Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tube Fishing Tournament Series » Float Tube Tournament Series Posts » Measuring during the tournaments

Measuring during the tournaments

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Measuring during the tournaments on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:42 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
So this has always been an issue for tubers to measure there catch. The aprons leave a lot to be desired when it comes to the accurate measurement of your catch. This will also be a hard decision to make during the tournament events. How can I make a call on was it a tournament legal catch or not if I can't really see the numbers.

So I decided share an idea or 2 that might help. I think that everyone knows what a fish measuring board is.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I am sure you could buy or make one that could just hang on the side of your tube an be ready when you needed it. This would be a very simple way to show you measurements.

Still another option would be this to use a sewers tape measure. They are cheap and can be cut an zip tied to the crossbar on any float tube. Again a simple way to measure your fish and easy for the length to be seen and not disputed.

For now I cannot say that these are the approved methods and I am sure somebody will come up with a few other ideas. But for this first event if you could try these methods we can see if they will work. Thanks guys we are just a little more then a month out. salute

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

2 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:52 pm

joshyouwa.r

Bobber
Bobber
I have the top of a plastic tote instead of an apron and have the dfg measuring tape but im open to ideas as well. Ill try and post a pic so you know what Im working with

3 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Jerdon

I bought the
Frabill 1936 Expandable Bump Board, 8 x 36-Inch
I did this with it

I have yet to try it out, but I will do a report when I get back on the water.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

4 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:50 am

Litefoot

Bobber
Bobber
Thanks guys those are really good ideas keep them coming. !!

5 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:23 am

Carla "Bassin' Grammy"

Newby
Newby
I have a hawg trough measuring board. I bought it for an different online tournament that required that specific board. They were scoring by length, so you had have a board that clearly showed resolution down to 1/4". I much prefer how you're running this tournament in that you only have to show the fish meets the size requirement for that particular species in order to be scored. I also like the multiple species format. The only thing that I think that might me beneficial for everyone to have would be a measuring system that has a lip at the zero end to butt the fish's mouth up against. I think that would be helpful in trying to qualify a "squeaker" fish from the photo. Humans are competitive by nature as evident by the tournament I mentioned above. Several of the anglers began to question other angler's photos and the judges scoring etc...they got ugly and verbally abusive and although I was not involved, I read all of it and lost my enthusiasm for the tournament. I'd hate to have that happen here. I just want to fish and have fun. Those are my thoughts. Smile

6 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 am

jeffcpr

Admin
CarlaSkeeter9 wrote:I have a hawg trough measuring board.  I bought it for an different online tournament that required that specific board.  They were scoring by length, so you had have a board that clearly showed resolution down to 1/4".  I much prefer how you're running this tournament in that you only have to show the fish meets the size requirement for that particular species in order to be scored.  I also like the multiple species format.  The only thing that I think that might me beneficial for everyone to have would be a measuring system that has a lip at the zero end to butt the fish's mouth up against. I think that would be helpful in trying to qualify a "squeaker" fish from the photo. Humans are competitive by nature as evident by the tournament I mentioned above.  Several of the anglers began to question other angler's photos and the judges scoring etc...they got ugly and verbally abusive and although I was not involved, I read all of it and lost my enthusiasm for the tournament. I'd hate to have that happen here.  I just want to fish and have fun.  Those are my thoughts.  Smile  

Could not have said it better myself, we will be walking a fine line hear. The Tournament in January will not be for money but there will be some good prizes and that can cause those issue. I really like the bump board, idea, but I am sure some good options could be found as well. thanks CarlaSkeeter9 and keep it all coming everyone.

7 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:26 am

Urban Cowboy

Bobber
Bobber
Does anybody listen to the "Going Ike" podcast hosted by Mike Iaconelli? About two weeks ago, they did a three hour kayak fishing show and talked about where the sport is headed, how far it has come, and how tournaments are handled. Jeff, it would be a good listen for ideas. One thing I will tell you is this, they are doing everything online and the prize money has gotten into the $50k range for one event. With that being said, money does weird things to people. One guy won it and they found out he was cutting pieces off his board and measuring the same fish to give the illusion that he had multiple fish of varying sizes. I'm not sure how to counter something like this but he DID get caught so there is a way. What we do in the dark comes to the light eventually.

http://dfiinsurance.com/

8 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:30 am

joshyouwa.r

Bobber
Bobber
I also was thinking about how to prove its not the same fish on different days / angles. Perhaps you could have a code generator for every day so you have to put the code in the picture too. Either way maybe the date orbsomethibg but I would hate to see a tournament go bad because of a few greedy people.

9 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:34 am

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Does anybody listen to the "Going Ike" podcast hosted by Mike Iaconelli? About two weeks ago, they did a three hour kayak fishing show and talked about where the sport is headed, how far it has come, and how tournaments are handled. Jeff, it would be a good listen for ideas. One thing I will tell you is this, they are doing everything online and the prize money has gotten into the $50k range for one event. With that being said, money does weird things to people. One guy won it and they found out he was cutting pieces off his board and measuring the same fish to give the illusion that he had multiple fish of varying sizes. I'm not sure how to counter something like this but he DID get caught so there is a way. What we do in the dark comes to the light eventually.

Yep you know there is always one out there, we will not make this a cash prize. That is because like you said money does funny things to people. This will be prizes and trophies, and I am sure we will still have issue, my hope is that they will stay small. This is the reason for the test run and discussions, thanks Urban Cowboy send me the link I would like to hear about this.

10 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I also was thinking about how to prove its not the same fish on different days / angles. Perhaps you could have a code generator for every day so you have to put the code in the picture too. Either way maybe the date orbsomethibg but I would hate to see a tournament go bad because of a few greedy people.  

I got a plan for this as well that I will revival in the next few days lol!

OH hell with it here you go a card like this will need to be in each picture of the fish you catch. I will e-mail this card to each person the day or 2 before the event. Member will just need to print it and but in a zip-lock bag or laminate it.

11 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Urban Cowboy

Bobber
Bobber
Part one:

12 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Urban Cowboy

Bobber
Bobber
Part two:

13 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Urban Cowboy

Bobber
Bobber
The show is us usually about two to three hours long so I like to listen to it on drives, solo fishing sessions, while doing household chores (organizing tackle) etc. I'm not sure the links will work if you don't have an iPhone or iTunes. I'm sure you can find it in the android equivalent easily though.

14 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:22 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Cool bro thanks I will try it out.

15 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:19 am

bigfish

Junior
Junior
Some weeks back I did some research on this subject.

Most of the data came from money tournaments conducted online. The most secure method I discovered actually involved forensic methods to determine the validity of fish photos.

There are all types of time stamps and verification methods available. We can go that route if we choose. I think it would be a mistake. Skeeter has the right frame of mind on this; keep it simple so it stays enjoyable. It's easy to loose sight of why we are doing this in the first place. It starts getting too complicated and restricted or people fight and argue and I'm gone!

Most of the measurement methods involve the use of bump boards. Keep in mind that none of their methods mentioned using them on a float tube. Float Tubes offer their own special challenges as we all know.

The cross bar is the most likely place to attach one. I have done this as evident in my fish tournament photos submitted here on the forum.

I have mine attached by use of wood screws. I used countersink screws so they don't protrude on the ruler. The wood screws hold very well in PVC. I previously used blind rivets but realized that not everyone has access to or ability to use them. So I re-thought my method to make it easier to attach. I discovered it is actually better than rivets!

The problem with my tournament board is getting the fish to cooperate when trying to measure and photograph it! I need to hold camera/smartphone with one hand while positioning the slimy fish with the other. Slimy fish don't stay well on a flat tournament board.

Jerdon's type of board by Frabil solves that problem. The problem I have with those types of boards is they are large and don't attach well to the crossbar. Maybe Jerdon will find a solution. I'll be watching bro!

Jeff, in a previous discussion we talked about displaying our sponsors in the measurement photo. I gotta tell ya; this idea is not an easy one. But I came up with a solution (I hope). I only came up with this idea yesterday morning while I was working on another idea.

My idea solves the tournament board problem and the sponsor display thing. However, it requires some construction/building. I'm off to take the wife to Red Lobster for lunch in Kearney. So I don't have time to take some photos and post my idea drawings. But I will do so as soon as I return.

I realize that everyone can't be expected to make these. But I would be willing to build them and send them to any tournament member willing to pay for the board and postage. I'll post this up as soon as I return this afternoon.

16 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:39 am

jeffcpr

Admin
We will be waiting thanks for all the input everyone keep it all coming.

17 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:48 am

Jerdon

Bigfish,
The Frabill board comes with 5 bolt holes cast into the frame. I used 30 pound test braid and lashed it through the netting and around the crossbar through 2 of the bolt holes. It fits in my 5 gallon bucket for transportation. If you zoom in to the photos above you can see the braid.

18 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:24 pm

bigfish

Junior
Junior
Ah yes, I see what you did there. That looks like an easy install too! Anxious for you to field test it. Are you going out soon?

I came really close to buying the Frabill. But I was only thinking of mounting it to the top of the crossbar. I'm gonna post up my drawing/idea, but I like the simplicity yours has. Mine requires construction. I enjoy constructing prototypes far too much.

19 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Jerdon

Bigfish,
I should find my way home this week and get back on the water.
Family obligations have been high the last 2 months.

20 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:05 pm

bigfish

Junior
Junior
Jerdon, same here bro. Lately I feel like fishing is just a wish. Life has it's demands...no matter how much we love fishing.

21 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:00 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Jerdon, same here bro. Lately I feel like fishing is just a wish. Life has it's demands...no matter how much we love fishing.

Don't I know this. Crying or Very sad

22 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:01 pm

bigfish

Junior
Junior
So, here is the idea for the measuring device I had:

I originally chose the Golden Rule Tournament board because it is readily available almost everywhere. I liked that it is made from aluminum which is lite but provides nice strength. Attaching it to the crossbar gives it added strength. It was a slippery procedure when trying measure and take a photo.

Plus there was the added need to put some sponsor graphics in the photo.

These are two hinged, aluminum panels that fold flat onto the tournament board or out creating a U-shaped channel to rest the fish in. Printed material can be cut out and taped on the inside panels as needed using clear tape.

An angled view

End view when it would be folded down.

Honestly, this is a complicate solution. But I'll probably make one anyway. I always feel a need to justify the reason I spend so much money on shop equipment and tools even though I'm supposed to be "Retired".

23 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:21 pm

joshyouwa.r

Bobber
Bobber

I think that is pretty slick. Is be interested in making one like that. Does it cradle the fish?

I found this pic of how the kayak tournaments do theirs. Not sure If it helps but thought i would share it

24 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:45 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think that is pretty slick. Is be interested in making one like that. Does it cradle the fish?

I found this pic of how the kayak tournaments do theirs. Not sure If it helps but thought i would share it

I like tjis as well all grwt ideas. We will try a few different ideas guys. I really want to make sure our sponsors are in on each picture. I will role out one more idea later.

25 Re: Measuring during the tournaments on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 am

jeffcpr

Admin
I like the idea of simple laying the card on the fish. These leads back to my idea of having a laminated card made and sent out to each tournament members. The other idea I had was maybe we have a spot on the card were you would need to write in a code. I think with a expo marker you could write it in and take it off for next weeks code.

As for measurements I think we should go with the bumper boards just my 2 cents for now, keep all the info coming guys.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum