Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Fishing Tackle And Gear Related Discussions » Drop Shot Hooks

Drop Shot Hooks

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:37 am

GT

Old Timer
Old Timer
Does or has anyone used the Blackmore Standout drop shot hook? Thinking about trying some. Thanks guys......GT

2 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:03 am

SirMixALot

Bobber
Bobber
Haven't tried em but they look pretty cool. Do you know if they carry them locally?

3 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:21 pm

GT

Old Timer
Old Timer
Cabelas Sporting goods........No Bass Pro..........Tackle Warehouse on-line are a pretty good price. If you go to Blackmore site, kind of pricey. $4.99 for 6 hooks......TW is $2.99 for 6 hooks I believe...........GT

4 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Tony G Fishing

NICE GT, these would work perfect on the FLUKES Twisted Evil first time i see them! thanks for sharing sir!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:13 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Personnally I really dont like them kind of bulky and I don't feel they really did what they say they would.  I really like this type [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just my 2 cents.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

6 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:26 pm

The hook to me looks Heavy and Flimsy . The Design is Unique, but that appears to be is downfall to me .

Weak Points :
- The Metal used is Soft and Cheap (Rust will form easily in U joint , Hook Tie )
- The Hook can/will Straighten out on a large fish (over 3lbs)
- The Hook will cause constant Sharpening due to the Metal
- The Hook is Heavy , Most people drop shot 3-4" plastics the weight will cause the bait to nose dive thus , not allowing it to sit horizontal . (defeats the purpose of a drop shot)
- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!

in all honesty , I would not risk it especially if you hooked a big fish , to many variables in this Design to cause many issue's / Headaches

Wes

Last edited by Misfitdog on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

7 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:43 pm

Jerdon

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Personnally I really dont like them kind of bulky and I don't feel they really did what they say they would.  I really like this type [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff, did you give them a try?
How about a report? Say vs a Mosquito hook?
I thought they looked prone to tangles, so I never considered them. I was hoping GT would do a report.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

8 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 pm

wiseguy

Senior
Senior
I personally use size 1 Owner Mosquito hooks, they are sharp and work great for my drop shot setups.

9 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am

GT

Old Timer
Old Timer
I read some comments that go along with Misfitdog's reply. Hook has to be kept sharp and it showed a straightened hook, weak wire. I like the concept, but the manufacturing of product seems to be a little faulty. Also I have not been able to find larger sizes of hooks. The VMC Hooks that Jeff uses maybe the trick or Wiseguys Mosquito's.

As usual, lots of input from you guys, Thanks.........GT

10 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:30 am

jeffcpr

Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Personnally I really dont like them kind of bulky and I don't feel they really did what they say they would.  I really like this type [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff, did you give them a try?
How about a report? Say vs a Mosquito hook?
I thought they looked prone to tangles, so I never considered them. I was hoping GT would do a report.

I have not had any trouble with line twist and the are not to hard to tie up. In fact you can tie the hook to your main line, hook it to a hook keeper on your rod and once at the water then tie on the lead for your drop shot weight. It is sharp and hook sets are great, as for handling big fish I wish I could report on that, dinks no problem. Embarassed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I read some comments that go along with Misfitdog's reply. Hook has to be kept sharp and it showed a straightened hook, weak wire. I like the concept, but the manufacturing of product seems to be a little faulty. Also I have not been able to find larger sizes of hooks. The VMC Hooks that Jeff uses maybe the trick or Wiseguys Mosquito's.

No problem GT. Thumbs Up

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

11 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:54 pm

@GT wrote:I read some comments that go along with Misfitdog's reply. Hook has to be kept sharp and it showed a straightened hook, weak wire. I like the concept, but the manufacturing of product seems to be a little faulty. Also I have not been able to find larger sizes of hooks. The VMC Hooks that Jeff uses maybe the trick or Wiseguys Mosquito's.

So I almost hit it on the Head ... I just looked at a image and the Design of the hook and came to an Assumption based on the Manufacturer and how the Design is made .. Remember when we Drop Shot we want to stay lighter on the hook , but still keeping good quality in the hooks we use . The idea was built around lighter gear and smaller Baits (Gamakatsu , Owner VMC ) all Good Choices

Glad we could help you GT

Wes

12 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:23 pm

MenyoG

Bobber
Bobber
Never used those hooks.

I have been using Owner downshot dropshot hooks.  

Never had a problem with bass.

Last weekend I hooked a nice halibut, about 28".  Damned hook straightened. I almost lost the fish.

Here's the hook.

13 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 pm

fishinelectrician

Bobber
Bobber
Owner Moswuito Hooks in FW and in the harbors...

Owner SSW Red hooks in saltwater bass and shallow roccfishing situations...

14 Re: Drop Shot Hooks on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:03 pm

GT

Old Timer
Old Timer
Just thought I'd let you know I purchased a pak of 4 Gamakatsu finesse drop shot hooks at Bass Pro. Look pretty good,2/0 hook. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum