The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Holiday Gift Ideas
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Our 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive is now in effect
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» What do you think Saltwater VS Freshwater should we?
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

» Early present
by Hunt Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

» Santa Ana River Lakes
by GT Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am

» Edge Open Heel Flex Scuba Fin
by jeffcpr Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

» Wader and Boot Dryer
by SP Dan Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 pm

» Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stockingfoot Breathable Guide Pant
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

» Hello from Vhanaya
by Hunt Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 am

» Waterproof Reels - Penn Spinfisher and KastKing Sharky II
by singletrack Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

» Fish finder recommendations
by Jerdon Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube and Pontoon Tips, Tricks and Mods » Bungee Cords

Bungee Cords

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bungee Cords on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

jjvalencia

Bobber
Bobber
Question about bungee cords I have a 24" bungee from my rid rack to the other side of my tube its a cumberland. Is that too much pressure acting on the bladder or will affect anything or will it be fine? Is there a better way to make the rack sturdier? Thanks anything is much appreciated!salute

2 Re: Bungee Cords on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

.:LOLLY:.

Senior
Senior
Without seeing it, it just sounds really tight since the tube itself is pretty wide. Some pictures would help find you a proper solution. What is "wrong" with your rack and what are you trying to achieve?

3 Re: Bungee Cords on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 pm

jjvalencia

Bobber
Bobber
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Without seeing it, it just sounds really tight since the tube itself is pretty wide. Some pictures would help find you a proper solution. What is "wrong" with your rack and what are you trying to achieve?
I put a slanted rod holder for my net the rack is on the left side and the rack slants to the left side so I put a screw eye on the bottom as centered as possible and ran a bungee underneath the tube. I will take pictures tommorow an post. Thank You

4 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 am

dayhut

Junior
Junior
Watching this one.... thanks fellas.

5 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm

TheAsianGuy

Old Timer
Old Timer
When you're running a bungee cord from one side of the tube to the other, at the top, you're place a bit of stress on the bladder, but not enough to create possible bladders failure. However, you are causing the surface abrasion on your bladders cover as the cord rubs back and forth. This will reduce your tube's material lifespan at the contact point. If you're planning to run it below, same thing. Another thing about having a bungee cord  holding down the rack is you're forcing two sides of the tube to come together under the tension of the cord. That decreases the effectiveness of the tube gliding through water, such as directional control and stability. This is why modding your tube for racks on both sides, we utilize a crossbar behind the seat. This stabilizes the racks during movements, as well as create an additional holding capacity for your rack overall weights.

For a Cumberland, there are plenty of space in the back of the seat for housing the net there, to get the net out of the way, preserving that empty spot for the spare rod, or just an empty location for rod holding during trolling. A large net sticking out on one side will create too much instability, unless the net is one of those small short handle trout net. In either case, toss the net in the back of you, or mount the net running horizontally with your bladder on either side.

6 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Senior
Senior
That all depends on how tight your bungee is pulling. Mine is just tight enough to hold the rack vertical but not enough to torque on the bladders. It also depends on what type of bungees you're using since some stretch easier than others. I've use my tube with and without my rack and have not noticed any distinctive differences. I hold 3 rods, lip gripper, pliers, & a knife and still cruise happily through the water.

7 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:20 pm

TheAsianGuy

Old Timer
Old Timer
Ah, there you go Lolly. You're traveling light..minus the 3 tuna rods Wink

He's asking about a net, possibly angling 45° back/forward, standing high, creating weigh-burden which causes the rack to lean to the left. Rod is weight is light, in comparison to the net. If the net is sitting lower based on the handle, it wouldn't be a problem. Creating a quick mount/holding system to the side will stabilize out the rack, without the need for the cords.

I believe a few of us uses the cords here to hold down the racks, but we're also going light. I think he's going with a moderate weight-stress on the rack, with high profile.

8 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

jjvalencia

Bobber
Bobber
Thanks let me post the pics. I may have to go get maybe a 36" bungee but here let me show you Guys how it looks.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

9 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm

jjvalencia

Bobber
Bobber
i have two 24" bungees one that wraps around one of the bladders and the other that goes beneath.

10 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm

TheAsianGuy

Old Timer
Old Timer
With that layout, the stressor points are very minor as long as you don't over tug the cords. If you worry about abrasion with that set up, get a $0.99 floating noodle a the local Dollar Tree store, super glue it a thin layer of the noodle around the contact points body, and the abrasion will pretty much be eliminated.

11 Re: Bungee Cords on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:51 pm

jjvalencia

Bobber
Bobber
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:With that layout, the stressor points are very minor as long as you don't over tug the cords. If you worry about abrasion with that set up, get a $0.99 floating noodle a the local Dollar Tree store, super glue it a thin layer of the noodle around the contact points body, and the abrasion will pretty much be eliminated.

GOOD IDEA I WILL DO THAT I MAY ALSO JUST GET A 36" BUNGEE AS WELL TO RELEASE A LITTLE BIT MORE PRESSURE. THANK YOU

12 Re: Bungee Cords on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:29 am

Gatorfan

Bobber
Bobber
I just ordered some raw bungee and connectors from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and custom made mine to fit.  Inexpensive and easy to make!

13 Re: Bungee Cords on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Senior
Senior
Shorter caribiners will also help you out straighten your rod rack. Since it sits pretty low, the curvature of the tube pushes the top of the rack out. By getting shorter caribiners it'll lift the rack placing the bottom of the rack at the part that sticks out the furthest on your tube. This way you will need less pressure to keep your rack vertical

14 Re: Bungee Cords on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:55 pm

jjvalencia

Bobber
Bobber
Awesome thanks guys!

15 Re: Bungee Cords on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 am

bodfish

Junior
Junior
Hey guys,
perhaps you might consider using D ring patches and tie down straps instead of bungees at all. The D ring patches are a cinch to install (just glue them on!) and the tie down straps are quantumly stronger and more reliable than bungees. Check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on the net and you'll see what I mean. Bungees are, no Bueno! 

bodfish

16 Re: Bungee Cords on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:44 pm

fisheromen

Junior
Junior
You might want to make sure the hooks are not digging into the tube fabric.  Just turn them out.  I'm with Gatorfan on the home-made bungees.  I bought 50' of 1/4" marine grade cord for like $15 on ebay. I buy cheap dollar-store bungees and cut off the hooks. Make them any length you need.  The stuff really comes in handy.  

Also, I use Velcro tape to attach the rack to the D-rings.  You can make them any length you need to get the right lean on the rods.  I like mine to lean slightly away from me. As long as you use 3/4 inch tape and overlap the ends at least 1.5 inch there is no way it will let loose. The stuff is really cheap at Walmart.

17 Re: Bungee Cords on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:49 pm

dayhut

Junior
Junior
I like the D Ring patches...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum