Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Fishing Tackle And Gear Related Discussions » Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament

Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:28 am

Komori

Junior
Junior
Being an active fisherman that prefers monofilament lines for my ultralight fishing, I really like using the highly visible fluorescent lines. I've used all the major brands in clear and green, but I really like being able to see my line while fishing, especially while float tubing, but these low-vis lines are just too hard to see, especially in certain conditions like cloudy days, windy days, shady spots, etc.. I'm sure part of the problem is my vision, which just seems to get worse every year. I have used these blue and green fluorescent lines for several years now and I catch a lot of fish,.. they do not seem to shy away from Hi Vis lines, and I'm not just talking about Bluegill, Redears and crappie, but also bass and trout. Some of you guys that know me have seen the many nice bass I have caught from local lakes and parks with bright fluorescent mono. I've even caught bass in very clear water lakes. There's nothing more exciting (in fishing.. that is, ha ha!) than to be working your fly lined worm back in, then to SEE your line jump and start to move off as Mr. Bass takes your bait.
I've met guys that will never use a Hi Vis line, thinking the fish will see the line and not take the bait.  Fish don't care about the line, which they really cannot see after a few feet deep, they are just focused on the bait itself, especially if it's a fast moving bait, like a crankbait or spinnerbait.  Even with a slow moving plastic worm or creature bait, they don't hesitate to grab the lure.
Anyone else favor these lines?  Sorry for the lengthy post..

2 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:52 am

Jerdon

Komori it's always nice to read your posts. I like 2 pound mono for my ultra light set ups as well. For me the stiff handling characteristics of fluoro are a pain under 4 pound test. I'm from the view that if its hard for me to see it's hard for the fish to see, doesn't this explain the popularity of fluoro. I haven't used any hi vis line so far, maybe I'll give it a try.
Thanks for sharing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 am

Komori

Junior
Junior
Jerdon- You do understand that I am talking about fluorescent COLORED lines, not fluorocarbon line right? You mentioned light line stiffness, so I just wanted to be clear on that..

4 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:02 am

Jerdon

Komori wrote:Jerdon-  You do understand that I am talking about fluorescent COLORED lines, not fluorocarbon line right?  You mentioned light line stiffness, so I just wanted to be clear on that..

I do, I prefer mono in 2 pound test as well.

I was trying to convey 3 and 4 pound flouro is so stiff it has a lot more tangling issues than mono. Which is why I like the mono.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

5 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 am

supsurfer

Newby
Newby
If you are concerned about visibility to the fish, tie on an arms length of your favorite clear mono (nylon or fluoro) as a top shot. Double uni knot or albright knot. i use Fireline fused braid with a top shot of fluoro or nylon.

6 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:37 pm

kin

Junior
Junior
you know, I've come to realize that if you are working reaction baits, fish are less likely to really "look" at what they're munching on. If it makes fishing easier, I say don't let it hold you back. In dark situations, those bright lines make life a lot easier than squinting. Fishing starts with confidence.

7 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Komori

Junior
Junior
Supsurfer- I used to use a 3 or 4 foot length of a clear fluorocarbon leader, but one day at Perris I got broke off by a large fish, so when I retied my setup (a fly-lined Senko), I said to myself,.. "screw it, I'm going to tie this Hi Vis line directly to my bait!" And guess what?.. that was one of my best days on the lake! Lots of fish, with a couple big fish included. So anyway, I always just tie directly to the lure. Fish don't care or maybe they just can't see the line..

8 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:58 pm

supsurfer

Newby
Newby
Komori, I hear ya. I misunderstood your post and thought that you were asking how you could get the best of both worlds. It will surely depend on the situation and what type of fishing you are doing.
Is that Komori as in "bat"?
DavidT2.

9 Re: Fluorescent Hi Vis monofilament on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:31 am

Komori

Junior
Junior
Komori is just the company name of one of the large offset printing presses that I operate.. My actual name is Jeff, but don't tell anyone.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum