakes out there that can wrap around you and kill ya.  Now ....we got some that can give ya some poison....neva mind.

Anyway, I only weigh about150, I'm not scared of the biggest 2 legged guy.  But....I mess with snakes...and can tell you, a single man against a snake over 20'.....game over.

WAIT! Just thought of something....another thread about waders.... I'd say if you were looking for a little room in the crotch area....a Floridian would probably be a good source!!! Thumbs Up

Awwww...one other thing: I have never met a person who has seen a bald eagle. I have.....driving across the Lake Worth bridge. Now, the aligators and eagles live in the north end of the lake ( where the buffalo roam). ( I'm not kidding guys! )

Just Google any of those critters and Lake Worth.

11 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Capt Ray

Bobber
Bobber
I live in Panama City Beach and would highly recommend not fishing from a float tube in either fresh or salt water. I would give you a better than average chance of not surviving the day. If it bites, stings, is venomous or eats people it lives in Florida.

12 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I live in Panama City Beach and would highly recommend not fishing from a float tube in either fresh or salt water. I would give you a better than average chance of not surviving the day.  If it bites, stings, is venomous or eats people it lives in Florida.

That is information to take seriously thanks so much sir.

13 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:05 am

Capt Ray

Bobber
Bobber
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I live in Panama City Beach and would highly recommend not fishing from a float tube in either fresh or salt water. I would give you a better than average chance of not surviving the day.  If it bites, stings, is venomous or eats people it lives in Florida.

That is information to take seriously thanks so much sir.

Lots of folks fish from kayaks and paddleboards. Only problem with the paddleboard is those pesky water moccasins like to hitch a ride.

14 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Float tube fishing in Florida ha ha ha! ... now ... THAT gives a whole new meaning to "Bait and Wait!"  Wink  lol

I got pushed around by 4-5 harbor seals this past week end ... but the insects, snakes, bull sharks, reptiles ... etc. NO WAY!

SP Dan     <"))><

15 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:09 am

Capt Ray

Bobber
Bobber
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Float tube fishing in Florida ha ha ha! ... now ... THAT gives a whole new meaning to "Bait and Wait!"  Wink  lol

I got pushed around by 4-5 harbor seals this past week end ... but the insects, snakes, bull sharks, reptiles ... etc. NO WAY!

SP Dan     <"))><

Good thing they didn't find you attractive. I have experienced harbor seals up close many times diving in and around San Diego and they have no fear of humans.

16 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:34 am

jrupp

Newby
Newby
i don't get it, don't they have sharks in California? i have watched hours of youtube of ornery bob fishing in longbeach and all kinds of marina's on the southern calf. beaches. what is different with tubing and wading? it shouldn't cost 80,000 dollars to fish. the beaches are jammed with people swimming and bouncing around and surfing also. love the forum and thanks for all the great info.

17 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Ornery Bob

Hello jrupp and welcome to the FTFF!

I often get approached by people when I'm coming back in from fishing and of course I talk with friends and family at get-togethers and someone almost always asks the "Aren't you afraid of sharks?" question in one way or another. A very common question and so I've actually given it some consideration.

The simple truth is I've been swimming and surfing and diving and fishing in Southern California waters at various times my whole life and I've just never felt afraid of sharks. I've seen them at times in the water and while I have serious respect, I just don't feel afraid. It's not really a choice, it's just there.

I also don't feel afraid driving to the harbor, either, and it's orders of magnitude more dangerous. Literally. And I think everyone knows that at some level, but sharks make a lot of people crazy.

I once told someone that the rate of shark attacks on swimmers in all of California is 1 in 738 million beach visits (a true statistic), so I had a few more trips to go before I would start to worry and his response was… "I'd be afraid of making it 2 in 738 million." It just goes to show that you either feel the fear or you don't. And if you feel it, statistics don't mean much.

Sounds like you don't feel it either!

Again, welcome aboard, and I hope we get to hear about your float tube fishing adventures!

18 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Capt Ray

Bobber
Bobber
Being a Navy diver I have spent a great deal of time underwater all over the world. Outside of maybe Africa, Florida has the largest population of sharks anywhere I have been. The other difference is the species, bull sharks and lots of them coupled with vast schools of bait fish make for a very aggressive food chain which floating on the surface, legs dangling below creates a recipe for disaster. I surf a good bit and have had times when I had to get out of the water due to dozens of sharks pushing bait against the shore in a feeding frenzy.

19 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:34 am

FloatTubeFishing.com

Newby
Newby
Nice topic. Everyone's covered it by now, but yeah - gators and sharks would keep me from floating those waters. Fishing the saltwater flats would probably be fine, but kayak fishing seems to be king down in Florida.

http://www.floattubefishing.com

20 Re: Float Tube Fishing in Florida? on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:39 am

Capt Ray

Bobber
Bobber
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Nice topic. Everyone's covered it by now, but yeah - gators and sharks would keep me from floating those waters. Fishing the saltwater flats would probably be fine, but kayak fishing seems to be king down in Florida.

Kayaks are very popular and functional due to most of the flats being 3' or less in depth and are very large areas. To find the fish you would need to cover a lot of water.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum