The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Log in

I forgot my password



Latest topics

» Leg and foot cramps..not fun
by Ornery Bob Yesterday at 12:12

» 7 Bass is coming
by woodpig Yesterday at 10:44

» Lobster Season!
by Ornery Bob Mon 18 Sep - 20:01

» Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL
by Jerdon Mon 18 Sep - 17:38

» 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive
by jeffcpr Mon 18 Sep - 16:50

» Midwest Fly Guys?
by woodpig Mon 18 Sep - 9:35

» Net Technique?
by Ornery Bob Mon 18 Sep - 7:54

» Newbie in Los Banos, CA
by Ornery Bob Mon 18 Sep - 7:13

» Float Tube Tournament
by jeffcpr Fri 15 Sep - 14:32

» Hello From Michigan
by jeffcpr Thu 14 Sep - 19:20

» Okuma "Celilo" ultralight rods?
by Ornery Bob Wed 13 Sep - 19:31

» Have you ever gone swimming?
by branders Wed 13 Sep - 14:19

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner


You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Fishing Tackle And Gear Related Discussions » What a D R A G

What a D R A G

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 8:03

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
Setting drag. Hmmm. I pay pretty close attention to this lately. Do you? I bought a drag scale. I now dial it in on each reel. I go 1/4 to 1/3 (jury out on this) of line test on each reel.

Do you measure your drag? Do you just do the "pull feels about right" method? Do you check your drag with terminal tackle in place or with out?

I check with out. How about you?

I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks

2 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 8:15

.:LOLLY:.

avatar
Senior
Senior
I usually do the pull check.

There are different variables that come in to play when I am setting my drag. Targeted species, structure, reel, and line test.

3 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 8:20

Aquaholic38

avatar
Senior
Senior
.:LOLLY:. wrote:I usually do the pull check.

There are different variables that come in to play when I am setting my drag. Targeted species, structure, reel, and line test.
X2

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

4 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:00

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
The pull check is not the way to set your drags! I am guilty of doing this too, but 9 time out of 10 if you set your drag this way it is way way to tight!

Here is a great read on how to set your drags....enjoy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:01

Tubinferbass

avatar
Senior
Senior
Yeah the pull test works for me..... As soon as I get to my spot its the first thing I do but my drag is allways set super loose an use my thumb to set hook an keep tension on my spool.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

6 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:07

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
Tubinferbass wrote:Yeah the pull test works for me..... As soon as I get to my spot its the first thing I do but my drag is allways set super loose an use my thumb to set hook an keep tension on my spool.

See...your drag is not set right! If it was there would be no need to use your thumb to keep tension on the spool for a hook set. Thumbs Up

7 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:13

Aquaholic38

avatar
Senior
Senior
sonarbp wrote:
Tubinferbass wrote:Yeah the pull test works for me..... As soon as I get to my spot its the first thing I do but my drag is allways set super loose an use my thumb to set hook an keep tension on my spool.

See...your drag is not set right! If it was there would be no need to use your thumb to keep tension on the spool for a hook set. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I`m with tubing... I really dont think there is a "Wrong" way to set the drag. if you got skills (wich I dont) you can do it that way. is like driving, if you got skills you wouldnt need the clotch to shift.

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

8 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:15

.:LOLLY:.

avatar
Senior
Senior
In that case I must be really good because my car shifts for me lol!

9 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:15

Tubinferbass

avatar
Senior
Senior
sonarbp wrote:
Tubinferbass wrote:Yeah the pull test works for me..... As soon as I get to my spot its the first thing I do but my drag is allways set super loose an use my thumb to set hook an keep tension on my spool.

See...your drag is not set right! If it was there would be no need to use your thumb to keep tension on the spool for a hook set. Thumbs Up



lol! O its set right I jus like a loose drag Wink I found out loose is better than tight lot less broken lines.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

10 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:18

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
That was a good read Sonar, thanks for posting it. I like the idea of having a fixed number in my head when setting my drags. Using a spring scale is how I have learned to do this. Knowing the drag is sorted out leaves me the head space to remember my rod angles and fighting my fish. I had a nice SB last night on a barbless jig and just knowing the combo was dialed in gave me a confidence to enjoy catching that fish. I didn't just "horse" it in but enjoyed all the gear working together it just made the "zen" for me. For some reason I think it was better for the fish too. But don't ask me to explain why I think that!

11 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:21

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
Tubinferbass your breaking off is not cause of a tight drag...it is more likely to be because of a jerky or non-smooth drag. If a drag is not smooth you will break off alot more.

12 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:21

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
Well, I didn't mean to start a "right" or "wrong" element to this topic. But, I would ask anyone to do a "pull" test and wager on the accuracy of drag setting against actually measuring the drag.

It always comes down to fish what ya like and like what ya fish.

13 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:23

Aquaholic38

avatar
Senior
Senior
I think the # test is to set the max of drag. but is never too loose, like I said, if you got the skills...

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

14 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:29

Tubinferbass

avatar
Senior
Senior
Lol its all up to the fish on the end of your line shell tell you how tight or loose to set the drag. Ive landed some 2 to 3 lbers n then land a 7 n 8 lb gotta change on the fly cant jus stick to one setting. Like aqua said skills....... all up to the angler.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

15 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:30

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
Aquaholic38 wrote:I think the # test is to set the max of drag. but is never too loose, like I said, if you got the skills...

I have 50# braid on my Revo 60.. It has 22# max drag. Can't do the math lol!

16 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:32

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
Tubinferbass wrote:Lol its all up to the fish on the end of your line shell tell you how tight or loose to set the drag. Ive landed some 2 to 3 lbers n then land a 7 n 8 lb gotta change on the fly cant jus stick to one setting. Like aqua said skills....... all up to the angler.

So do you adjust your drag up and down during a fight?

17 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:40

Aquaholic38

avatar
Senior
Senior
waxon67 wrote:
Aquaholic38 wrote:I think the # test is to set the max of drag. but is never too loose, like I said, if you got the skills...

I have 50# braid on my Revo 60.. It has 22# max drag. Can't do the math lol!
with that # test what are you woring about setting the drag too tight? lol

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

18 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:48

Hammer 4

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
For bay fishing, I lock my drags down, that's on my 2500 sized Stradic FL, 2500 Sahara, and my 101 Curado..This is with 8lb Yozuri ultasoft copoly line. Never had a line break due to a fish being to strong for my line, same goes for freshwater too, of course I use disfferent weight lines, up to 20lbs for flippin, or tossin swimbaits. Very Happy

IMHO, a 2 or 3 lb bay bass should not be pulling any drag.. Wink

19 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:49

Aquaholic38

avatar
Senior
Senior
Hammer 4 wrote:For bay fishing, I lock my drags down, that's on my 2500 sized Stradic FL, 2500 Sahara, and my 101 Curado..This is with 8lb Yozuri ultasoft copoly line. Never had a line break due to a fish being to strong for my line, same goes for freshwater too, of course I use disfferent weight lines, up to 20lbs for flippin, or tossin swimbaits. Very Happy

IMHO, a 2 or 3 lb bay bass should not be pulling any drag.. Wink
whats IMHO? scratch

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

20 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:51

wiseguy

avatar
Senior
Senior
I also like a loose drag and use my thumb as back up and adjust the drag on the fly. Even on super loose drag settings, I've been busted off before! There really isnt a right or wrong way to do it. Just find what works best for you, that's all.

21 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:52

jeffcpr

avatar
Admin
I do the pull feel test, pull a bit and ya it feels right. This is an area I should learn more about, but I think I need start with understanding how to set my reel right first.


_________________
Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

22 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 9:57

Hammer 4

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
Aquaholic38 wrote:
Hammer 4 wrote:For bay fishing, I lock my drags down, that's on my 2500 sized Stradic FL, 2500 Sahara, and my 101 Curado..This is with 8lb Yozuri ultasoft copoly line. Never had a line break due to a fish being to strong for my line, same goes for freshwater too, of course I use disfferent weight lines, up to 20lbs for flippin, or tossin swimbaits. Very Happy

IMHO, a 2 or 3 lb bay bass should not be pulling any drag.. Wink
whats IMHO? scratch

Interweb speak for In My Humble Opinion..

23 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 10:14

waxon67

avatar
Senior
Senior
Aquaholic38 wrote:
waxon67 wrote:
Aquaholic38 wrote:I think the # test is to set the max of drag. but is never too loose, like I said, if you got the skills...

I have 50# braid on my Revo 60.. It has 22# max drag. Can't do the math lol!
with that # test what are you woring about setting the drag too tight? lol

Well, it was just an example. AND it does matter. Wink

24 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 10:29

sonarbp

avatar
Junior
Junior
waxon67 wrote:Well, it was just an example. AND it does matter. Wink

It really does wax! Think about it like this....with a drag set properly it does the least amount of damage to the fish. If you fish with a drag that is too loose you have to add tension to the spool possibly tearing the hook out of the fish. Same true if you fish with a drag buttoned down.

25 Re: What a D R A G on Tue 8 May - 10:34

MASSfisher

avatar
Old Timer
Old Timer
Depends what I'm fishing for and what type of line I'm using.

Mono for bigger fish....I use a scale. Haven't had to do this since I was on the east coast using 20# mono for stripers.

Out here in the bays I use 40# braid 95% of the time. I do the "pull" method and it has worked fine for me. If I hook into a really big fish or I'm being pulled tight to structure I may tighten or loosen the drag as I'm fighting. Not the best method but I've become pretty good at it and haven't had a problem.

If I'm fishing for halibut I'll set the drag looser than normal...the same goes for corvina (I target them occasionally but have only caught 1 as by catch). Both of these fish have weaker than normal mouths and IMHO a looser drag is better than a tight one.

This is a good topic though. For freshwater I keep mine buttoned down most of the time. Like Hammer said a 2-3 pounder shouldn't be pulling crap.


Ohh for trout I keep it loose though. I've only caught 1 trout in my life and don't plan on targeting them ever again...but with 4 pound line you lose some confidence in your knots (well, I do) and can't be too careful lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum