Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Fishing Tackle And Gear Related Discussions » Baitcast Reel Ruined

Baitcast Reel Ruined

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:08 pm

mightyminnow25

Bobber
Bobber
Do you guys wash your rods and reels after fishing salt? I'm not sure what happened but my Daiwa Megaforce reel is really rough now. It sticks when I try to reel it in and the twitch bar no longer works. I am going to try to take it apart and clean and lube it. I've never done this before so do you guys have any tips? Do you wash your baitcast reels after fishing in the salt? Thats the only thing I Could think of that would make my reel stick. There is also a rough grinding sound when I start to reel it in.

2 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:26 pm

jjvalencia

Bobber
Bobber
Every time I fish the salt I rinse all my gear off. If youn don't do so it will corrode because salt corrodes like crazy. But yeah take it apart and clean and lube it. Good luck hope it makes it better.

3 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:36 pm

mightyminnow25

Bobber
Bobber
Thanks. The only thing I rinse is my float tube, fins and hooks, baits, etc. It never occurred to me to rinse the reel. Now I have to figure how to take it apart and what parts to lube and what not. Sucks!

4 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm

.:LOLLY:.

Senior
Senior
If you don't want to open up your reel completely, try cleaning where the spool makes contact with the reel. There might be some salt build up in there. Also, remove your bearings and clean/oil them then slap them back in

5 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:15 pm

mightyminnow25

Bobber
Bobber
.:LOLLY:. wrote:If you don't want to open up your reel completely, try cleaning where the spool makes contact with the reel. There might be some salt build up in there. Also, remove your bearings and clean/oil them then slap them back in

Thanks. I'll definitely try that later. I plan on going out friday so I want my reels to be in working condition lol.. i hope its not completely ruined.

6 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Senior
Senior
I've had that problem many a times before. You should be fine! Even though I'm guilty of not always washing down my reel, I highly recommend it.

7 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm

mightyminnow25

Bobber
Bobber
Cool Thanks man

8 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:36 pm

jmericle

Junior
Junior
Call me crazy, but I used gun oil inside of my caenen reel and it spins like a top now.  I had sand in it from the beach.  It was my first time taking a reel apart too.  Just be careful of springs.  Take the bearings out and lube them.

9 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:39 pm

mightyminnow25

Bobber
Bobber
I didnt' think of that. I was just gonna use synthetic motorcycle oil haha.. but gun oil sounds better. I have plenty Very Happy

10 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm

jmericle

Junior
Junior
I used Remington gun oil and it was like $1.85 for the bottle at Walmart. I learned from a tackle shop that most gun oil is the same thing as reel gear oil. I'm glad I took notes. The reel now spins better than when it was brand new. mightyminnow25 wrote:I didnt' think of that. I was just gonna use synthetic motorcycle oil haha.. but gun oil sounds better. I have plenty Very Happy

11 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Senior
Senior
Before you oil the bearings don't forget to clean them first. I clean mine with coleman fuel

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 pm

mightyminnow25

Bobber
Bobber
will do. Can I just use brake cleaner or wd40?

13 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Senior
Senior
not sure about brake cleaner but I have heard to stay away from wd-40. The coleman fuel is all I've ever used so I'm not sure what else can be used. It's pretty cheap at wally world.

14 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 pm

mightyminnow25

Bobber
Bobber
ok ill def check it out. Thanks for the advice everyone!

15 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 am

Master Baiter

Junior
Junior
Coca cola is good for breaking down corrosion. just rinse it after

16 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 am

Master Baiter

Junior
Junior
And also i make it a habit to take apart my reels completely and oil n lube them up every year just before trout season starts

17 Re: Baitcast Reel Ruined on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 am

fisheromen

Junior
Junior
You will want to go online and find an exploded view of that reel. That will be invaluable if you get in trouble. Use very light oil. Gun oil may work, but not sure I would chance it. Rule of thumb is oil on bearings and grease on gears. Nothing to excess! In fact, wipe off all excess oil with q-tips. There are some really good YouTube videos on this. If the main gear is corroded it may need replacing. Tough to get all those teeth smooth and clean.

Yes, you MUST rinse your reel after using in salt!!! If it happens to get dunked you will need to take it apart.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum