» Perris Lake
by GT Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 am

» Some stuff I got in trade
by Master Baiter Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 am

» Some pretty Awesome Decorative pieces
by Master Baiter Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 pm

» Welcome to Wader Skins
by Jerdon Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 pm

» What do you think Saltwater VS Freshwater should we?
by Misfitdog Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 pm

» Happy Birthday Marine Corps
by SP Dan Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:48 am

» How Much Does Your Fully Loaded FT Weigh?
by SP Dan Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Freshwater Fishing tips and tricks » Drop Shot fishing with flies

Drop Shot fishing with flies

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Drop Shot fishing with flies on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:35 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Ok I read this in an article and decided to look it up. I tie my own flies and seemed that is would be worth a try here is a link to an article about this.

Has anyone done this yet and if so did it work, I mean I am sure it will work but what is you experiance using this method. Thumbs Up
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

2 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:38 pm

floater73

Bobber
Bobber
Thank you sir never thought of tring this I will read it over, so you tie flies cool.

3 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:38 pm

37jb1973

Bobber
Bobber
Uh very interesting this may have work at Yorba for me just the other day. We could even use the mini jigs in the same fashion you think Thumbs Up

4 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 am

tommyboy

Newby
Newby
I tried this a few times no luck for me would like to see how it works for you guys.

5 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Hey Tommyboy have not seen you for a while and no have not tried this yet either.

6 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Monster

Bobber
Bobber
This sounds like a question Rudy would be asking lol

7 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 am

flyfishingfool

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:This sounds like a question Rudy would be asking lol

lol

Hmm... drop shotting on the fly? strange stuff man.

http://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

8 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 am

waxon67

Senior
Senior
I remember this article from a couple years ago. I understand the concept much better now than I did then. There are so many techniques out there and it seems to come down to thinking outside the box.

9 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:07 pm

mac_2_nite

Newby
Newby
Jeff and all,

I have tried flies on the drop shot, it all depends on the species/fly/time of year and all that.

I initially tried it after using the "bounce rig" on the Provo successfully, and thinking that such a simple alteration of putting the weights below the flies worked there on the river, I tried it with small wooly buggers. I think the biggest adjustment is learning what movement the fish wants, for example on some Uinta lakes the jerking/jigging motion was hot, and others they just liked it suspended. Kinda stupid to toss a wooly out and let it sit there, but it was working so I went with it. The 'bounce rig' really changed my view on rigging up for sub-surface fly fishing.

I have only used this on rookies, rainbows, and grayling. I think it would be a great saltwater application, especially in difficult current situations where even full sink flyline is getting pushed around.

I have heard tell of dudes using flies this way with spin gear, which may also work really well especially in saltwater...!

10 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 pm

mac_2_nite

Newby
Newby
Also, I didn't quite use the usual drop shot knot either. I like to tie a double surgeon with a long tag end (you choose whether top tag or bottom, both have advantages) and just tie the fly to that tag. This presents a more free-moving fly, similar to the "bounce rig" used in nymphing. It doesn't give you the direct connectivity that a normal drop shot setup does in that your hook isn't directly in line with the main line. Works pretty dang good though in my experiences!

11 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Komori

Junior
Junior
I just saw this older post.. I have been using this technique for big Bluegills, Redears and crappie at Lake Perris for several years now. But I have about 12 inches or so of "leader" line with a dark wet fly or nymph coming out from the main line. I have a size 7 split shot at the bottom of the tag end, which is about 18 inches below the "leader". When I slowly move along in my float tube, the split shot drags on the lake bottom with the fly 18 inches above it. I used to paint the split shot with a bright fluorescent yellow to get the fish's attention, but I would get too many Bluegill grabbing that instead of the bait. I would use a small jig instead of a split shot, but it would get snagged or get weeds and mud on it. By the way I use 2 pound test mono almost exclusively.

12 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:53 am

jeffcpr

Admin
Ya I could see the fish taking interest in the split-shot over the fly they are like that LOL.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men

13 Re: Drop Shot fishing with flies on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Tony G Fishing

I always say ill try it but dont haha..my buddy has given me flies to try out and i always end up with Zoom flukes on instead haha...think ill give it a shot this week..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum