Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube, Pontoon, and Equipment Related Discussions » new to float tubing

new to float tubing

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 6:34 am

rocsmcp

Newby
Newby
Hi I am new to floattubing and I have a few questions hopefully not dumb ones !! My buddy and I bought some float tubes in febuary and now it's with in season to put them in the water, my buddy gained some weight do to health issues so one of my questions is their any mod we can do to his tube to make it hold more weight and second question is do you actually need waders when in the tube

2 Re: new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 6:47 am

.:LOLLY:.

Senior
Senior
Welcome to the boards!
Which tube is it or what is it rated at and how much does your buddy weigh so we know how to better answer your question?
Weather wise, it is up to you to wear waders or not depending on if your body can handle it. Although, some lakes do require waders to be worn year round. I would suggest researching the body of water that you plan on fishing or name the body of water here and someone that has fished it before can answer if it's required or not.

3 Re: new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 am

rocsmcp

Newby
Newby
We bout the classic bighorn inflatable tube it's rated for 300 lbs and he weighs about 340, we live in upstate ny usually fish the irondiqoit bay

4 Re: new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 7:27 am

Fishingdachronarch201E7

Welcome rocsmcp!!!!

Youll find anything on tubing here and cant wait for some up state ny reports....good luck when u guys make it out!!!! Thumbs Up 

Tony g

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

5 Re: new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 7:29 am

.:LOLLY:.

Senior
Senior
I do know that tubes are usually under rated on what they can handle but at 340 plus gear I'd say that's pushing it. Hopefully someone can give tips on how to enhance it to handle more weight. Fow what it's worth, the Cumberland is rated for 350lbs. Honestly, I would suggest looking for another tube that can handle more or maybe even a pontoon.

6 Re: new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 7:41 am

rocsmcp

Newby
Newby
Thank you I did see that the pantoon style does hold a better weight range so that definitely is what he is going to look into..

7 Re: new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 pm

Jerdon

Welcome rocsmcp!
I surf so I wear wetsuits ( I have three to choose from) or board shorts depending on how cold I think it will be. Waders seem to be a better choice because you can layer up and they are made with fishing in mind.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

8 Re: new to float tubing on Thu May 29, 2014 4:55 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
As for waders you do need to check the waters you will be fishing as out here some do have no contact rules. Meaning if you are in the water you must have waders on at all times. The tube issue, I agree with .:LOLLY:. the Bighorn can handle more then it is rated for, but it would be pushing it. I cannot think of anything that could be done to improve it weight load or floatability. But our DIY guys here are pretty amazing at times. Again like .:LOLLY:. said the Cumberland is a good idea and even better going to a pontoon would be the best bet.
Don't forget we get a 15% discount from Cover Bonanza just for being members of the FTFF, every little bit helps.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum