Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Fishing Tackle And Gear Related Discussions » My bass bait of choice

My bass bait of choice

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 My bass bait of choice on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:42 pm

Komori

Junior
Junior
Don't tell anyone, but if you don't get bit on this bait, you won't get bit.  When I go fishing for bass, fresh OR saltwater one of these Fat Ikas will be on a rod.  There are lots of ways to rig and fish them.  Now I see that Gary Yamamoto is making a saltwater model that has about half as many tentacles and a long, thinner body.  Some guy that was wading at sail cove at Perris gave me a demonstration on how to rig and fish this lure.  It was quite a successful demonstration!  While we were just standing waist deep he must have caught 3 or 4 decent bass.  That had to be 10 years ago or so, but these heavy plastic baits still produce for me, but I have doctored them up somewhat..  I even bought some of the "Tiny Ikas" that are great on the panfish.
And by the way, the name is actually pronounce EKA, with a long E sound, not with a long I sound..  It's Japanese for squid, according to Mr. Yamamoto.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2 Re: My bass bait of choice on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:03 pm

waxon67

Senior
Senior
I fish those. But I prefer the tubes which are really just a hollow version. I put them on the jig and often pack some sauce in the tube. Works nicely in the harbor. T-rig also.
Good stuff that what you got there!

3 Re: My bass bait of choice on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Jerdon

Komori thanks for sharing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

4 Re: My bass bait of choice on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Komori

Junior
Junior
You know, when I fish the bays, I use a fairly heavy line, and I will hook the Ika just once, right thru the body, just under the skirt. This way, the bait spirals downward on a slack line with the tentacles trailing behind, looking just like a baby octopus or squid. I like the white/chatruese color. I go right up to a piling and free spool the bait down next to it. You have to be ready with your thumb or you sometimes end up with a backlash when the fish grabs the bait and takes off with it. It's really fun and usually very productive, but you need to use braid or a heavy line because of the mussels and barnacles on the pilings that can easily cut your line.

5 Re: My bass bait of choice on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:37 pm

waxon67

Senior
Senior
Hey what's that other one called...with the little balls on the end of the tentacles?

6 Re: My bass bait of choice on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Chomps

Old Timer
Old Timer
Love the fat ikas especially rigged backwards.... Wax the one with balls is from damiki

7 Re: My bass bait of choice on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Komori

Junior
Junior
Just a short note.. The one with the tentacles with the tiny balls on their ends is the Damiki "Hydra".  I've tried them, but I liked the Fat Ika better.  But if you break off one of the Hydra balled tentacles, especially the red colored ones, and put a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Eagle Claw Circle hook through the ball, this makes for a really great Bluegill and crappie bait!  I've caught a few Rainbows on it too.  I rig it on a dropshot rig.

8 Re: My bass bait of choice on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:06 pm

sdbaybassn

Bobber
Bobber
Thanks for sharing do you texas rig them for the bay too?

9 Re: My bass bait of choice on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Komori

Junior
Junior
Yes, if I am fishing an area with eelgrass. You can rig it Texas style (skin-hooked 4/0 EWG hook) forward or backwards. If I am creeping it through grass or kelp, I'll rig it with the tentacles trailing behind. It goes through the grass better without hanging up.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum