The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» My Anderson with motor and high waves!
by Jerdon Today at 8:40 pm

» Consumer Reports Ranks Top Sunscreens for 2017
by jeffcpr Today at 4:30 pm

» Round 2 FTFF Tournament
by jeffcpr Today at 3:24 pm

» The Gigbob
by jeffcpr Today at 11:13 am

» Perris water temp?
by rucker Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» Marina Del Rey and more...
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:44 pm

» Float Tube Rod Holder: CastMate Systems vs. DIY
by Jerdon Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

» Line Cutterz ring giveaway
by jeffcpr Sat May 20, 2017 5:37 pm

» July Tournament Rule Adjustments
by Stxngray Sat May 20, 2017 4:57 pm

» greetings from Dakota
by jeffcpr Fri May 19, 2017 5:41 pm

» Rocket Bobbers
by Komori Thu May 18, 2017 8:12 pm

» Float Tube Tournament Series January Winners
by david886720 Wed May 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube, Pontoon, and Equipment Related Discussions » help a noob

help a noob

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 help a noob on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 pm

huyeed

Bobber
Bobber
so i'm still trying to decide whether i should get a tube or a pontoon boat.

if i were to get a tube, i figure something like the fish cat 4 so i can stay out of the water somewhat. any recommendations on what gear i should get to go with it? what kind of fins do i need? do i need waders or will i be ok with my wetsuit?

if i were to get a pontoon, i think i'd go with a small 8ft. think i'd be able to disassemble and pack one up in a corolla? and would i be able to fish the bay safely?

thanks in advance for your help guys. this is probably the most newbie-friendly forum i've ever visited.

2 Re: help a noob on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:27 am

Hey there Huy. Here are my 2 Cents on the Float Tube and Pontoon battle in differences. I will give you both sides of good and bad. Here are the benefits of a Float Tube. I think the reason why so many of us choose to float tube is for one, the easy set up of a tube like the Fish Cat. You inflate and you load your tackle, launch and fish. 2, in a float tube, you are serious able to fish one solid location or spot very VERY thoroughly. You can cover a pylon or rockpile from every angle with multiple casts. You have your hands free as your legs are doing all the boat positioning. 3, I think the majority of us like the exercise with all the kick boats and float tubes. Plus if you are looking for a more bonding day on the water, I believe 95% of us on this forum all use Float Tubes. There are really no negatives when it comes to a float tube. Other than not having the speed mobility to cover let's say a entire half the bay or something. But that is the point of float tubing. To really develop your fishing skill and forcing you to fish an area and figure out the area and what the conditions lend to the fishing. IF you get in a float tube, a wet suit will not do. You will be miserable. Get a pair of breathable dry waders. Even if they are neoprene. You want to stay DRY. As for Fins, there is no reason to purchase $200.00 fins. Get yourself a pair of US Diver fins from Sport Chalet or something for $29.99. They work GREAT.

Here are what I find good and bad about a Pontoon with a trolling motor. To jump in this type of a vehicle as a first ever float unit, I think will give you a bad experience. An 8ft Pontoon will take you much longer to set up. You will have to remember you need to include a Marine Deep Cycle battery. I think a Pontoon puts you on the level of a boat. In boats, everyone tends to fish way to fast and move around way too much. Not that that is a bad thing. I think it just defeats the reason why we all float tube. If you were say on Castaic Lake and you want to chase the stripers or jump from GPS location one to another, I can see why it will be a good thing. However, in the Bays, we all fish together for the most part and we fish according to the tidal movement. I am in no way saying don't get a Pontoon. The ODC guy selling the Pontoon for $200.00 is a great deal. Tempting for myself as well. I however want to float tube. I like the friendships shared on the water with the guys. Also, I forgot to mention, with a pontoon and troll motor, you have to use one hand to position the pontoon. I think it makes it a different challenge to fish a spot for a long period of time when we are usually battling the wind and current. Anyway, that is just my 2 Cents. If you decide to get a tube, we are all telling you Dano has a Fish Cat with the 2 outboard holders for a great price.

LC

3 Re: help a noob on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 am

jeffcpr

Admin
LC said it all, and here is my take, as for the car issue the tube would be better. I am sure that the Pontoon would fit but would be more work in the long run.
Which one is safer in the water, they are both safe, the Float tubes when used right and prepared for accidents is a very safe means of fishing. The potoon, I think my have the tube beat in this area though. You are more mobile and site a little higher out of the water which makes you more moviable and more visable by others.
I to agree with LC I like to work a spot and go slow in the water when fishing. As well as have both hand free to fish. I enjoy float tubing but this is comeing from a man that has not been in a Potoon yet. I sure would like to try it one day for sure.
If you are thinking of buy one of the two that are on the site, all I can say is that they are both great deals you cannot go wrong with which ever one you choose.
GOOD LUCK Cool

Matthew 4:19
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

4 Re: help a noob on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 am

Dano67

I have had both and would say hands down the float is a better experience. If you wantto fish lots of water get a small boat. You can cover a lot of water throughly with a float tube and your control is also better.

5 Re: help a noob on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 am

huyeed

Bobber
Bobber
thanks guys! you're saving me a ton of money. i was definitely heading the wrong way with the gear i was looking at.

i'm definitely eager to explore a few spots in newport harbor that i haven't been able to cover from the docks. sounds like tube is the way to go. i'll try to get the fish cat, get some pvc and rig it up a bit. hopefully i take my maiden voyage a week from thursday Smile

I think Dano's is spoken for, otherwise i'd jump all over it.

hmmm, i still would like to cover a bit more ground on some days. there are a couple of sweet deals on craigslist and one here. maybe i'll get both if i come in under budget after the tube is set up

6 Re: help a noob on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Vagabond

Old Timer
Old Timer
All these guys pretty much answered your question. But I am going to throw in a bit of honesty and that is you are going to buy a float tube and probably not just one float tube but 2 or 3... then eventually you will buy a pontoon boat or a kayak. It doesn't matter how much they cost or if you have the money or not eventually in your life time of fishing you will own all of these atleast once or all at the same time. It's part of the sickness that is fishing and being a tackle hoe wether you admit it or not.

I'd say start with a float tube because for sure you will use it and be happy with it and I still highly recommend the fishcat. Then when you want to cover more water like at a big lake, check out further spots in a harbor or decide to go exploring on your own look into a pontoon boat or kayak.

And this is coming from a guy who owns and uses all three and at first thought just a float tube would suffice Wink

7 Re: help a noob on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:23 pm

ed5000x

Senior
Senior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:All these guys pretty much answered your question. But I am going to throw in a bit of honesty and that is you are going to buy a float tube and probably not just one float tube but 2 or 3... then eventually you will buy a pontoon boat or a kayak. It doesn't matter how much they cost or if you have the money or not eventually in your life time of fishing you will own all of these atleast once or all at the same time. It's part of the sickness that is fishing and being a tackle hoe wether you admit it or not.

I'd say start with a float tube because for sure you will use it and be happy with it and I still highly recommend the fishcat. Then when you want to cover more water like at a big lake, check out further spots in a harbor or decide to go exploring on your own look into a pontoon boat or kayak.

And this is coming from a guy who owns and uses all three and at first thought just a float tube would suffice Wink

The only thing i agree about this post is you are a hoe and you keep coming with all your good deals and now i want to go shopping with you at this swap meet and when is the sickness going to stop . dam i guess i am a tackle hoe too Embarassed Twisted Evil

8 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 am

bayfishingjunkie

Junior
Junior
hey nothing wrong with being a hoe.... my last inventory update was made in jan. 2011 and was at $50,000.00 in fishing gear Ive since added about 30% more Im guessing. here is [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]a pic of my freshwater bass gear only... long live tackle ho's

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

9 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:35 pm

huyeed

Bobber
Bobber
yeah, i've been fishing 2 months and i'm already a tackle hoe. it's an awesome sickness. though, i guess i should slow down with grad school apps coming up...

10 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Vance in AK

Newby
Newby
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:hey nothing wrong with being a hoe.... my last inventory update was made in jan. 2011 and was at $50,000.00 in fishing gear Ive since added about 30% more Im guessing. here is [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]a pic of my freshwater bass gear only... long live tackle ho's

Your wife doesn't read your posts here does she.... Shocked Very Happy

11 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm

ed5000x

Senior
Senior
just placed an order online i got it bad Twisted Evil

12 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:45 pm

waxon67

Senior
Senior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:hey nothing wrong with being a hoe.... my last inventory update was made in jan. 2011 and was at $50,000.00 in fishing gear Ive since added about 30% more Im guessing. here is [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]a pic of my freshwater bass gear only... long live tackle ho's

Dang...

Long live tackle ho's!

Last edited by waxon67 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Take my "e" out)

13 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:00 pm

huyeed

Bobber
Bobber
dang indeed

just picked up my fish cat... Very Happy

14 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:03 pm

waxon67

Senior
Senior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:dang indeed

just picked up my fish cat... Very Happy

Hey!! Congrats!!

15 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:40 pm

huyeed

Bobber
Bobber
thanks! next step, i'll get some pvc pipe and get to work on rigging it up. will post pics when i'm done

16 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Vagabond

Old Timer
Old Timer
Congrats! Hope you can hit the water with us soon.

I am really finicky when it comes to my plastics and lures I have never been able to by them online unless it's a brand and style I have already and want it in more colors. I have to actually see them close up and in detail before I buy them.

17 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:57 pm

ed5000x

Senior
Senior
do you have any ideal when you are going to try it out if you do you should post that way if one or more of us can go too
that way we get to meet you and your not alone for the first time
my first time tubing was with about 8 guys from the forum, tubing at santa fe dam very helpful to have people who know what is going on in the water . had a blast and then i was hooked
Ed

18 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:16 pm

huyeed

Bobber
Bobber
i'm not sure yet, but i usually fish thursdays in newport harbor. haven't seen the tide charts yet so not sure but i'll definitely post once i'm ready to head out. also gotta see how long it takes me to add some pvc rod holders and mounts for some other stuff.

forgot to mention, i got mine at sports chalet, $210+tax for the fish cat plus a 1 yr replacement plan. the guy who helped me threw in the 2lb outcast anchor for free since i also got waders, a set of force fins, and of course some misc random tackle. nice dude. although, he did tell me i should take it out for wsb a mile from shore...

19 Re: help a noob on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:48 pm

ed5000x

Senior
Senior
well sound like you are ready to go almost
it took a while for my to come up with a good design for my poles but i final make it and now i am happy with my sign
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

20 Re: help a noob on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Vagabond

Old Timer
Old Timer
Holy Crap~! you must have spent a small fortune there, I hope you have a member rewards card.

Look for a guy named Fishslayer on here he fishes NPH on Thursdays also.

21 Re: help a noob on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:42 pm

huyeed

Bobber
Bobber
it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. the force fins were 59.99 on clearance...so like 100 off. though i had to return them because they were too snug with the waders on.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum