Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tube Fishing Tournament Series » Float Tube Tournament Series Posts » Measuring during the tournaments

Measuring during the tournaments

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 am

bigfish

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I think bump boards are the way to go. I have a question about fish placement. Most times we are holding the fish for the measurement so we don't lose it before getting a good pic. Are we going to be required to lay the fish on the board for the measurement to be acceptable? Just looking for clarification.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

27 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:23 am

Carla "Bassin' Grammy"

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
I like the ID card as well.  I would suggest that there be a place on the card for the Angler's ID and Tournament date.

28 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:58 am

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I think bump boards are the way to go. I have a question about fish placement. Most times we are holding the fish for the measurement so we don't lose it before getting a good pic. Are we going to be required to lay the fish on the board for the measurement to be acceptable? Just looking for clarification.

Dam good question and I say yes it most be laying down to count. I believe there are some rules though on larger fish being submitted for biggest catch. Sometime it might be necessary to measure a bigger fish another way. We will need to clarify that as well but yes lets go with the fish must be laying flat.

CarlaSkeeter9 wrote:I like the ID card as well.  I would suggest that there be a place on the card for the Angler's ID and Tournament date.

I was going to make sure that the idea card had the dates of the tournament on it. Not sure if the Expo marker and the laminated card would work but it would be best if we could have a random code produced at least 2 to 4 times a month. Just to keep everyone on there toes.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

29 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Litefoot

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I took a Shot at the measuring device. It comes complete it floats and the lines are already marked But it's only 6 inches wide it is concave. I purchased it from Fishing online $19.95 Plus shipping. I started out with schedule 30 PVC it's a little thicker I beveled the ends at about a 45 then sanded so there was no sharp edges. Drilled quarter inch holes through the plastic into the PVC only drill the top of the PVC not all the way through the PVC. Punched 1/4 inch holes in the Velcro with the soft side facing the Fish. I do need 1 more piece of Velcro about 4 inches from the bump stop put the plastic pieces through the ruler and the Velcro in the top of the PVC. ( It took about 20 min after I had everything.)[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks

30 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:39 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Tooks great bro thanks for sharing. I am think the bump board is the way to go for the Tournament.

31 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:05 pm

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I'm still new to this type of tournament format so please forgive me if I ask questions that may have been addressed in another thread. As I understand, these tournaments are open for anyone/any location. Photos submitted by length of the fish and a tournament ID card. How is the judging criteria for the vast species for a series where the fish are different by location? The open tournaments by the shore, salt, fresh online specify a time frame and targeted species. Are all species allowed in your residing state? Like say one angler can only fish lakes and target bass, catfish, carp, trout etc. We here in California can target both salt and fresh. One angler submits a 16" bass and another angler submits a 30" Barracuda. Then another angler submits a 38" Pike. Again, if this was talked about in another thread, I apologize. Also a concern I have for the salt guys, is the tournament series going to count the California Scorpionfish as a no catch/no submit specie? I've caught some big grumpy Sculpin's and I know it's not going to be a safe thing to have to lay that fish flat on a bump board in your lap/apron, then go hands off to take a photo. I'm looking forward to this fun with all you and these are just a few questions I have. I vote bump boards that show smaller measuring increments. Maybe down to 1/8th. That can ease some disagreements if some entry angler's bump board measuring only has 1/2" increments. Also on the size range, bump boards only measure up to maybe 28" max? Is there a specie size cap range? If its a open any fish counts, how will fish that are caught measured if they are much larger than your apron and ability to take a fish photo while on your apron? Thanks and this should be fun!

Just read some of the specie list. For some reason when I was looking into the rules, that thread was not showing up... I see Sculpin is on the list of allowed species. Sculpin's can be feisty and they do not like laying on their side lol. Well this should make it fun!

Last edited by volcomsurfrider on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

32 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:17 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Hey thanks for the ??'s OK so there is some discussion about species that can be caught this is the link to that.

This is open to anyone as long as they are a member of the forum, plus you are able to fish anyway at anytime between the dates of the event. The list of fish is general with the intention to be able to grow as the Tournament grows. There is also going to be categories for Largest fish species caught, and largest over all fish caught.

I agree the bump board looks to be the best option for measurements and I think we will at the end of this event make it the official measurement tool. I will be sending out the tournament card my PM and members will need to print it off and place it in the pictures of there catches. I know that there might be need to have those 1/4" measurements but the rules is as long as the fish meets the minimum length it counts for its pre-determined points.

Again thanks for the questions.

33 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 pm

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Oh I understand better now! As long as the fish meets the legal minimum size, points are awarded for that specie. So how large the specie does not play a role. Thanks for answering my questions Jeff! Thumbs Up

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Hey thanks for the ??'s OK so there is some discussion about species that can be caught this is the link to that.

This is open to anyone as long as they are a member of the forum, plus you are able to fish anyway at anytime between the dates of the event.  The list of fish is general with the intention to be able to grow as the Tournament grows.  There is also going to be categories for Largest fish species caught, and largest over all fish caught.  

I agree the bump board looks to be the best option for measurements and I think we will at the end of this event make it the official measurement tool.  I will be sending out the tournament card my PM and members will need to print it off and place it in the pictures of there catches.  I know that there might be need to have those 1/4" measurements but the rules is as long as the fish meets the minimum length it counts for its pre-determined points.

Again thanks for the questions.

34 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:30 am

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Is there going to be a specific measuring board/bump board we have to have?

35 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:25 pm

SP Dan

Here was my final attempt at an honest measure for the up coming Tournament.

It's on an Outcast Fish Cat 4 Deluxe. I beefed up the net lap-tray using corrugated plastic purchased from my local Home Depot, and then I used Gorilla clear tape to hold down the measuring tape. I added a second measuring tape at the top of the Rapala board and what an improvement.

I found mine on eBay for $9.95 and free shipping.
It has a hinged bumper board that will flip up when needed and lay down flat and out of the way while fishing.

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

36 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I like your board mods big fish. I had 3 fish go nuts and flip out of my hand before I could get a pic during the fresh vs salt. : suspect: I like the clip idea also.

37 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:43 am

Litefoot

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Sp Dan I like your Buckboard and you're measuring device.  it Will keep everything in nice job. Litefoot

38 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:52 am

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
That is the best measuring board. Very compact and detailed in size increments. I have one from Bass Pro Shops and the nose bumper broke off. They discontinued them as well. This is a great board!

39 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:18 pm

SP Dan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I like your board mods big fish. I had 3 fish go nuts and flip out of my hand before I could get a pic during the fresh vs salt.  :  suspect: I like the clip idea also.

I've had that occur!

So now with my free hand ... I throw scoops of fresh cold water on the lap tray / board to cool them down and to protect the fish's skin, get the fish onto the tray, leave the hook in the fish's mouth and get it right over for the photo-op. Then remove the hook ASAP for the release.

If it leaps .... at least you've still got um'.

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

40 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:54 pm

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I like your board mods big fish. I had 3 fish go nuts and flip out of my hand before I could get a pic during the fresh vs salt.  :  suspect: I like the clip idea also.

I've had that occur!

So now with my free hand ... I throw scoops of fresh cold water on the lap tray / board to cool them down and to protect the fish's skin, get the fish onto the tray, leave the hook in the fish's mouth and get it right over for the photo-op. Then remove the hook ASAP for the release.

SP Dan     <"))><

These are all great ideas and sure to be put to the use! Thing is, Sculpin's. I would ask to ad a addendum to measuring Sculpins. Many of us will be tubing during this tournament solo and getting a Sculpin prick is not good. Can we measure Sculpin's while laying on their belly? They do not like to be side ways on any surface and flopping onto your lap is not a good thing.

41 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm

jeffcpr

Admin

I've had that occur!

SP Dan     <"))><

These are all great ideas and sure to be put to the use! Thing is, Sculpin's. I would ask to ad a addendum to measuring Sculpins. Many of us will be tubing during this tournament solo and getting a Sculpin prick is not good. Can we measure Sculpin's while laying on their belly? They do not like to be side ways on any surface and flopping onto your lap is not a good thing.

Good Call I will say I agree, if you cannot lay it flat please place it on its belly. It is true you don't want a poke from a Sculpin that would ruin your day and the Tourney. So a belly flat photo of a sculpin is ok for the event.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum