The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Log in

I forgot my password



Latest topics

» Leg and foot cramps..not fun
by Ornery Bob Yesterday at 12:12 pm

» 7 Bass is coming
by woodpig Yesterday at 10:44 am

» Lobster Season!
by Ornery Bob Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm

» Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL
by Jerdon Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:38 pm

» 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive
by jeffcpr Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:50 pm

» Midwest Fly Guys?
by woodpig Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:35 am

» Net Technique?
by Ornery Bob Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:54 am

» Newbie in Los Banos, CA
by Ornery Bob Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 am

» Float Tube Tournament
by jeffcpr Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:32 pm

» Hello From Michigan
by jeffcpr Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 pm

» Okuma "Celilo" ultralight rods?
by Ornery Bob Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:31 pm

» Have you ever gone swimming?
by branders Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner


You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Fishing Tackle And Gear Related Discussions » What a D R A G

What a D R A G

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 10:37 am

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
Hammer 4 wrote:
Aquaholic38 wrote:
Hammer 4 wrote:For bay fishing, I lock my drags down, that's on my 2500 sized Stradic FL, 2500 Sahara, and my 101 Curado..This is with 8lb Yozuri ultasoft copoly line. Never had a line break due to a fish being to strong for my line, same goes for freshwater too, of course I use disfferent weight lines, up to 20lbs for flippin, or tossin swimbaits. Very Happy

IMHO, a 2 or 3 lb bay bass should not be pulling any drag.. Wink
whats IMHO? scratch

Interweb speak for In My Humble Opinion..

The scope of my topic goes beyond a bay bass though. There are other fish in the sea. I understand the relativity to each person's taste in fishing But my taste are broader than just bay bass.

So if drag is not so important, why have drag at all? Why is drag a selling AND buying point for many fishermen?

If I land a 10# fish on 2# test did my drag setting come in to play? What does a drag setting on 2# test feel like? I think at a proper 25% doesn't feel like anything...just a guess.

If I go after WSB would it behoove me to have accurate drag settings or just do the pull test?

Would you fish a lever drag reel and just wing the drag settings ?

Can you get away with guessing at your drag on small game but can you get away with it on big game?

Does anyone know if drag increases or decreases as line is stripped away by a fish on the run?

27 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 am

.:LOLLY:.

avatar
Senior
Senior
waxon67 wrote:Does anyone know if drag increases or decreases as line is stripped away by a fish on the run?

If I'm not mistaken I believe the drag increases as line is stripped away. The reason is because you have less surface area so the spool has to spin more in order to get the same amount of line out compared to when it is full.

28 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 11:10 am

MASSfisher

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
waxon67 wrote:
Hammer 4 wrote:
Aquaholic38 wrote:
Hammer 4 wrote:For bay fishing, I lock my drags down, that's on my 2500 sized Stradic FL, 2500 Sahara, and my 101 Curado..This is with 8lb Yozuri ultasoft copoly line. Never had a line break due to a fish being to strong for my line, same goes for freshwater too, of course I use disfferent weight lines, up to 20lbs for flippin, or tossin swimbaits. Very Happy

IMHO, a 2 or 3 lb bay bass should not be pulling any drag.. Wink
whats IMHO? scratch

Interweb speak for In My Humble Opinion..

The scope of my topic goes beyond a bay bass though. There are other fish in the sea. I understand the relativity to each person's taste in fishing But my taste are broader than just bay bass.

So if drag is not so important, why have drag at all? Why is drag a selling AND buying point for many fishermen?

If I land a 10# fish on 2# test did my drag setting come in to play? What does a drag setting on 2# test feel like? I think at a proper 25% doesn't feel like anything...just a guess.

If I go after WSB would it behoove me to have accurate drag settings or just do the pull test?

Would you fish a lever drag reel and just wing the drag settings ?

Can you get away with guessing at your drag on small game but can you get away with it on big game?

Does anyone know if drag increases or decreases as line is stripped away by a fish on the run?



Like I was saying before it all depends. If I'm fishing for "big" fish I'm gonna measure my drags for sure. At this point breaking off isn't the only concern....I can imagine that getting spooled because your drag was too loose is a big problem as well. Not to mention the fact that you can have your drags set "too loose" and add a crap ton of time to the fight. Every minute added to the fight is another chance the fish could escape. Also, fighting a fish longer than needed is not good if you plan on CPR'ing.

I would say that you can "guess" your drag settings with smaller fish but it all depends what type of line you are using.

Another factor to consider is how much line is in the water? If you are fishing some really deep water with mono....well that is gonna add a ton of stretch to your line. Just something to think about...


I'm not an expert in this subject and wanna hear what the real salty guys have to say.


I don't know why but I do know that as a fish runs the drag DOES increase.

http://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

29 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 am

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
MASSfisher wrote:I don't know why but I do know that as a fish runs the drag DOES increase.

It is quite simple...as the drags warm up they expand increasing pressure.

30 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 am

MASSfisher

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
sonarbp wrote:
MASSfisher wrote:I don't know why but I do know that as a fish runs the drag DOES increase.

It is quite simple...as the drags warm up they expand increasing pressure.


I've never heard that one before.

So...if I measured my drag on a scale at 10 pounds and land a huge fish after he makes a few long runs on me, and then test my drag again it will measure at more than 10 pounds?

http://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

31 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 am

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
Yes...the true way to measure the drag is to warm them up first.

32 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Hammer 4

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
Well yeah, if your targeting fish that are heavier than the line your using, then yes, your drag comes into play. I was just stating what I do in the bays, and for most ponds/lakes.

Although I must admit, hearing your reel singing is one of life's little pleasures.. Very Happy

33 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 12:04 pm

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
Hammer 4 wrote:Well yeah, if your targeting fish that are heavier than the line your using, then yes, your drag comes into play. I was just stating what I do in the bays, and for most ponds/lakes.

Although I must admit, hearing your reel singing is one of life's little pleasures.. Very Happy

I agree with you Hammer 100%...fishing spotties you need to button down the drag so you can pull them away from structure.

34 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 12:09 pm

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
For you guys that want to learn more about how to set your drags here you go....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

35 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 12:15 pm

MASSfisher

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
sonarbp wrote:Yes...the true way to measure the drag is to warm them up first.

Cool! never knew that...

http://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

36 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Fisher

avatar
Senior
Senior
i let the fish tell me what my drag need to be y would u need something to tell u how loose or tight your drag should be i dont get it thats like saying there should be a hook point checker to make sure your hook is sharp enough hahah i have never lost a fish do to drag as far as i remember

37 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 pm

MASSfisher

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
Fisher wrote:i let the fish tell me what my drag need to be y would u need something to tell u how loose or tight your drag should be i dont get it thats like saying there should be a hook point checker to make sure your hook is sharp enough hahah i have never lost a fish do to drag as far as i remember


Actually to check the sharpnessoof your hook run the point over your fingernail.IIf it slides sharpen it! If it sticks you arue good to fish!

Hehe rabbit

http://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

38 Re: What a D R A G on Tue May 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Guest


Guest
wow, I just read 3 pages of blah blah blah.
Good subject Tom.

I do the pull test when fishing anything outside of bass (calicos, sandies and spotty) unless Im yoyo for yellows then its button down.

I know my gear inside and out and know the breaking point. This is the way I fish and it works for me. So all I have to say is fish what you like and the way you like. If its not broken and it works for you then why fix it/change.

IMO - using a scale to set your drags for anytype of local fishing is a waste of time. I would only do this if I was going on 8+ day trip out of S.D.

Exp : My last white seabass trip, My buddy had me help him setting his drags with scale and I out fished him caused I was able to keep my fish from getting to the kelp. His drags where too loose. I even up his drags by 3lbs on the scale cause they felt too loose.
This was his first and only time doing this set up and after that trip he wont be doing that again.




39 Re: What a D R A G on Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 am

bodfish


Junior
Junior

Hey Guys,
Wow! what a great post and even greater responses!

OK,... here's what I got on this one,...

Drag setting is a personal preference, that is keyed on your personal fishing style. Knowing your gear, the technique you are fishing and the conditions and fish you are pursuing, will dictate how lightly or tightly you will set your drag, and how well it will work for you. Experience will tell you how tight to set it. And it is something that is dynamic in nature. You will be changing it throughout the fishing session.(at least you should be) I change my drag CONSTANTLY throughout the day.

Setting your drag using a scale is a good starting point if you need one but not much else. It is only a reference as to how much pressure you are applying to your line in relation to the lines breaking strength. Never mind that a majority of fisherman almost NEVER pressure their gear to break point.

I typically set my drag too heavy by book standard, especially for short line (freshwater) fishing, because I am most concerned about hook set and avoiding structure.

For longer line, (saltwater) where greater water drag issues occur, (deep open water) a bit lighter, because it is more about a sustained fight at greater distance. (more pressure)

Also, drag setting, like fighting technique is about personality. Aggressive fisherman tend to get their drags tighter as opposed to guys who are less agro.

In the end, don't over think the drag thing, but at the same time don't underestimate it's significance.

Your drag should be set tight enough to set the hook FIRST!, but light enough to allow the fish his head when necessary to prevent pulling the hook, or blowing your knot. It's a learning curve, based on your style.

bodfish

40 Re: What a D R A G on Wed May 09, 2012 12:30 am

Aquaholic38

avatar
Senior
Senior
bodfish wrote:
Hey Guys,
Wow! what a great post and even greater responses!

OK,... here's what I got on this one,...

Drag setting is a personal preference, that is keyed on your personal fishing style. Knowing your gear, the technique you are fishing and the conditions and fish you are pursuing, will dictate how lightly or tightly you will set your drag, and how well it will work for you. Experience will tell you how tight to set it. And it is something that is dynamic in nature. You will be changing it throughout the fishing session.(at least you should be) I change my drag CONSTANTLY throughout the day.

Setting your drag using a scale is a good starting point if you need one but not much else. It is only a reference as to how much pressure you are applying to your line in relation to the lines breaking strength. Never mind that a majority of fisherman almost NEVER pressure their gear to break point.

I typically set my drag too heavy by book standard, especially for short line (freshwater) fishing, because I am most concerned about hook set and avoiding structure.

For longer line, (saltwater) where greater water drag issues occur, (deep open water) a bit lighter, because it is more about a sustained fight at greater distance. (more pressure)

Also, drag setting, like fighting technique is about personality. Aggressive fisherman tend to get their drags tighter as opposed to guys who are less agro.

In the end, don't over think the drag thing, but at the same time don't underestimate it's significance.

Your drag should be set tight enough to set the hook FIRST!, but light enough to allow the fish his head when necessary to prevent pulling the hook, or blowing your knot. It's a learning curve, based on your style.

bodfish

greate respose bodfish! I couldn`t agree more. And I must admit I learn a thing or two about this subject with so many points of view and theories. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

41 Re: What a D R A G on Wed May 09, 2012 2:07 am

flyfishingfool

avatar
Admin



FYI: be sure to decrease the drag when your reel is not being used (ex: after a day of fishing/storage). Leaving the drag under tension(tight)will damage drag components.



_________________
Team Trucha On Facebook


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

42 Re: What a D R A G on Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 am

MASSfisher

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
Awesome response Bodfish.

Flyfishing fool makes a great point as well. Just remember to tighten it when you start to fish though. Cant tell you how many times Ive lost the first fish of the day because i go to set the hook and the drag is loose. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

43 Re: What a D R A G on Thu May 10, 2012 8:45 am

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
Well I just heard from someone who is a fresh water bass man and a guide. He had no real opinion on using a scale or not but states either way drag should be 80-90% of line test. So that is way out there to me but this guy runs 700+ fish quota per year so who the heck am I to argue.

What ever works I suppose. No real answer or conclusion to this topic as far as I can see. Thanks to everyone for contributing!!

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum