» For sale Float tube rod holder
by david886720 Today at 1:13 am

» Round 2 FTFF Tournament
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:18 am

» Float Tube Tournament Series January Winners
by jeffcpr Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 pm

» Consumer Reports Ranks Top Sunscreens for 2017
by CPT Kirk Tue May 23, 2017 4:34 pm

» My Anderson with motor and high waves!
by Jerdon Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm

» The Gigbob
by jeffcpr Mon May 22, 2017 11:13 am

» Perris water temp?
by rucker Sun May 21, 2017 7:00 pm

» Marina Del Rey and more...
by Jerdon Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 pm

» Float Tube Rod Holder: CastMate Systems vs. DIY
by Jerdon Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube, Pontoon, and Equipment Related Discussions » Backcountry Toobin'

Backcountry Toobin'

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Backcountry Toobin' on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:02 am

mac_2_nite

Newby
Newby
Hey all, to preface I have read through a couple posts already about the backpack straps some of you have used (http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/t3975-fish-cat-4-deluxe-backpack-straps?highlight=backpack and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and I know most of you it seems are only in saltwater and walking on flat ground.

I bought the Outcast straps for my FishCat Deluxe, and have been hiking it up to lakes here in Utah. The wider and semi-padded straps help a ton since I'm usually hiking at least a couple miles. Hit the 4 mile mark the other day on the way up and I was about to lose my mind with the squeaking between the clips and D-rings which are all plastic (and I am waiting for them to break on the trail lol).

Does anyone have experience putting a tube on an external frame pack? I'm thinking I may dig up one of my old A.L.I.C.E. frame packs from my Army days, and somehow rigging it on there. I eventually want to be able to pack my tube AND my overnight gear, these day trips aren't long enough!!!

2 Re: Backcountry Toobin' on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:16 am

bigfish

Junior
Junior
I pack mine. The straps on float tubes really aren't designed to do anything beyond a mile. I have some pack straps I clip on if I'm doing anything beyond a quarter mile.

A frame pack is the way to go if you're going to do any distance. I have a number of the old frames I picked up at thrift stores. You can lash just about anything to them. Just remember as a guy you need to carry the weight high on the pack.

As for carrying your tube and overnight gear...you need to go minimalist. Break the tube down. Separate the bladders so you can roll and compact everything. I recommend a soft pack (frameless) that is designed to carry 3+ days supplies. Around the 2000 cu. in. size.

You'll need to go minimalist with your camping equipment as well. Bivy sack instead of a tent. Or just sleep under the stars.

I miss my mountains. I was a Mountain Guide in Washington state. If I were close I'd love to go with you.

3 Re: Backcountry Toobin' on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 pm

chipmcd

Bobber
Bobber
i posted  some pics of my buddies gear for a short 6mi overnight trip to a Sierra's lake.  Like Bigfish mentioned, think packing is an easier way.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And in this thread, my buddy supsurfer, explains a little more in detail about packs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum