Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Share Your Photos & Videos » Skishing. Would you do it?

Skishing. Would you do it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:04 am

Ifishtoolittle

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This fishing style was born on the East Coast from Montauk. Crazy looking fun right here!

2 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:24 am

Yellowrock

Junior
Junior
Looks fun but hell no I ain't doing it. Wonder how the coffee grinders work soaked in water.

3 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 am

kin

Bobber
Bobber
van stalls/zbass reels are built specifically to withstand and perform while in water. East coast reels made for surf fishing for stripers. I wouldn't want to skish out here with the grey tax man lurking...maybe skish in fresh water?

4 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 am

GT

Old Timer
Old Timer
Isn't that what we all strive for? The glue that holds that man together. Skishing. Awesome.

5 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 am

Jerdon

Probably not. I have friends who would fish on their surfboards at SanO and I didn't think that was a good idea. I still have reservations about bobbing in the harbor.

Thanks for sharing it takes all kinds.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

6 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:43 am

Mikeotunakiller

Bobber
Bobber
So let's do it! Looks like a blast. San o sounds like a great place to try. Even if there are juevenile white sharks there. There still eating fishing, not seals yet Wink

7 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Junior
Junior
These guys usually go at night when sharks and boaters are less active. You would really and I mean REALLY have to know the tide shift, wind, waves, and other weather conditions before you head out. Also, going alone is just plain stupid.

I can't really see a point in doing this at a lake. lol plus what lake do we have around here that allows you to swim around the entire shoreline. DVL? haha!!!

It's insane fun though. Imagine hooking a 30lb yellow or a 40lb WSB in the kelp? lol would be a hell of at time!

8 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Junior
Junior
Speaking of which, are there any watertight baitcasters on the market?  Spinners are a given, but they cost a few arms and a leg.

9 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:20 pm

dlobo

Bobber
Bobber
Skishing, would I do it. Feck no! I like the pouring rain and the brutal conditions he says.
I bet he liked it when when sister Mary Francis spanked his ass in the 9th grade also.

10 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Jerdon

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Skishing, would I do it. Feck no! I like the pouring rain and the brutal conditions he says.
I bet he liked it when when sister Mary Francis spanked his ass in the 9th grade also.

I'm with you there dlobo!
I like pouring rain when I'm at home watching thru the window with a cup of coffee in my hand.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

11 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Very interesting but I think I prefer my float tube  Cool 

Matthew 4:19
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

12 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:33 am

Catman1979

Bobber
Bobber
This was on that "Extreme Angling with Erik Young" show...
Despite Erik making it look like fun, I will pass. Not so much because of the shark issue, but it seems like a "big fight", would be you just gettin' pulled around in the water? I want to fill the fight.

13 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:21 am

dayhut

Junior
Junior
Years ago I would wade out as far as I could to reach behind the swells/breakers. Neck deep, bobbing around. It wasn't very effective, pretty unrefined really.
It wasnt swim fishing, per se, but it was close.

I like the guys mental attitude best. And his wife? Not only is she beautiful, smart and supportive, but this:
"I hope it feeds his soul."

Wow

Would I do it? Probably, with those guys as guides.

"Try everything twice, just to be sure." - Dayhut

14 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sat May 31, 2014 5:57 am

Ifishtoolittle

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Years ago I would wade out as far as I could to reach behind the swells/breakers. Neck deep, bobbing around. It wasn't very effective, pretty unrefined really.
It wasnt swim fishing, per se, but it was close.  

I like the guys mental attitude best. And his wife? Not only is she beautiful, smart and supportive, but this:
"I hope it feeds his soul."

Wow

Would I do it? Probably, with those guys as guides.

"Try everything twice, just to be sure." - Dayhut

This is a fishing style that I want to try before I become a old guy with people that depend on me. I'm just imagining how awesome it would be to horse a yellowtail out of the kelp.

15 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sat May 31, 2014 6:19 am

dayhut

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

This is a fishing style that I want to try before I become a old guy with people that depend on me.  I'm just imagining how awesome it would be to horse a yellowtail out of the kelp.  
I should probably be offended by the "old guy" crack, but your good character evinced by the, "before people depend on me" comment makes up for it.  Thumbs Up 

These guys are probably safer doing this, than a lot of other activities they could engage in. My one concern is they are in a notorious shark corridor.
While it's true, statistically, that most people survive shark attacks.... Well, I don't really wanna become part of that data base.

16 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sat May 31, 2014 4:58 pm

FloatFishRI

Newby
Newby
I was really big in to surf casting and skishing before I got in to fly fishing 3 or 4 years ago. I definitely miss the rush of it and will probably start doing it again some day. For now, it is hard not to grab my fly rods over spinning rods. Big fish on a fly is just something else and really gets me going!

17 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:21 pm

fisheromen

Junior
Junior
Looks like the reason float tubes were invented.  No, thank You!

BTW, sharks are less active at night???  In Hawaii they tell us tourists not to go in the water at dawn or dusk; shark feeding times!   Shocked

And wouldn't swim fishing be Swishing? How does the "k" fit in?

Last edited by fisheromen on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

18 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:54 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Junior
Junior

This is a fishing style that I want to try before I become a old guy with people that depend on me.  I'm just imagining how awesome it would be to horse a yellowtail out of the kelp.  
I should probably be offended by the "old guy" crack, but your good character evinced by the, "before people depend on me" comment makes up for it.  Thumbs Up 

These guys are probably safer doing this, than a lot of other activities they could engage in. My one concern is they are in a notorious shark corridor.
While it's true, statistically, that most people survive shark attacks.... Well, I don't really wanna become part of that data base.

Lol you shouldn't be offended by the old guy crack. I was talking about the future me. I'm not .too knowledgable on the feeding habits of our local sharks, but I would say that if your tight in the kelp you shouldn't have too many problems.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I was really big in to surf casting and skishing before I got in to fly fishing 3 or 4 years ago.  I definitely miss the rush of it and will probably start doing it again some day.  For now, it is hard not to grab my fly rods over spinning rods.  Big fish on a fly is just something else and really gets me going!

Oooo! Did you ever have any close encounters with the toothy critters? What's your PB striper and bluefish on this fishing style.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Looks like the reason float tubes were invented.  No, thank You!

BTW, sharks are less active at night???  In Hawaii they tell us tourists not to go in the water at dawn or dusk; shark feeding times!   Shocked

And wouldn't swim fishing be Swishing?  How does the "k" fit in?

It's not for everyone, understandable. No clue on the activity of the sharks at night.

It's called skishing because when you hook a large fish it pulls hard enough to make you move and with fins on you're kind of skiing in the water=skishing.

19 Re: Skishing. Would you do it? on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:52 am

JOER210

Bobber
Bobber
Ok no thanks I wonder if his wife has a huge life insurance policy on him

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum