The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Holiday Gift Ideas
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Our 7th Annual FTFF Toy Drive is now in effect
by Jerdon Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» What do you think Saltwater VS Freshwater should we?
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

by jeffcpr Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

» Early present
by Hunt Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

» Santa Ana River Lakes
by GT Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am

» Edge Open Heel Flex Scuba Fin
by jeffcpr Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

» Wader and Boot Dryer
by SP Dan Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 pm

» Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stockingfoot Breathable Guide Pant
by jeffcpr Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

» Hello from Vhanaya
by Hunt Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 am

» Waterproof Reels - Penn Spinfisher and KastKing Sharky II
by singletrack Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

» Fish finder recommendations
by Jerdon Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube and Pontoon Tips, Tricks and Mods » DIY GoPro Pole Mount....and a question about PVC rod racks

DIY GoPro Pole Mount....and a question about PVC rod racks

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MASSfisher

Old Timer
Old Timer
Well, after watching fish chaser's bad ass videos I finally realized that making a pole mount for my GoPro was a must if I wanted to make some cool videos. Originally I bought a hiking pole from Big 5 sporting goods. It's like a ski pole but extends and locks by twisting the telescopic pieces. I mounted my GoPro to this and it worked fine for the first 2 trips but.....salt water doesn't mix well with anything and now my pole is broken. $20 down the drain.

After searching youtube and google I found this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Made a trip to Home Depot and for under $6 made a sick pole for my GoPro. I'm pretty pumped to try it out...was gonna use it today but forgot my memory card like an idiot.

What I plan on doing is somehow mounting this contraption on the left side of my tube with my pvc rod rack. This way I can have the camera on and angled towards me. I'm looking for a way to mount it so it's secure and won't fall off BUT need it so I can detach the pole really quickly for some underwater footage.

I was thinking about mounting it horizontally parallel to the water but can't think of a way to do it. I might have to mount it vertically but I feel like the footage won't be as good.

Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

TheAsianGuy

Old Timer
Old Timer
Just becareful about the sprinkler part. He's modified for land based. If it falls, it can be recovered. Water..well, better have diving gears ready. On that note, have a safety line attached from camera to pole, you should be fine. You can manipuate the angle with 45 degree elbows. That way, you can offset the horizontal taping with great angle of you catching the fishes, or vertical filming of the fishes being hauled in. My friend gave me a bike helmet cam that I want to use this Sat in hauling in the big hungry boys as well..but, plan got changed..oh well.

IN2DEEP

Junior
Junior
How about mounting some of these in a few different spots
Don't think they will too intrusive

sound like your just gonna have to buy 2 of them green happy

I would put a small float to the camra just case it went in and or put a leash on the pole. you have alot of opion here.
Myself, if the camra is mounted to pole pretty good to where you know its not going to come apart then I would put a nice long leash onto the pole. I also wouldnt push the pole down into the fitting all the way as its not the easiest thing to pull apart.

not sure if you seen this or not but this is a nice set up with a leash and everything but the only thing, its not easy to remove it when tuben and get some underwater shoots

http://www.fishinglakes.com/advanced_float_tube_rigging.htm

fishntoss

Bobber
Bobber

would a pool noodle do anything.??cut it and wrap it around the pole with tye straps.. scratch

MASSfisher

Old Timer
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips guys. I thought about the pool noodle and it seems like it would work.

I always "dummy chord" my gear....that's one good yhing the USMC has taught me....especially with expensive gear like NVG's and weapon optics.

For the pole I'm gonna guerrilla tape some chord to the end and from there will have it "dummy chorded" to my tube. As far as the GoPro.....i take a 10 inch piece of 30lb power pro and slip it around the metal hinge on the camera's case. From there I tie it securely around whatever piece of gear it's mounted to. They also sell GoPro floats that go on the back of the camera...i might.check them out again. I saw them on amazon one day but didn't get any or even look at how they worked or the customer reviews.

Tonight i will think of something....

MASSfisher

Old Timer
Old Timer
Oh and I almost forgot....the sprinkler head seems pretty secure but you never know. I was able to fine the end cap for the PVC pipe and as soon as i can find a way to drill a hole in it (i dont own any power tools) i will use this because it seems a lot sturdier. The end cap idea was the original idea that the guys who's tutorial i followed went off of.

MASSfisher

Old Timer
Old Timer
Dude i just reread this and i missed the link you posted miller. Holy crap that is one of the best tutorials ive seen....i already have my rod rack but might change it up after seeing that. I like how he mounted the camera behind him too....probably takes some cool footage.

jeffcpr

Admin
I like the idea that you posted, the pool noodle works great on PVC to help if it falls in the water. Millers idea of a float on the camera is what I was thinking right of the bat, good luck with your build bro. I think there are going to be some cool video's coming up soon.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com

HEADCASE881

Junior
Junior
Yeah i really like what the fishing lakes has as an idea now i know what in gonna do with my fish cat when it gets here

Docrunner

Junior
Junior
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
What I plan on doing is somehow mounting this contraption on the left side of my tube with my pvc rod rack. This way I can have the camera on and angled towards me. I'm looking for a way to mount it so it's secure and won't fall off BUT need it so I can detach the pole really quickly for some underwater footage.

I was thinking about mounting it horizontally parallel to the water but can't think of a way to do it. I might have to mount it vertically but I feel like the footage won't be as good.

Any ideas?

Yeah, I had this exact same idea. I would like a camera low left corner facing back. And a 2nd camera high right, just behind my right shoulder, looking forward. Ideally, both of them kind of adjustable. I like taking video of fishing with my son, and I was thinking it'd be cool footage to have his float tube lashed to my left side.. like a double float tube. That would put the low left camera pretty much in the middle. I think that'd be cool! Cool

I think I'm going to have the gopro and my Kodak Playsport on a smaller diameter PVC pole that fits into these 2 locations. I'll have a pin or bolt sticking out that will fit into a slot in the base and fix it's angle. I'll put a few options of slots, so I can rotate the camera by just lifting the rod pin out of the slot and move it to an adjacent slot. Or, take the whole PVC pole out so I can dunk it for underwater footage. By the way, there is a setting on the gopro to flip the video upside down for just this purpose (but not on my kodak playsport). (or maybe I'll eventually just have to look for another gopro on ebay)

Anyways, I don't even have my tube yet.. so this is just all in my head right now. We'll see how it turn out when I go into actual production mode!! lol!

MASSfisher

Old Timer
Old Timer
Sounds like a good idea Doc. The GoPro has a wide lens so if you put that in between you and your son it would capture both of you.....in HD.

Once you make your rig post up a few pics...id love to see how it comes out.

And wait till yall see my next video. I havent made it yet but im gonna have 3 cameras total including my gopro. Lots of different angles, lots of footage and lots of editing (if my computer lets me do it).

I really like the idea of cameras in the lower left and behind you as well doc, i feel like those are some really cool angles for footage. When you are viewing it, it feels more realistic that way.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum