» Round 2 FTFF Tournament
by jeffcpr Today at 7:18 am

» Eastern Sierras
by GT Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Float Tube Tournament Series January Winners
by jeffcpr Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 pm

» Consumer Reports Ranks Top Sunscreens for 2017
by CPT Kirk Tue May 23, 2017 4:34 pm

» My Anderson with motor and high waves!
by Jerdon Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm

» The Gigbob
by jeffcpr Mon May 22, 2017 11:13 am

» Perris water temp?
by rucker Sun May 21, 2017 7:00 pm

» Marina Del Rey and more...
by Jerdon Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 pm

» Float Tube Rod Holder: CastMate Systems vs. DIY
by Jerdon Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

» July Tournament Rule Adjustments
by Stxngray Sat May 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Non-U.S. Posts and Threads » Australian fishing reports » Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia

Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Sun May 27, 2012 10:21 pm

motorazr

Bobber
Bobber
Hey guys, recently joined to expand my knowledge of float tubes and modifications, although this report will not be of use to most of you I thought I would let you know where I like to fish. I hail from Adelaide in South Australia.
South Australia is the driest state of all of Australia, and most to all of our rivers here, run intermittently. The fresh water fishing scene here is a well kept secret and most of the introduced species such a redfin, browns and rainbows (trout) congregate in pools. Needless to say there is a lot of walking between pools and most of the holes are in inaccessable places. I have recently started to go into Western Victoria around the Grampians (Mountain Range) to find a more plentiful supply of water.
Lake Bolac is situated about 7 hours from Adelaide on the eastern side of the Grampians heading east from South Australia, the Lake has a depth of about 2 metres and up until 2 years ago was completely dry, as were most of the lakes in the western part of Victoria. A severe drought caused major problems throughout both Victoria and South Australia, needless to say the fresh water fishing suffered horribly in both states.
Lake Bolac has been slowly filling these last two years and about 12 months ago reports started coming in of exceptional catches, fish to 4kg and more. A release of fingerlings in 2010 of Rainbow trout had seen phenominal growth due to an abundance of food. The lake supports populations of Eel, brown trout, rainbows and as of December 2011 Estuary Perch when 5000 fingerlings were released.
In May I fished the Lake from the shore and using local smelt and Burkley powerbait (the pink paste variety) over a 2, half day period, caught 10 rainbow. The best being about 3.5 kg, lost a massive hit which broke me off as soon as it bit, even with the drag set and threw 2 back as their mothers were looking for them. I have posted a pic of part of my catch in the introductions "newbie from down under".
Due to the depth of the Lake there are weed beds ranging to about 70feet from the shoreline and one needs to cast beyond this to get exceptional catches. I was talking to a couple of older guys I met (in their 90's) who fished the area regularly and they had caught and released about 20 fish the previous day. I opened up a few of my catch and their gut was full of smelt and a largish black beetle. Reports showed that this beetle did not live around the shoreline but was thought to be a water beetle which lived in the weed.
I did note that when i was there in May there were quite a lot of midges on the water but very little fish rising to take them.
I am planning another trip back there in June and plan on taking my fly gear this time to get some practice in, I will post further regarding that trip.

Apologies guys I just realised this should have been in the out of state report section.

Last edited by motorazr on Sun May 27, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : realised the report was in the wrong section)

2 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Mon May 28, 2012 8:41 am

jeffcpr

Admin
motorazr that was some very cool info thanks for sharing with us. Hope you guys stay wet for some time right now, so you can get some good tube fishing in. Have you tried some saltwater fishing yet are you close enough for that or is it too far for you.

Matthew 4:19
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

3 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 am

Tubinferbass

Senior
Senior
Great info man cant wait to see pics Thumbs Up

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

4 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Mon May 28, 2012 9:54 am

Kelster

Junior
Junior
Thanks for the report, I hope you get some rain.

5 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Mon May 28, 2012 3:36 pm

motorazr

Bobber
Bobber
Here in Adelaide I am only 15 minutes from the beach so plenty of saltwater fishing to be had. In my younger days I worked to go fishing and spent many a cold night on jetties and beaches chasing everything from shark to mulloway (jewfish), used to drag my son along from about 3 years of age and tie him to my leg with a rope at night, so if I fell asleep he wouldn't fall off the edge of the jetty. Never told his mother this as she would have put paid to this idea pretty quickly. He has the fishing bug also and has had some pretty impressive tuna catches under his belt. In my later years unfortunately I like my bed too much and think getting up at 0700hrs is an adventure. I have always been intrigued by fly fishing and only recently restored an old fly reel belonging to my father (reel is in good nick for something 60 years old) and have mixed both fly and spinning, searching for freshwater species which seem to be a whole new challenge.

6 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Mon May 28, 2012 6:02 pm

n2deepfsw

Senior
Senior
Glad you found us and thanks for the reports...

7 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

welcome to the forum. glad to see people around the world finding us.
great intro btw

8 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 am

jeffcpr

Admin
miller wrote:welcome to the forum. glad to see people around the world finding us.
great intro btw

Ya we have quite a few members from other counties now. I sure hope we can start a rise in float tubing down under boys. If the out of country side of the side grows we might have to do some good will tour's Twisted Evil (sorry honey its my job to fish other places) Thumbs Up

Matthew 4:19
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

9 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Tue May 29, 2012 3:03 pm

motorazr

Bobber
Bobber
More than welcome, but it will be bring your own float tube because they're as scarce as hens teeth here.lol

10 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:06 pm

motorazr

Bobber
Bobber
Well off to Lake Bolac on Monday with the wife for three days, will hopefully post a few pics when I get back. I am going to take a small #808 HD keychain camera with me to test out at the same time.I've attached it to the brim of my hat so should get quite a few good shots.

11 Lake Bolac on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 am

motorazr

Bobber
Bobber
Got back from Lake Bolac today. Things have slowed considerably since I was last there in March. Fished Monday afternoon from about 1400hrs to 1630 hours overcast and cold, no bites at all and completely dead. I wasn't the only one there with nothing to show. An onshore wind pushed weed onto the shore making it difficult to retrieve line and one was forever cleaning line and baits.
Tuesday fished from 0800 hours (just light) to 1630 hours (just on dark). No wind, completely flat and a lot of small white bait rising in the sunlit water sections. A few rises further down the foreshore but nothing in the shaded areas.
Temperature about 1 degree in the shade. Fish started biting sporadically at about 1000hrs and continued on till about 1230 hours.
The morning session saw the fish sitting with the bait in their mouths and sucking it from the hook.
No runs and no hard bites.
Most of the 5 fish we caught were males, 2 were females and full of eggs.
The afternoon saw little action until about 1430hrs when they started again however, this time the line would slowly feed and as soon as the rod was picked up they would drop the bait.
Very finicky. I put the unusual strike pattern down to the fact that in the rivers now it is closed season for a few months as the trout spawn, and the lakes remain open, the trout are in breeding mode as the males I caught had started to colour up on the gill rakes. More interested in breeding than feeding I imagine.
Quite a few of the trout had a small tubular shell in their gut like a small worm casing.
Any way my Cumberland rocked up on wednesday (today) too bad it hadn't arrived before I left. All I need to get now is a carry bag for it so I can tote it around.
A pic of the days catch.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by motorazr on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

12 Re: Fishing Lake Bolac Victoria - Australia on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:44 am

wiseguy

Senior
Senior
Good report and the fish look ready for the frying pan!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum