Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tube Fishing Tournament Series » Tournament Series Discussion » January tourney talk.

January tourney talk.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 January tourney talk. on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:13 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
In the nature of not lossing the conversation but to keep the tournament thread open for tournament catch posting. Let hold all other dicussions here guys thanks for understanding.

Matthew 4:19
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

2 Re: January tourney talk. on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:15 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Sounds good!

3 Re: January tourney talk. on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Had a neighbor with a vehicle down. I don't mind helping out my fellow man , but between the time he jacked around before we went to the auto supply, and going to 3!!! I kinda missed out on some great fishing weather!

Oh well, cold front again tomorrow and maybe 20 mph winds! Maybe I'll go fishing anyway!

4 Re: January tourney talk. on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:42 pm

kin

Junior
Junior
By the looks of how the tourney is going, it seems it's skewed towards team salt...freshies need to get on some prespawn action!
salt vs fresh '17 is knocking

5 Re: January tourney talk. on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 pm

@kin wrote:By the looks of how the tourney is going, it seems it's skewed towards team salt...freshies need to get on some prespawn action!
salt vs fresh '17 is knocking

Have no fear....it's coming...."like a theif in the night"....they'll never know what hit them.

I've already got a case of crabs! Got them on dry land! Thumbs Up

Them salty guys ain't nothin' !!! We'll get 'em!

If I hadn't spent all day helping out a neighbor, I might have gotten a good string.

Something else: Im gonna get me one of those balk and howl headlights! Gonna anchor up and catfish all night.

6 Re: January tourney talk. on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Ok... Now I need to know how to delete posts!!!

Oh crap! I think I just figured it out, but because I posted this, I can't do it!

7 Re: January tourney talk. on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:36 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Got it bro its deleted.

8 Re: January tourney talk. on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:37 pm

@jeffcpr wrote:Got it bro its deleted.

Thanks Jeff. Well, I woke up feeling very sick this morning. Really sick tummy and a lot of rushing to the toilet.

Didn't really want to hit the lake anyway, when you hear the wind howling, it's kind of a clue, you may not to want to go tubing.

It also sucks...that when I posted a forcast of 80's on Tuesday, that happened yesterday. Now we are looking at rain and 37-50's.

9 Re: January tourney talk. on Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:02 pm

I was up at Wal-Mart grabbing a wire fish basket... ( can you believe Academy doesn't have one?) and some crappie nibbles.

I struck up a conversation with a couple of guys. Their plan was to hit Bear Creek ( Benbrook), and if they didn't find any fish, hit Lake Weatherford. Actually, a pretty good plan. I thoight about Bear Creek park myself, because it's much more protected than the Rocky Creek park I tried to fish the other day. However, I knew they were going much further upstream.

Anyway, on to Weatherford...another old , shallow lake.

Now, it made me remember something: Up on the upper end, there's some lilly pad jungles and a raised roadway. I came across some bullfrogs sunning on the road bank.

This is fun and funny....chunk a plastic worm in front of them and twitch a bit. They will jump on it, and almost as quick as you can blink...grab that worm with both hands and shove it in their mouths.

They make great eating as well, but don't make the mistake of eating those tough legs and throwing the rest of the frog away. Treat it like a chicken. Maybe a little work and some bones, but well worth it.

10 Re: January tourney talk. on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:06 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Here is a picture of SP Dan's miss hap on the water earlier today. The salt guys have a lot to deal with when it comes to landing fish in this tourney keep up the good work everyone and be safe.

11 Re: January tourney talk. on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Jerdon

Wow, I didnt realize the saltwater bass could puncture like that. Of course it was probably better he punctured the tube and not Dans board shorts.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

12 Re: January tourney talk. on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 am

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
frankd,

All fish caught slow rolling a 3/8 oz coolbaits over eel grass 30 pound max quatro to 12lb seguar around the low tide.

Hey Frank,
I am willing to fork out the money and try these Cool Baits up in my area.
Is there a particular color of head and spinner that works best for you?
Do they come in weedless? Are you using weedless?

SP Dan <"))><

13 Re: January tourney talk. on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:00 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Damn ..... Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't slow down Brotha ... set that bar way up there!

I learned from the previous trial tournament that FW numbers can explode all of a sudden and reach up to 375 points in a session, when they go off.
So, don't slow down!!

Best of luck! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

14 Re: January tourney talk. on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:17 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
I have some coolbaits underspin I really like them frank is killing it and really seems to have those spottie's in SD dialed in. There is still a long way to go anything is possible it just take a few good outings to change everything.

15 Re: January tourney talk. on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:24 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Which Cool Bait under spins did you buy? Weights and colors please.
I have to try them!! Weedless?

I have a giant eel grass forest in my back yard.

SP Dan     <"))><

16 Re: January tourney talk. on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:17 pm

kin

Junior
Junior
I'm surprised no one is fishing for other freshwater fish besides bass...a successful session on kittties and carp can cut the lead down significantly. I've had epic shoreline sessions at Elsinore going for carp starting in feb...crappie are starting to show up too but not many people target those from their tubes down here.

17 Re: January tourney talk. on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:45 pm

@kin wrote:I'm surprised no one is fishing for other freshwater fish besides bass...a successful session on kittties and carp can cut the lead down significantly. I've had epic shoreline sessions at Elsinore going for carp starting in feb...crappie are starting to show up too but not many people target those from their tubes down here.

Oh, it'll happen. I just keep running into crap sidelining me. I got a warning from the overzealous code enforcement officer telling me to clean up my yard.

I have decided to put a bunch of stuff on the curb, and put the rest in storage. I called a nearby place to try to get a unit.

" Hello, thank you for calling Northwest Mini Storage, this is Milyn, how may I help you?" "What did you say your name was?" " Milyn, like Melinda without the da." Yeah, I know about Milyn, my ex-wife was named Milyn, she was from Pascagoula, Mississippi." "Is this Doug?" "Yeah." Well, it's me, Milyn!"

You can't make this stuff up! And she only works there on Modays. What are the odds?

18 Re: January tourney talk. on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:18 pm

SP Dan

Old Timer
Old Timer
Great story PBF

19 Re: January tourney talk. on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:40 am

Ornery Bob

Stopped at Sav-On Tackle on the way home from work. They had a few Coolbaits, "original underspin" in 3/16 only so I picked up a white and a black and couple of 3in BH - a pacific chovy for the black head and a sexy smelt for the white head.

My shore fishing expert friend says "bling is the thing" right now, so what the heck. Always good to have more tricks up my sleeve.

I'm new to spinnerbaits, so I've been following kobra's advice "...run your spinnerbait as close to the top of the grass as you can. Over a clear bottom, slow roll it, hop it on the bottom, or even long line it. Try different techniques and let the fish tell you how they want it that particular day."

I've been playing with a warblade by trying to target top, middle, bottom of the water column by how long I let it sink before starting my retrieve. I've also been trying fast and slow, straight and herky-jerky.

I assume that "slow rolling" means just fast enough to stay off bottom slightly above the eel grass and keep the spinner spinning?

My experience with a swimbait is that I get a lot of hits on the drop or right as I pick it up off the bottom, so drop=good. I haven't had clear enough water yet to see if the spinner spins when it drops on it's own weight, but kobra's advice to try hopping it on the bottom sounds like maybe I'm too locked in to this "blade must spin" idea.

Hell, I'm trying everything.

Oh yeah, not sure what "long lining" is. I'm thinking trolling on a long line so the bait is just above the bottom?

http://www.ornerybob.com

20 Re: January tourney talk. on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm

kin

Junior
Junior
Don't know till you try right? Long lining is a technique boaters started to use in order to get maximum depth in their cranks. It involves casting, leaving the reel on free spool and move their boat a ways away before they reengage and retrieve the lure. It's a long process but can be effective.

Spinners sometimes spin on the fall, usually they do more of a flutter. There is no wrong way to fish a spinner blade though. I need to throw them more often since they are better at covering shallow water grass beds. Retrieve just fast enough to get the blades thumping is a good thing.

Oh and that's a sign to go fishing poboy...I wouldn't know what to do if that happened to me

21 Re: January tourney talk. on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:40 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
Im sorry guys i barely found this thread so for the coolbaits there are two set ups i throw depending on depth my primary is a 7'4 medium heavy phenix casting rod with 30 lb braid tied to a 12 lb fluoro leader i use this with the 3/8 oz coolbaits i dont favor any color or trailer really they all work small flukes worms swimbaits dont matter second would be a spinning rod with 10-15lb braid to a 8 lb flouro leader for the 3/16

22 Re: January tourney talk. on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:45 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
I just cast them out let them hit bottom and reel it as slow as i can while still keeping the blade spinning

23 Re: January tourney talk. on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:46 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
The line is and rod are all key its a fixed system

24 Re: January tourney talk. on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:47 pm

frankd619

Bobber
Bobber
No faster then a 7.1 gear ratio preferably slower

25 Re: January tourney talk. on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:47 pm

frankd619