Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube, Pontoon, and Equipment Related Discussions » 1st Salt Trip Reccomendations....please help!

1st Salt Trip Reccomendations....please help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 1st Salt Trip Reccomendations....please help! on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:58 am

bigmouthbasshole

Bobber
Bobber
So with the Toy Drive quickly approaching, I am excited and a little intimidated that I will be tubing in the ocean for the 1st time. I started thinking about my strategy and realized I have a lot of questions about what I should take with me especially since I live so dam far. Any feedback in the following catagories is apprechiated. Especially from those of you with experience at NPH.

1. What is a good all around lb test I should use? I would like to fish with 1 rod and 1 back-up.

2. I would like to be prepared with at least 3 go to baites, lures, worms or whatever. What do you reccomend?

3. I am a minimalist and usually fish with one rod and very little equipment. Is there anything in this category you would not live without (example: lippers, net)

4. Are there any dangers I need to look out and be prepared for (current, fish that are dangerous to handle, etc.)

Once again, advice from this forum has been very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

FishinPhil

Junior
Junior
1. I bring 12 lb. and 14 lb. flourocarbon and run a three foot leader when I fish the bays. My main line is 20 lb. braid.
2. Swimbaits and grubs. Green, white, brown and orange combo.
3.PFD, net, gaff, and lippers.
4. Current in the harbors is usually not to strong. Sculpin and possibly a mantis shrimp are the two you need to know about. Check them out on the web for more info.

Chomps

Old Timer
Old Timer
1. I have two rods that I bring a 6lb and a 8lb
2. 3in swim baits and grubs in chartreuse ,Xmas tree and clear red flake and I also use berkley 3in minow the smelt one for the ds
3.pdf ,whistle and pliers Ohh and a bottle of hot sauce for scent
4.just be aware of your surrounding just incase some boatters can't see you the sculpin their fins can give you a painful sting, you might catch a baby octopus but they are harmless

.:LOLLY:.

Senior
Senior
1. 10# & 12# will get the job done

2. Blues, greens, and browns with red swimbaits in 3" & 4" with 1/4oz-1/2oz lead heads.

3. You can do without the gaff, lip grippers get the job done! Pliers make it easier to remove hooks from fish. Life jacket. Also bring your waders if you have them. I've heard there are some little insects that like to bite legs as you're entering/exiting the water.

4. Don't lip grip a halibut no matter how small and cute it looks.

jeffcpr

Admin
So far all good info, me I say 6 to 8lbs test works best but that is your call. I agree with the fish to worry about and lip grippers are just fine. Keep your eyes peeled on boat traffic have waders and PFD. And just get there safely in the moring the guys that are going to be there are so cool. You will have plenty of pointers and guides to take care of you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

bigmouthbasshole

Bobber
Bobber
Great info so far, Im feeling much more comfortable. Quick Question: Do you wear the PDF while you are fishing or do you just have one with you (attached to the tube)

Fisher

Senior
Senior
1. 6 to 10lb test
2. hammers, ots, on 1/4oz to 1/2oz head anything 3 to 4in is your best bet 6in sandworms work awesome on the ds
3. lippers most time a must a net for that one thing u might catch and dont want to touch ahah pfd dont really need and waders a good to have
4. watch for boaters most of them think they own the water and the fins of a sculpin o and those sharks swimin under u haha
your goin to have fun and there will be ppl out there with u so no worries

jeffcpr

Admin
Fisrt time I got in the saltwater I went with a feww guys Sonarbp was with me he said the words as we kicked out. "Don't worry about the sharks........ The have already seen you"

Did not make me feel better maybe it will help some one else.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

Senior
Senior
At first I didn't even have a PFD, then I bought one and started clipping it to my tube. Now I wear it all the time.

Yeah people might say that they are great swimmers and this and the other. I started thinking what happens if you get knocked out for one reason or another, your swimming skills will be irrelevant... That's why I started wearing it all the time. It will do you no good if you're unconscious and your PFD is clipped to your tube or at home...

FishinPhil

Junior
Junior
x2

bigmouthbasshole

Bobber
Bobber
Good point Lolly. A PDF will do me no good if something goes wrong. Plus, the fish dont care what I look like!

bigmouthbasshole

Bobber
Bobber
I just watched a youtube video about some guys who were tube'n NHP. One of the guys made a comment that the harbor had just been stocked with Spotties.

Do they stock the Harbor?????

Senior
Senior
No, it does not get stocked with spotties. The only thing remotely close to a stock would be the white sea bass program they got going but that's an entirely different monster going on.

bassfishing24/7

Old Timer
Old Timer
Watch out for the sealions at nph,theres some huge ones that hang out there!

bigmouthbasshole

Bobber
Bobber
Ok, I think I was less worried before I asked this question. Now I have to try and avoid SHARKS, SEA LIONS, AND GETTING KNOCKED OUT AT RANDOM! What did I get myself into!

Senior
Senior
LMFAO Those are things that are just worst case scenario. I've been tubing for quite a bit now and never had any problems with any of those things. It's just better to be prepared for the "what if". Kind of like medical insurance or automotive insurance, I don't plan on breaking any bones or getting in any car accidents but "what if". Better to have it and not use it than need it and wish you had it...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum