Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube, Pontoon, and Equipment Related Discussions » Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing

Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:07 pm

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior
I know a few of you have been there, done that.
How do the tubes act with the wave surge on the outside breakwater at San Pedro?
I mentioned my plan to target Opaleye Perch right up against the kelp growing on the breakwater to some of my club buddies and they thought I was crazy. They thought that I would get washed up on the rocks with the wave surge
Of course, I would not attempt this if the surge was too big.
My club is having an Opaleye derby in a few weeks.

What's your experience with fishing on the outside of the breakwater?

The reason I'm needing to get so close to the rocks is because I think that they are hiding under the kelp and it's hard and IMO, dangerous to get the boat in that tight to anchor and still be in casting range.
I tried to target Opaleye twice last year and didn't have any luck
I do believe that they are there. Just hard to get to.

Here's a short video that I had observed their hiding behavior during the middle of the day at the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla last year
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

waxon67

Senior
Senior
My question is: if it is not safe to anchor close to your target zone, why would it be safe to tube there?

If it was me considering this I would train for it. I would take my tube out geared the way I intend to fish with it and hit some open surf. I would lauch and stay in the breaker zone and see how my gear handles it. Take some waves. Deal with some surge. Deal with some rip tides. A good swell can dump you every bit as much as a wave.

Things to ask yourself:

Can you get out of the water and into your tube?

In diving you learn to do "escapes" onto rocks. Can you handle this maneuver from your tube?

Are you prepared to risk losing equipment?

If you plan this around light to moderate conditions do you have a back up plan if you get out there and conditions are unfavorable?

Are you going to wear waders or a wet suit?

I only present these things because I see people get hurt just playing in the waves and surfing locally all the time. They get into trouble. I hear tubers talk about safety all the time but I sometimes wonder if they could handle a real problem on the water.

Aquaholic38

Senior
Senior
I would take my boat and anchor 200 feet from the rocks, and launch the tube from there, with as little gear as possible, leash your poles, wear a wetsuit and PFD, The worst thing that could happend is you get wiped out of your tube and cant get back on it, so then just swim to the boat and tow the tube. right? oh and def. dont go alone.

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

Lok Dog

Junior
Junior
just make sure the weather will be calm and you should be good, fish hard! Opal eye fight like hell! i've nailed some slabs at the seal beach jetty on the tube! try that sometime,..

http://www.facebook.com/lokey.rincon

the wall is not a place for your avg boater period.
if you have trolling motor on your boat use that and keep the main fired up. I would tube or boat the wall with in 5ft but thats it, anything less than that your asking for trouble.

Vagabond

Old Timer
Old Timer
Kayaaak Wink... or use a kelp clip to keep you from going into the rocks.

Aquaholic38

Senior
Senior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Kayaaak Wink... or use a kelp clip to keep you from going into the rocks.
thats exactly what i thought first...

http://www.freewebs.com/eduardobibriesca

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:My question is: if it is not safe to anchor close to your target zone, why would it be safe to tube there?

If it was me considering this I would train for it. I would take my tube out geared the way I intend to fish with it and hit some open surf. I would lauch and stay in the breaker zone and see how my gear handles it. Take some waves. Deal with some surge. Deal with some rip tides. A good swell can dump you every bit as much as a wave.

Things to ask yourself:

Can you get out of the water and into your tube?

In diving you learn to do "escapes" onto rocks. Can you handle this maneuver from your tube?

Are you prepared to risk losing equipment?

If you plan this around light to moderate conditions do you have a back up plan if you get out there and conditions are unfavorable?

Are you going to wear waders or a wet suit?

I only present these things because I see people get hurt just playing in the waves and surfing locally all the time. They get into trouble. I hear tubers talk about safety all the time but I sometimes wonder if they could handle a real problem on the water.
You bring up some good points, but I'm not picturing it being as extreme as you're making it out to be. Maybe you're describing it as the worst case scenario?
I spent a couple of days out on the LB outer wall last year so I have some idea how the surge is there.
I'm planning on putting in the water from my anchored boat that will act as the mother ship.
I have other areas that I can head to, if conditions make it questionable to fish there.
I do have a back up plan to fish another area if I don't feel safe.

Lok Dog

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You bring up some good points, but I'm not picturing it being as extreme as you're making it out to be. Maybe you're describing it as the worst case scenario?
I spent a couple of days out on the LB outer wall last year so I have some idea how the surge is there.
I'm planning on putting in the water from my anchored boat that will act as the mother ship.
I have other areas that I can head to, if conditions make it questionable to fish there.

If you need another nut to go with you i'm your guy! your never gonna know if its possible unless you do it yourself!

10 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 pm

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I would take my boat and anchor 200 feet from the rocks, and launch the tube from there, with as little gear as possible, leash your poles, wear a wetsuit and PFD, The worst thing that could happend is you get wiped out of your tube and cant get back on it, so then just swim to the boat and tow the tube. right? oh and def. dont go alone.
Wetsuit would make it easier if I ended up in the drink but I don't have any
Thinking I would be wearing my chest waders and wearing a PFD
One rod, a bucket, a small amount of tackle and some bait on my plain jane fish cat

11 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:59 pm

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior

If you need another nut to go with you i'm your guy! your never gonna know if its possible unless you do it yourself!
Thanks Lok Dog!
You and hammer are the guys that I know have been out there.

You wouldn't happen to know where the Pursuit fishes at Cat when they were having those good scores of Opaleye a few months ago? Somewhere on the front side I would imagine.
I'd head over there if I felt it increased my chances of winning our club derby and forget about fishing out of the tube

12 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Just give your self at least 5ft from the rocks and you should be fine. The kelp is pretty thick right now

13 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior
Wouldn't have to get any closer than 20-30ft. which would be too close for comfort if I had to anchor the boat at that distance

14 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm

n2deepfsw

Senior
Senior
I've been fishing the wall a lot lately, condition can be rough out there. Why don't you have someone captaining your boat while you tube and when your ready to get out he pick you up.

15 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Lok Dog

Junior
Junior
Thanks Lok Dog!
You and hammer are the guys that I know have been out there.

You wouldn't happen to know where the Pursuit fishes at Cat when they were having those good scores of Opaleye a few months ago? Somewhere on the front side I would imagine.
I'd head over there if I felt it increased my chances of winning our club derby and forget about fishing out of the tube

no i think at catalina they were nailing half moons,..

you can catch opal eye all around, mostly at jettys and kelp beds,.. im telling you, i once got into a WFO slab fest of opal eye at the tip of seal beach jetty! must have got about 30 or more on every drop with ghost shrimp, try that spot,..

16 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:57 pm

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Thanks guys
Thinking about fishing off the rocks so I could join you at the Ninja Gathering that night
Cool

17 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:12 am

waxon67

Senior
Senior
Well, IN2DEEP I fished out there as well. Just don't be overconfident in your abilities. I'm not making it out to be some EXTREME activity your going for. As Lok said you won't know until you try and I am all for trying. After all how long have you been tubing? I'm just saying cover your A$$ and cover it well. I'm planning to kayak there myself in the future. I am just sharing the thought process I am using for my own adventure. I hope you are successful and can bring back a lot of useful intel. No one wishes you more luck than me! (Little sarcasm...he he)

18 Re: Question About Wave Surge and Float Tubing on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 pm

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior
Thank you for your input Waxon Thumbs Up

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum