The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Holiday Gift Ideas
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Our 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive is now in effect
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» What do you think Saltwater VS Freshwater should we?
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

» Early present
by Hunt Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

» Santa Ana River Lakes
by GT Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am

» Edge Open Heel Flex Scuba Fin
by jeffcpr Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

» Wader and Boot Dryer
by SP Dan Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 pm

» Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stockingfoot Breathable Guide Pant
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

» Hello from Vhanaya
by Hunt Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 am

» Waterproof Reels - Penn Spinfisher and KastKing Sharky II
by singletrack Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

» Fish finder recommendations
by Jerdon Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube and Pontoon Tips, Tricks and Mods » Colorado XT Mods

Colorado XT Mods

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Colorado XT Mods on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Casting Call

Bobber
Bobber
In the past month or so, Ive seen on alot of people on here with Colorado XT's. Here are the simple mods Ive done on mine. I suppose other model toons can use these too.

The two most important mods that was done to vastly improve functionality and comfort were to install a swivel seat mount and modifying the transport wheel.

Installing a swivel seat mount is pretty self explanatory so I wont post pics. In my opinion, the swivel mount is a MUST if you are using a trolling motor. It will save your neck and shoulder alot of pain! The one thing I did do though, is to install some space washers about 1.5 inches or so to raise me a little bit higher, and for the seat bottom to clear the frame if im leaning too much to the left or right while turning in the seat.

The second mod was the transport wheel. The stock wheel that it comes with, although a great idea, is pretty useless. When your "wheel barrowing" around your toon even with nothing loaded, you tend to wobble left or right. Add your gear and its extremely awkward. To correct this, a friend removed the wheel and installed bigger wheels onto the outside of the fork.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Heres another view:

I can have my toon fully assembled, the trolling motor battery strapped to the rear deck, all my rods and gear loaded, and the trolling motor sitting across on the seat and wheel barrow the toon over paved roads and dirt, uphill, down hill, with ease, and it doesnt wobble left or right!

The third mod, was to have trolling rod holders made. My friend took a 12" pipe, 2" diameter and cut one end to mold over the frame where the pre-drilled holes are for the rod holder.
The way the end is cut, it mounts at about a 45 degree angle. You can go to a muffler shop and they can make you a couple of these. Or you can use PVC pipes. I have two of them. Since I have these, I dont even know where the stock rod holder is anymore, it sucked anyway..lol

The last mod I did was the easiest - the most bang for your buck..or effort. I went and bought a Berkley 3 rod holder off the shelf. I also went and bought a pack of data cable management velcro strips. You can pick these up at Radio Shack for like five bucks IIRC. They come in a roll of 3, and each strip has a little slit on one end so you can run the other end through it. I used two strips of velcro, run one strip through the slit of the second velcro strip.
I took the 3 rod rod holder and mounted it on the outside of the left side of my rear deck, and velcro'd the heck out of it. Make sure you dont mount it too low, or it will be in the way of the pontoon. Ive never had to remove this rod mount since Ive installed it, and usually have it loaded with rods and never once even worried about it falling off.

Having it mounted to the left rear side, it never got in the way, even fully loaded, when Im hooked on a fish.

Oh, the last mod I did was mounting my FF. I used RAM mounts.

To attach to my toon, I got a U Bolt from home depot and mounted it on the right front of the frame where it slopes down from the oar. I also got a small plastic tool box from Frys Electronics and cut a few holes to run the wires through and to run some plastic tie downs to secure the FF battery.
Anyway, hope this helps you guys!

2 Re: Colorado XT Mods on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:14 pm

SirMixALot

Bobber
Bobber
Nice. Do you have a picture of the toon all put together?

3 Re: Colorado XT Mods on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Casting Call

Bobber
Bobber
I dont have a pic with all my mods, but Ill put it together and take pics soon.

4 Re: Colorado XT Mods on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Jerdon

Styling ride you got there!

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

5 Re: Colorado XT Mods on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 am

Catman1979

Bobber
Bobber
That's some good stuff CC!! I really like the wheel idea, but didn't find transporting it that bad. What I did have to do though is let some air outta the wheel. Seems to roll better. The rod idea I am diggin' too!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum