» Thank you Ornery Bob
by Jerdon Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm

» All Small's at the LAB!
by Hollywood1 Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:05 pm

» Where to go for float tube fishing - Island Grissom
by Ornery Bob Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 pm

» Leg and foot cramps..not fun
by jeffcpr Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:09 pm

» Wader Skins a new idea what do you think?
by rjb_Skins Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 pm

» Laughlin info and tips?
by jeffcpr Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:31 am

» Newbie from So Cal! Hello
by SP Dan Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

» Where to go for float tube fishing - Queensway Bay
by Ornery Bob Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 am

» Catch of the Month July 2017
by kobra Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 pm

» Ohio not well repped I see?
by Ornery Bob Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 am

» Wetgear Ripfins
by Misfitdog Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » U.S. Post and Topics » Wisconsin Fishing Reports » Tooning the Rock River

Tooning the Rock River

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tooning the Rock River on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Watertooner

Bobber
Bobber
I'm starting a new thread as a follow-up to my scouting report on a three-mile stretch of the Rock River. This is Installment 1: Floating on the 4th of July.

The first stretch of river has a quarter-mile of rocky riffles at the put-in spot at a city park and then there is a calm stretch with a water treatment plant on one bank and the backside of a strip mall on the other.

I own two Classic Accessories Madison pontoons so today I pumped up both toons and invited a buddy to join me on the first of a series of float trips for this section of the Rock River. We launched at 1 p.m. and floated for 6 hours, but we focused most of our time and attention on the riffles where we found plenty of catfish and one bass to keep us busy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What's interesting about this section of river is that it is tough to access by boat or even a canoe or kayak because of all the rocks in very shallow water (about ankle to knee deep). The toons have such a shallow draft and bounce/slide over rocks well enough that they are the best mode of transportation besides just wading the river. We would float a bit, then anchor in place to check holes and eddies for fish. In the photo you can see that we used a simple rig to get the spinner and worm onto the river bottom. We snagged a lot of rocks, but the bullet sinkers saved us from break-offs and re-ties. We finally figured out that there was no need to cast and retrieve (which only resulted in snags), but we could simply let out 4-5 feet of line and gently raise the worms off the bottom almost under our toons. By keeping our feet and oars out of the water, the fish didn't seem to mind our presence on the surface. The water is stained and murky enough that the fish don't spook from what they can't see right above them.

On my next outing, I'll get some photos of the rocky riffles.  Happy 4th all.

2 Re: Tooning the Rock River on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:10 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Happy fourth thanks for sharing, great to hear that the Pontoon handles the shallow rocks with out and issue. You know it has been brought up that we should more supportive of the Pontoon community. maybe it is time we look to supporting these style of tube as well.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

3 Re: Tooning the Rock River on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:07 am

bigfish

Junior
Junior
Hey Watertooner, nice report. Some of those pics you promised for the next trip would be great. I love exploration trips. So many fishermen get locked into their familiar waters and never venture out.

I am anxiously awaiting the next installment of 'Tooning the Rock River'! Thanx for the report!

4 Re: Tooning the Rock River on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:29 am

Watertooner

Bobber
Bobber
I found one photo from yesterday that sort of shows the riffles. This water is only about ankle deep with pockets that drop to knee deep or waist deep. Kinda hard on the butt if one was to use a tube. What a Face

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5 Re: Tooning the Rock River on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:24 am

Fishingdachronarch201E7

That is so cool, awesome pic....thanks for sharing! and awesome to bring a buddy along! good job guys

Tony G Fishing

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum