» Float Tube Review - Outcast Super Fat Cat
by Ornery Bob Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm

» Side Imaging Fish Finder on Super Fat Cat Tube
by Wayno57 Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm

» Droppin & Poppin for Saltwater Bass
by Wonka Weeyaga Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 am

» 3 out of my 4 Float Tubes Are For Sale
by SP Dan Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am

» Fly Fishing Show in Pleasanton - February 24th & 25th - Wader Skins Exhibiting
by SP Dan Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 am

» Float tubes 4 $ale, I have four.
by GT Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:44 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Share Your Photos & Videos » Fisherman's tales

Fisherman's tales

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fisherman's tales on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Mscustomflies

Bobber
Bobber
Everyone loves a fisherman's tale so what's the biggest you've had from your tube, I've seen guys on social media fishing for catfish on fly rods from tubes, any tales of the big fish that dived and wrapped itself around your fin and smashed you off?

Look forward to seeing your photos and hearing your tales

2 Re: Fisherman's tales on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:30 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
This is a great thread I will share later when I have a chance. No pictures though as you know they get bigger once they get away.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

3 Re: Fisherman's tales on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Mscustomflies

Bobber
Bobber
Hahaha true story that Jeff

4 Re: Fisherman's tales on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:03 am

bigfish

Junior
Junior
"SHELL SHOCKED"

Some years ago I began fishing the Pit Pond here in Nebraska. It is a private body of water still owned by the small gravel pit company that created it over sixty years ago.

It is a beautiful body of water with a perfect balance of aquatic plants and creatures. They stopped using it as an active pit because they broke through a solid base of rock into an underground lake. This means that it is fed with underground water. This is a wonderful thing for a small lake but a killer for a gravel pit. Thirty years ago it was shut down. Natural evolution took over and it became the Pit Pond as we know it today and the location of my Tube Tale.

It was a beautiful day. I had arisen early to get on the water for some bass fishing. The sun had just peaked over the horizon, casting sparkling glints on the water. I had only fished on the pond less than a dozen times and was still amazed by the pristine aquatic plants. I was not surprised that there was a diverse population of birds, fish and amphibious creatures. Each cast felt like I was sitting on a post card.

As I was soaking up the beauty all around me I was snapped back to reality as my little silver spinner snagged. This caused immediate concern as it had proven to be quite a producer and I didn't want to lose it.

I wasn't very familiar with the bottom and structure at this time. It felt like I had snagged a stump (unlikely in an old gravel pit), or possibly a limb. I thought maybe if I changed my angle I might just be able to save my lure.

As I kicked to a different position I kept the line taut. I hadn't gone very far and I was startled when it felt like my 'limb' tugged back! I didn't know if any catfish existed in the pond but it seemed that possibly, I had hooked one. Changing tactics I began a slow haul and reel to bring it up.

It became immediately apparent that I wasn't actually 'hauling' it (whatever it was) up. It was coming toward me and up. Whatever it was it was slow. I had caught many very large Mud Cats in Texas and this definitely felt like one of those.

After what seemed like an eternity, I could tell it was going to surface about twenty feet in front of me. My emotions were getting the best of me. I was excited for having hooked what would certainly be my largest catch on a tube. Fear and adrenaline were coursing through my body as I wondered what I was going to do with something so large on a float tube!

A large dark mass began to appear and then it surfaced! As it's head broke the surface I was gripped by fear. It looked as if I had hooked an enormous snake! My fear was quickly replaced with amazement as I realized that it wasn't a snake, but a turtle! A very large turtle! It was easily larger than my tube.

Sitting there, partly in the water, in my tube I tried to reason how this gigantic creature could be here. Turtles grow to great sizes and some live for decades. But this body of water hadn't existed long enough to match this monsters size!

My curiosity was shattered and replaced with fear as I realized it was swimming towards me! As a young lad growing up in Texas I learned that turtle bites can be vicious. If large enough they can sever a finger with no effort. This one seemed large enough to sever a leg!

With fear as my fuel I began to kick hard to put some space between myself and this improbable creature. I soon realized that I was still holding my rod which was still attached to my favorite spinner, which of course is still attached to this rapidly approaching menace.

My fear went up a few notches as I kicked and frantically searched for my knife in my vest. I fumbled through a pocket and located my knife. I flipped it open and quickly severed the line. The turtle continued to approached and I continued to kick frantically.

Then, like an old WWII submarine it began to dive...straight under me! As I sat there like a Sunday Buffet on a bobber I wondered if they would find any parts of me to bury or would I just slowly digest and never be found. The comedic part of me wondered if a turtle could digest a float tube and would he get indigestion?

Turtles, thankfully, are plant eaters. They aren't aggressive and will leave you alone if you leave them alone. So my story ends with both of my legs still attached although somewhat shaky.

Sadly, some poachers came onto the property and shot the turtle. They removed it from the pond. I still don't know how this turtle came to be in the Pit Pond. The best opportunity I had for a picture was my encounter with it. I hope you will understand why that didn't happen.

A pic of the Pit Pond:

5 Re: Fisherman's tales on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:45 am

Jerdon

Great story bigfish!

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

6 Re: Fisherman's tales on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:19 am

bigfish

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Great story bigfish!

Thanks, but it's also a sad story. Sad that someone would care so little about the environment that they would kill the Turtle and remove it.

7 Re: Fisherman's tales on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:43 am

Mscustomflies

Bobber
Bobber
Great encounter if a little unnerving bigfish

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum